Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Crusader Kings II to halt Gamersgate updates

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Summoning Metro for gloating.

Also Kosmonaut is trolling

Maintaining the DRM-free version (GG) of the game is more work than maintaining Steam integrated code? What a load of bullshit. ok maybe not but still sucks to ditch the one drm-free version

I better download the game while it is still available as a download at GG. They might remove the download option once they deliver Steam keys to all GG owners of the game.

hakuroshi

Augur
Fuck.
Well, it was long seen coming. Still have to admit, they sugarcaned this move quite gracefully.

No monopoly at all. It amazes me that people deny how Steam hurts all competition by implementing its trojan horse everywhere. Go to hell Paradox.

Wait, why is it Gaben's fault if Paradox feels the gamersgate version is too shitty to be worth the effort? :M

This is an incredible shitty decision. Fucking Paradox, what about us that don't have that stupid draconian DRM piece of crap called Steam installed?

You can keep at your little crusade while the rest of us is busy playing videogames.

edit: didn't see the username :lol:. You get a full :5/5: for that impersonation

Last edited:

Grinolf

Arcane

Don't hide with smile your lack of arguments. Better not reply at all, than reply that way.

Is Vicky 2 still being updated?

They have plans for few more expansions. And it also known, that Paradox decided to completely change election process in HoD, but ended up not having time for it, so it most likely wll be in the next expansion.

Maintaining the DRM-free version (GG) of the game is more work than maintaining Steam integrated code? What a load of bullshit. ok maybe not but still sucks to ditch the one drm-free version

Steam only required for multiplayer and updating your game with new DLC. And some useless stuff like achievements. You don't need to run in order to play single player Paradox game.

XenomorphII

Prophet
This isn't particularly surprising after EUIV and the general direction Pdox has been going. Little disappointing, but as long as they don't fuck up in getting keys out for everything it won't bother me.

Self-Ejected

Cosmic Misogynerd

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin

Don't hide with smile your lack of arguments. Better not reply at all, than reply that way.

What argument, dumbass. I don't have Steam installed and I don't plan to have it. I don't give a fuck if the thread is about Gamers Gate, the fact is that we will be given Steam keys for a game that I had on GG and that I played extensively. The GG version not getting updates means that I won't be able to update CK2 and get newer expansions, unless I get the Steam version.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Well, if there's one upside, I've been waiting for The Old Gods to go on sale on the GG version for fucking ages when Steam players have had 75% off of it like three times, so I'll finally get it. Still, this is shitty.

set

Cipher
I am NEVER buying another game again. This just sealed it. Wow, how could they do this?!

Delbaeth

Learned
Another dev running away from the true PC gaming to the resurgence of firmware locking. I thought that moving away from Atari and Amiga 20 years ago was a good move.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Okay, wait a moment.

They just stated they will not continue updating the VERY SPECIAL Gamersgate version of CKII. That version was bullshit to begin with. Gamersgate does not nearly have the reach of Steam so maintaining it is nonsense from a business perspective. I do not see it mentioned anywhere that they will not sell their games on platforms other than Steam, so if you buy their games on Gamersgate, Steam will not see money, if that is so important to you.

It would be a bit sad if there were no more versions without any DRM around, but really, I don't see a problem in installing Steam to play a game. It's not like it is some stupid kind of always-online-DRM.

After years of reading bitching about Steam, I have collected some arguments of the haters:
  1. Blah, blah, blah, evil.
  2. Yadda, yadda, yadda, big company bad.
  3. Herp derp DRM bad derp.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
tumblr_mstbx6fx6r1rlbyodo1_500.gif

Pike

Novice
This is pretty shitty, but GG has been going downhill lately too. DLC takes forever to download/install, interface sucks, and it has always been hard to buy from them without using paypal. Last night to get my Jew DLC I had to call my credit card customer service and sit on the phone with Indians to get GG to not decline my credit card. I don't know whose fault it was but newegg worked fine. Would still rather not feed the monopoly though.

Repressed Homosexual
Okay, wait a moment.

They just stated they will not continue updating the VERY SPECIAL Gamersgate version of CKII. That version was bullshit to begin with. Gamersgate does not nearly have the reach of Steam so maintaining it is nonsense from a business perspective. I do not see it mentioned anywhere that they will not sell their games on platforms other than Steam, so if you buy their games on Gamersgate, Steam will not see money, if that is so important to you.

It would be a bit sad if there were no more versions without any DRM around, but really, I don't see a problem in installing Steam to play a game. It's not like it is some stupid kind of always-online-DRM.

After years of reading bitching about Steam, I have collected some arguments of the haters:
  1. Blah, blah, blah, evil.
  2. Yadda, yadda, yadda, big company bad.
  3. Herp derp DRM bad derp.

Imagine if all fast-food restaurants could only sell you coupons so that you could redeem your order at McDonald's, and before you could redeem your order at McDonald's you have to have the clerk tell you about 7 different specials every single time. And anyone who wouldn't submit to this would be driven into obscurity and mediocrity due to McDonald's offering an infrastructure to allow this for free. Would you find it fair and competitive?

Repressed Homosexual
This is pretty shitty, but GG has been going downhill lately too. DLC takes forever to download/install, interface sucks, and it has always been hard to buy from them without using paypal. Last night to get my Jew DLC I had to call my credit card customer service and sit on the phone with Indians to get GG to not decline my credit card. I don't know whose fault it was but newegg worked fine. Would still rather not feed the monopoly though.

Hmmm I wonder why they have gotten downhill. Could it be because they are in an equivalent position to how Standard Oil's competitors used to be back in the days?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Your example is retarded HHR
If you want to translate it to Fast Food industry, they probably are going to use a centralized delivery system so everyone calls the same pool of riders that will create more efficiency instead of KFC rejecting an order due to lack of deliveryman while McDonald is idling with 2 riders.

I call that an improvement if all fast food deliveries are pooled together while their cooks (devs) remain separate.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, look. And again, not a single valid argument against Steam was raised.
It's not like there are none, but you aren't even trying. Most arguments I read about Steam really do boil down to what I posted.

Also... damn, that is one fluffy creature!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom