Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DAC does Rosh

Jason

chasing a bee
Pooperscooper got up close and personal with Rosh
15. What do you see for the future of Fallout fans or good RPGs in general?

Good RPGs are going to be around as long as folks want them and developers are willing to make them. It will take another publisher like Interplay in the mid-90s to consider bucking the trend to offer something worthwhile and imaginative in the AAA market to stand out from the rest of the FPS action clones, or it might come from a JRPG developer, as Japan and other parts of the world don't seem to believe the publisher hype that certain design concepts are outdated. Other than that, look towards the indie developers, like Age of Decadence.

As for where Fallout stands? Get used to Bethesda continuing to rape it with shitty dialog, stoned Talking Heads, a crappy barter system far inferior to the original, and anything else they care to ham in for puerile appeal. Also count on Obsidian releasing a half-finished game, and the title being name-dropped constantly in the gaming media without anyone really knowing the true impacts the originals had upon the industry or other developers. That is where Fallout stands, as an Oblivion mod, with almost no other defining characteristics brought to the recent title.

My best advice to Fallout fans: Find another game. This isn't Fallout anymore.

Rosh

Erudite
Another quite important point about that interview, in regards to Obsidian:

14. What do you think about Obsidian working on Fallout: Vegas? Do you think Bethesda had any other goals for allowing Obsidian to work on a Fallout title rather than freeing up the workload at Bethesda? Bethesda has been notorious for controlling the Fallout license and not taking advice from the community, don't you find them out sourcing to some older Fallout developers as a somewhat reversal on that position?

Not at all. When, not if, Obsidian releases a half-finished title like the rest of their work, Bethesda and their fanboys can simply point at Obsidian's Feargus-style "SLAM DUNK!" and go "Hah, see? Our game was better! I guess some of the fans were wrong in wanting them to make a Fallout game! LOLZ."

Sawyer, Avellone, your thoughts?

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Pooper forgot to ask the most important question, though: just how many moves do you think ahead in chess?

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Rosh said:
When, not if, Obsidian releases a half-finished title like the rest of their work, Bethesda and their fanboys can simply point at Obsidian's Feargus-style "SLAM DUNK!" and go "Hah, see? Our game was better! I guess some of the fans were wrong in wanting them to make a Fallout game! LOLZ."
New Vegas will rock, it will rock even harder than your sweet little daughter's bed did when I took her virginity. Just wait and see.

Rosh

Erudite
Nicolai said:
Pooper forgot to ask the most important question, though: just how many moves do you think ahead in chess?

I don't have to think ahead any number of moves in chess.

I already won. :D

Rosh

Erudite
The Dude said:
What happened to your own indie project Rosh? Didn't you have something cooking a couple of years ago?

It's still going quite fine. In fact, we've also picked up an idea for a subterranean siege game, brought about in part by that one D&D supplement that had cavern tiles for making expansive underground cave formations.

Rosh

Erudite
Kingston said:
What did you work on in UO? It's the only good MMO I know of (well, before Renaissance kicked in).

For a while, my forte - testing. The core of the game was pretty decent (for a comparatively untried market/design outside of Meridian 59), but it was when they started adding in new stuff without any regard to the previous work, and didn't test it worth a shit, that it became full of exploits (especially when Tom "Evocare/Kalgan" Chilton of UO/WoW infamy was involved). I tested out a lot of the mechanics, in particular poisoning because it was foreseen to be a bit of a nuisance, though I was still a devious bastard when it came to killing the unsuspecting. "Oh, hey...there's a health potion sitting out in the middle of the road! I could use that!" Hehe, sucker.

I later ran a few shard events, and found that I needed to have a character that I could use to get guilds to interact together.

Eliezer Havelock was born. His role as a spymaster was never realized by many players until it was far after the fact, sometimes even years later. I constantly sowed conflict, chaos, and made things a bit fun for a few major guilds/player run cities. I even gave a few former griefer guilds a bit of a constructive purpose, interacting with other guilds to the point where they left common folks alone because they had other things to worry about. Of course some just kept killing to keep their murder count up. (And despite the pain in the ass they caused for the GMs, I loved JoV...they made things fun and exciting.) That kind of stuff you really don't see much anymore in MMOs, and I've taken a look at WoW. Unless it has to do with broken, imbalanced PvP, or incessantly raiding the same place week after week for months, it resembles a greatly retarded IRC room in the capitol cities.

Plus I had extensive experience as a MUD admin/writer, and that's all Raph Koster really did - copy a few non-standard MUDs and used a small degree of the Ultima setting.

His "work" on revising SW:G was far more indicative of his true talents and design theory.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom