Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed CYOA - Mysterious Caves

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
It is windy and cold in early winter. You stand on top of a large boulder, in front of a mouth-like cavern entrance. The local guide who brought you here, from a nearby gathering place, was explaining the fame of these caves to you as you walked through snowy plains and the base of a hill.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
To the north, you see a white horse running downwards the slope and you can hear the howls of wolves as they chase something down; some kind of deer, perhaps? To the south, you can see an abandoned settlement that seems like it must have been part of a farm complex. And there are two almost hidden track paths leading westward, one of each you came from through the snowy plains. To the east, there's the cave entrance in the hill sloping upwards.

You don't know what's inside those caves, but there is something...

The guide points at the cave entrance and says: "This is where the goblins live."

"Goblins?" you ask.

"Yes," he replies. "The goblins live there. And other monsters too, I suppose."

"What do they eat?" you ask.

"I don't know. They probably steal food from the farms."

"And how many goblins are there?" you continue.

He looks back at you with a strange expression on his face. "How should I know? There are lots of them!"

"Lots of what?"

"They're everywhere! All over the place!"

"But..." you say, looking around. "Where are they all?"

"Oh, they're hiding behind rocks," he says and smiles. "They'll come out when they want to fight."

"Hiding behind rocks?" You laugh. "That doesn't sound very scary."

"Well, it isn't really," he shrugs. "Not compared to what else there might be lurking in there." He grins.

You look at him for a moment, then turn towards the cave opening again. This time, you look into it, and as you do so, you can make out a faint light from further within. The mouth of the cavern is open, but the wind is strong enough to push the snow in the mouth and on top of the boulder, but you and your guide don’t mind as you are warmed by the rising sun.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
You turn your attention to the white horse in the distance. It's hard to tell if it's just a wild animal or someone's mount. Either way, you decide to go after it and use your rope. It has stopped and it is breathing heavily in the cold dirty. As soon as you get close enough, you tie the rope around its neck and pull it towards you. As you look up to it, you notice that it's not only saddled, but also has a harness; maybe it's a war horse.

"Hey there!" you shout, getting closer. Then, you take off your pack and put it on the ground next to the horse.

The horse turns to look at you with its sharp black eyes. For a moment, they remind you of an eagle's, but then they relax. You untie it and put it on the ground next to the pack.

A moment later, you hear the horse neigh.

"Hey," you call out, walking towards it. "Don't worry. I won't hurt you. My name is Sir Knight, and this is my guide." You pat the side of your guide's head.

The horse lowers its head and snorts. "Good boy," you say, stroking his coat. He starts munching on grass, which makes you smile. "I'm going to take care of you now," you tell the horse.

Suddenly, the horse breaks itself from the rope, takes off and runs away, leaving you standing alone. "Waaah!" you scream. "Wait!" The horse keeps galloping down and disappears into the snow covered slope, behind trees and rocks.

It feels like there's a presence watching you, just beyond the reach of your sight... You look at your guide, who's sitting on the snow, holding his head with both hands. "My horse ran away," you say, laughing. The guide looks up at you and says, "That's your name now? Sir Knight? You might just as well call yourself Sir Hero," and he sneers. "You don't know how to handle horses. That's what happened," he says, but you're not paying him mind.

You look at the cave mouth again, wondering whether to enter it. But the cold wind is making it difficult to focus on your surroundings and you keep thinking about that horse that you almost captured but escaped. You sigh, pick up your pack and consider walking back towards the cave.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
In your pack you find your sword, a shining blade of tempered steel, with a sturdy hilt. It's quite old, but it still cuts like new. A leather belt with a buckle on it that you fit it around your waist. Now your pack is empty.

Your guide stands up. "Sir Knight," he says, looking at your empty hand. "Do you wish me to carry anything for you?"

"No, I can manage fine," you reply. "Can you provide me a torch?"

"Of course," he says, and walks over to a pile of wood and starts sawing it. In a short while, he brings a torch and offers it to you. "There," he says. Now, you need something to light your torch with.

Your guide turns around and picks up a small rock. "Will this work?"

You nod and take the stone, holding a small piece of tinder on top of the rock as you hit it so it will catch a spark and catch on fire. You light the torch and hold it in your hand. "Let's go," you say, smiling.

The wind is strong enough to push the snow in the mouth and on top of the boulder, but you and your guide don’t mind as you are warmed by the rising sun. You walk along the path until you reach a small opening, where the guide tells you that you are going to see the most wonderful place in the world. You feel excited as the wind pushes you into the cave.

"I told you before, this cave is famous. So many people come here," the guide says, as he is explaining the history of the cave to you. The cave was once the home of a giant who was so powerful that he could create a giant wind that blew the snow away and made the land fertile. You are not sure if you believe the legend, but you are sure that you are fascinated by the cave, and you are sure that you will return.

You are standing in the entrance of the cave, which is about 20 meters wide and 30 meters high, and you see a few stalagmites and stalactites inside. The inside of the cave is a round, wide, and deep space, and the roof is concave, there is no vegetation in the cave floor, and it looks cold. The guide asks you if you want him to go back, wait for you here, or even follow you, though he expects to be paid in loot if he stays at entrance or comes with you inside.

Alphard

Magister
What we do guys? i don't completely trust the guide , he seems a bit suspect wanting to follow us in a dangerous cave filled with monsters if he is a simple guide. on the other hand if he is really an enemy we shouldnt have him on our back.
so my vote is :

Follow me

also remember the circumstances how we met and ask about him and his family

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What we do guys? i don't completely trust the guide , he seems a bit suspect wanting to follow us in a dangerous cave filled with monsters if he is a simple guide. on the other hand if he is really an enemy we shouldnt have him on our back.
so my vote is :

Follow me

He's the guide, if anything he ought to be in front of us.

Alphard

Magister
so my vote is :

Follow me

He's the guide, if anything he ought to be in front of us.
yes i meant to say he comes with us ( third option) . he should stay ahead

hello friend

Arcane
So this is some kind of tourist trap cave, doesn't mean it isn't dangerous but this guy wouldn't be a tour guide unless he could handle himself. Doesn't mean he's under any obligation to prevent tourists from getting themselves into trouble unless they pay him for his services. Live and let live.

tell guide to follow

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
You tell the guide to follow you, and actually lead the way, as he's the guide.

As you saw him using a small saw in wood, you ask him what else has he brought and if he's armed. He tells that he carries no weapons other than he was blessed by an old god who chose him for this life. He shows you his holy symbol, which is a cross, carved into bone, and engraved with runes.

"Wow," you say, impressed. "Is it a real holy symbol?"

"It is," he replies, smiling. "It's a gift from Dagda."

You nod, but then frown. "But why does it look like it was made by a human?"

He laughs, looking down at his hand. "Because I made it myself." He looks up and smiles. "Dagda showed me how it works and gave me power and strength to do it."

You nod, looking around at the walls. "But did you bring any food or water? Or anything else?"

"No, no," he says. "I've got nothing." He looks at you.

"Why would he bring nothing? Surely he has a weapon or something to protect himself with," you think to yourself.

The guide keeps talking. "The first time I came here, I found the entrance of the cave. But I did not enter the cave. I just left at the entrance. After that, I came here several times, every time I left at the entrance." After a moment you ask, "So, how long ago did you discover the cave?" He sighs. "About three years ago." You try to remember the circumstances how you two met. You came to this land to leave your past live behind and was staying on the main road inn. You heard strangers were going to explore a cave nearby. A newly-made acquaintance of yours had been to the cave recently and recommended you to visit. You accepted and was told this was the local guide.

"What is your name?" You ask him. "I'm called Cael," he answers. You smile. "That's a great name! So is Sir Knight. Are you married? Do you have children?"

"No, no, I'm not married. Are these leading questions in an interview for marriage matchmaking service or something like that?" He laughs.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to pry," you apologize. "I just thought you had family in this land."

"No, no," he says, shaking his head. "In my previous life I was a scout in the army of another kingdom. I was the best, as far as I knew, and everyone liked me."

"So you will guide inside these caves?" You ask him. He nods. "How much do you expect to be paid?"

Cael thinks for a moment. "Nothing for now, but if we're successful in finding treasure, I may charge you a fee." You tell him to enter the huge cave entrance then.

You go deeper into the cave with strong wind on your backs, which is illuminated only by your torchlight. Near the entrance, the stalactites and stalagmites that are all over the cave look like they're dripping with fresh snow, making everything look white and sparkling. After some fifty paces inside the cave you see a natural stairway of sorts leading to an upper tunnel. Will you climb up to the higher level or keep walking along the wide tunnel?

Alphard

Magister
also examine for what is possible the ground of the wide tunnel for some sign of passing, eg any material not belonging to the cave environment.
then see if you hear some noise, of any kind, coming from the 2 roads

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
You look at the ground looking for signs or oddities other than snow and rocks. A few small sticks, or leaves, or branches. No footsteps or tracks of beats. You stop at this point to try and hear any noise that might serve as a clue. Maybe from outside, from the paths that lead to the cave? Nothing from outside, but you hear faint voices coming from somewhere in the distance down the wide, winding tunnel, but you can't make heads or tails of it.

Your guide points to a niche. "Look," he says, pointing to a part of the wall near the rocky stairway, illuminated by your torch. "I was told there's a secret room inside the caves, and it could be behind there."

"It's a perfect hiding spot for someone who wants to hide in this place." You confirm.

There are some strange markings on the steps and other rocks nearby that don't look natural, as if they're runes or symbols. Cael explains: "This is a sacred place," he says, touching the symbols. "It's a sign of the old god, Dagda. This is his temple, where he lives."

"What a nice little story." You think. Who knows, perhaps this place is actually sacred? And the reason why we're here is to worship the old god? Maybe it's time to give the old man a visit, and see what he has to say.

You step back and look at the guide. "Do you hear these voices coming from inside the tunnel?" You ask him.

He nods. "Yes, I do." You look up to see where the stairways lead. You don't know much about caves, but you assume that the stairways have been made by the old god himself. You start thinking about the voices from earlier. Maybe they were just echoes from the distant past? What is this old god doing in this land anyway? Is he some kind of ghost? Or is he really alive and just wants to be left alone?

The stairs are narrow, but not steep. They go up, and up.

"What do you think?" You ask the guide.

"I think we should explore this place," he replies.

You feel a bit nervous, but also excited. You're not sure what to expect, but you hope for good things. Holding your torch in one hand and your sword in the other. The wind is blowing hard through the wide tunnel, and it's cold.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
You decide to climb up the stairs, as the wind in the tunnel gets stronger.

"I've heard stories about this place," Cael says, "But I've never been here before." You look at the guide. "Some say this is where the old gods live, others say they are demons created by the dark magicians," he says, "and some say this whole place is cursed."

You nod, and then say: "Maybe you should pray for protection?" You continue climbing up the stairs. "What if something comes out?" The stairway goes on, with many twists and turns, until it reaches a small opening. It seems like it leads into a smaller cave with a large opening on the roof at the back of the cave, and it's very cold here.

The guide takes off his holy symbol and holds it high. "My god is Dagda. He is a gentle god. He has given me the gift of strength and bravery to do the right thing."

You take your holy symbol out, and hold it high. "My god is a god of war. He is Tyr. He fights for justice and defend the weak from the strong."

"Our gods watch over us," you say. "Protect us from the evil ones," you say. "May our spirits be protected" He repeats. With your sword raised high you move forward, into the small cave.

You see that it is about 50 square meters, and the floor is covered with snow, and there is nothing else in the cave except for a thin layer of rock, which makes it easier to walk. If anything of value was ever here, it's been long gone. You walk towards the back of the cave.

You reach the opening and look up. The cave roof is very high and you can see it extends to the top of the hill. You can't tell if there's any path up to the top, but if there is, you won't be able to explore it without ropes or ladders. You only hear wind blasting above.

You take a close look at the cave walls and find strange markings carved into the rocks, similar to the symbols your saw earlier. You can go back or do something else.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
You ask the guide to inspect the markings in this small room.

"It's the language of the old gods," Cael the guide explains, "I don't know their meaning."

You look at the guide. "Where did you learn about the symbols?"

"I wasn't taught them. I just instantly recognized them when I saw this place. They are all on the walls and the rocks."

"They must be important," you say. "Let's go back."

You return to the main tunnel, and start climbing down again. As you get closer to the bottom of the rock stairway, you notice a smell. It smells like rotten eggs mixed with smoke, and it's very unpleasant. You stop and look at the guide. "Did you smell that?" You ask him.

"Yes," he says, "and it's disgusting."

"And?" You ask. "Is it dangerous?"

"Not necessarily," he says, "but I'm not sure I want to stay here any longer." You look up the stairs to see if there was anything dangerous up there. You look around for anything that might cause the smell. There are no footprints on the ground, but you hear steps coming from the inside the cave, echoing in the walls.

You turn around and see Cael running up the stairs. "What is it?" You ask him. He looks at you with panic in his eyes. "Run! Hide!" he shouts. "Someone is coming."

You see the distant silhouette of three humanoid figures walking down the tunnel in your direction.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom