Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Fuck you all, I actually like those covers after som closer looking. It's a miracle that most of the people are correctly proportioned after all these years of shitty WoW-art. Also searched up a bunch of Next art. I find it fine, gotta say. I'm running a campaign in Rashemen right now, and god dammit if this pic isn't some of the best Rashemi art out there:

ArtTest_Culture1.jpg

Caim

Arcane
Either that Beholder hit that woman with an arm-shrinking ray or her arms are too short for her to wipe her own ass with.

Just look at her How does she even swing that sword with those things? Flail around and hope she windmills that Beholder in the face?

J1M

Arcane
A monster manual done in the style of cave paintings would be really cool.

(Even though I think all this concern over the art is silly.)

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A monster manual done in the style of cave paintings would be really cool.

(Even though I think all this concern over the art is silly.)
4E books looked terrible. Gotta have some aesthetics to get in the mood for an rpg.

Modron

Arcane
Either that Beholder hit that woman with an arm-shrinking ray or her arms are too short for her to wipe her own ass with.

Just look at her How does she even swing that sword with those things? Flail around and hope she windmills that Beholder in the face?

Either, the artist is being faithful to 80's fantasy and including a midget or that is some Liefeld Captain America shit.

or comedy answer

Alchemist

Arcane
The implication is when the Starter Set comes out (well before the core books), there will be some way to make characters. Seriously, it's going to be a mobile / web app - I'm calling it now. Hopefully not requiring a D&D insider subscription.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I bet they release a quick guide pdf for free like all systems do these days. Something around 30 pages which lets you make a simple character.

Alchemist

Arcane
I bet they release a quick guide pdf for free like all systems do these days. Something around 30 pages which lets you make a simple character.
Hmm maybe.. that would be better than an app. Probably it would have stripped-down character options - but it would be enough to get started. Then you have to buy the books for the full range of options.

Kahlis

Cipher
Fuck you all, I actually like those covers after som closer looking. It's a miracle that most of the people are correctly proportioned after all these years of shitty WoW-art. Also searched up a bunch of Next art. I find it fine, gotta say. I'm running a campaign in Rashemen right now, and god dammit if this pic isn't some of the best Rashemi art out there:
The art on a lot of those dev posts is really nice. Main thing I dislike about the cover artwork is how tightly cropped it is (single majestic character reaching out to the viewer in crazy wide angle stereoscopic 3D with nonexistent background details) and the monochrome thing they're trying to do across each book.

I just hope if the books are information dense, they aren't too visually cluttered. 3.5e rulebooks felt like they were typeset with MSWord at times.

Alchemist

Arcane
Main thing I dislike about the cover artwork is how tightly cropped it is (single majestic character reaching out to the viewer in crazy wide angle stereoscopic 3D with nonexistent background details) and the monochrome thing they're trying to do across each book.
Agreed - the cropping is unfortunate. There's no sense of any cool environments to explore. An actual "dungeon" on a core D&D book isn't too much to ask...

The way they're cropped it looks like a game all about crazy, epic combat encounters. But again - it's a generational thing - it's what the kids want now.

Caim

Arcane
From that quote, it's possible you'll need the PH/Starter Set to run a campaign, and the MM/DMG to make a character.
:troll:
In 4e, Gnomes were monsters in the initial release (pre-PHB 2). Looks like all PC races are monsters now.

Seriously, it's going to be a mobile / web app - I'm calling it now. Hopefully not requiring a D&D insider subscription.
Of course it will. The future of D&D is being linked with mobile devices so you can play using those.

And of course it will.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
The implication is when the Starter Set comes out (well before the core books), there will be some way to make characters. Seriously, it's going to be a mobile / web app - I'm calling it now. Hopefully not requiring a D&D insider subscription.

I don't think there's much chance of it not requiring a subscription. WotC hasn't published a D&D book since 2011, the money guys must be really jonesing by now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom