Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D games that aren't CRPGs

Erebus

Arcane
There have been plenty of CRPGs using the D&D settings, but also several other games that fall in different genres. I was wondering whether any of them was worth a try.

In the Forgotten Realms, the only non-CRPG that comes to my mind is Hillsfar (AKA "that horrible, horrible piece of shit").

In Dragonlance, I remember "Heroes of the Lance" and "Dragons of Flame". The first one was rather mediocre and the second one had very poorly designed difficulty. There's also some sort of flight simulation game ("Dragonstrike", I believe), but I have no idea what it's worth.

I'm pretty sure there have been Raveloft games that aren't CRPGs, but I know next to nothing about them.

I believe there has been at least one Birthright game, which was mostly a strategy game.

There's one Al-Qadim game ("Curse of the genie", I think). I gave it a try and it seemed rather interesting, but the excessive difficulty forced me to give up fairly quickly.

I know there's a Spelljammer game and I'm really curious to know what it's like. What I suspect is that you'd have to be on drugs to find it entertaining (much like PnP Spelljammer, I also suspect), but I'd appreciate some objective info from people who have actually played it.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Erebus said:
In the Forgotten Realms, the only non-CRPG that comes to my mind is Hillsfar (AKA "that horrible, horrible piece of shit").
Well there's also Demon Stone, and I don't know if you count the Dark Alliances as CRPG's (I don't).

I'm pretty sure there have been Raveloft games that aren't CRPGs, but I know next to nothing about them.
You mean Iron & Blood: Warriors of Ravenloft? Yeah, I don't blame you for not knowing about it. It's a fighting game. You know, like Mortal Kombat. But with Ravenloft characters. It was pretty awful.

I believe there has been at least one Birthright game, which was mostly a strategy game.
Gorgon's Alliance, yes, though I know nothing about it. There's also Dragonshard, an RTS in that 3E setting (Eragon? Ereborn?).

Multi-headed Cow

Gorgon's Alliance was kinda cool in a bad game sort of way. You managed your kingdom and occasionally could hire heroes and then play as them during adventures and crap. Could get boots of striding and springing and then bounce all over.

Erebus

Arcane
Sceptic said:
You mean Iron & Blood: Warriors of Ravenloft? Yeah, I don't blame you for not knowing about it. It's a fighting game. You know, like Mortal Kombat. But with Ravenloft characters. It was pretty awful.

I thought it was a fighting game, but the idea sounded so ridiculous that it made me doubt my own memory.

There's also Dragonshard, an RTS in that 3E setting (Eragon? Ereborn?).

Eberron. I didn't remember if it had already been used in a game.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Erebus said:
I thought it was a fighting game, but the idea sounded so ridiculous that it made me doubt my own memory.
I don't blame you. If you'd ever seen the game, you'd have tried to wipe it off your memory by any means necessary. It was really, really awful.

Eberron. I didn't remember if it had already been used in a game.
Thanks, that's the one. Yeah Dragonshard is in that setting. I think D&D Online is also Eberron, so if you split CRPG and MMO you can add that one too.

zeitgeist said:
Oh yeah forgot about it. Stronghold was a pretty cool strategy/management hybrid. The system was a little weird, and very barebone D&D, but the game was a lot of fun.

Heresiarch

Prophet
I'm still looking for the soundtrack of Demon Stone. The first stage's soundtrack is amazing.

mondblut

Arcane
Erebus said:

+ Blood & Magic, a lame RTS from IPLY.

In Dragonlance, I remember "Heroes of the Lance" and "Dragons of Flame". The first one was rather mediocre and the second one had very poorly designed difficulty. There's also some sort of flight simulation game ("Dragonstrike", I believe), but I have no idea what it's worth.

+ War of the Lance, pretty good oldschool wargame. And there was a sequel to Heroes and Dragons, which played a bit more like HeroQuest than sidescrolling arcade. Shadow of the Sorcerer or something like that it was called.

I know there's a Spelljammer game and I'm really curious to know what it's like. What I suspect is that you'd have to be on drugs to find it entertaining (much like PnP Spelljammer, I also suspect), but I'd appreciate some objective info from people who have actually played it.

Think Elite space combat + goldbox boarding.

To add to Stronghold, there was Fantasy Empires - Risk-type strategy + arcadish combats.

Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance did feel a bit "cheap", but it still remains one of my favourite games, due to its scope and ambition.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
mondblut said:
And there was a sequel to Heroes and Dragons, which played a bit more like HeroQuest than sidescrolling arcade. Shadow of the Sorcerer or something like that it was called.

Shadow Sorcerer.

EDIT: For a moment I thought that everybody had forgotten about The Summoning, except it turns out that it wasn't a D&D game. It was made and released by SSI, though. Aaaannd it's a Diablo precursor. :roll:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I wanted to reply to OP with torrent of names, but then check the thread and all games known to me mentioned already. :rpgcodex: in its finest.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Unkillable Cat said:
For a moment I thought that everybody had forgotten about The Summoning, except it turns out that it wasn't a D&D game. It was made and released by SSI, though. Aaaannd it's a Diablo precursor. :roll:
What? no it's not. No randomization, no respawning, no multiplayer, none of the features that make Diablo Diablo. Also, it was made by Dreamforge (Even Horizon at the time) and distributed by SSI. Pretty good game too, though it overdoes it with the teleporter puzzles. Very unique (and great) ending.

Erebus

Arcane
Fowyr said:
I wanted to reply to OP with torrent of names, but then check the thread and all games known to me mentioned already.

I'm less interested in names of D&D non-CRPGs than in opinions about what they're worth, so feel free to give yours !

Yeesh

Magister
Insane Psychic said:
Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance did feel a bit "cheap", but it still remains one of my favourite games, due to its scope and ambition.
It breaks my heart that we don't have more games like this. Or any other games like this. They could maybe condense the 3-way hybrid down to a 2-way by abstracting the adventure part (letting you equip characters and control their level ups, but sending them off to dungeons without direct control). Then they could focus on refining the strategy map and army combat.

Or whatever. It would just be nice to see some more.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Erebus said:
Fowyr said:
I wanted to reply to OP with torrent of names, but then check the thread and all games known to me mentioned already.

I'm less interested in names of D&D non-CRPGs than in opinions about what they're worth, so feel free to give yours !
I almost finished Spelljammer two times (and encounter game stopping bug twice, or maybe it's not bug... Information about this game too scarce) It was enjoyable in some aspects and overall good, but very bugged game. Combat was fine, but have somewhat atrocious encounter design (ton of paralysing umber hulks and only ice storm, lightning bolt and cone of cold for my mage (only captain gains experience from quests and travelling. All other officers gain exp from kills what they made. And this exp very low), several level 3 fighters and almost useless against umber hulks crew. Really? And fireballs don't work in ether.

Iron & Blood: Warriors of Ravenloft
I remember installing this game. And then I eradicate all memories about this horror. RAVENLOFT FIGHTING GAME. AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

Stronghold was that Sceptic said. Good and interesting game.

Fantasy Empires was OK. Combat on my P166MMX was really fast and I don't bother with moslo. I train my mages for 30 level, going to corner of the battlefield and press space very fast, thus killing all enemies by fireballs.
Still it's decent game for one or two evenings.

Seems what you played Heroes of the Lance more than I.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom