Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

SQUIDKamer

Literate
I started work on Warm Ashes again as well as another update to Daggerfall Enemy Expansion. Warm Ashes as I've said in other realms will be moving to C# rather than the quest system. The goal for WA no is to expand into making the world feel more alive than with the previous version. Encounters, events, and such will happen not just at dungeons exteriors, but at any location, any time. I'll be working on modules over time to expanded each update with more events and quests. You'll be able to find proper NPCs in the wilderness as well as talk with them as you would anyone within a building. Encounters in the wilderness will also have expanded detail ascociated with them. (Example: Finding bodies, loot, campsites.) Events will also be occurring within dungeons be it finding other adventurers or dungeon type exclusive events. I'll also be putting in some effort for Wilderness Exclusive Quests. This will be focusing on species with different languages being able to give you quests, and so on. It will support all my new enemies from Daggerfall Enemy Expansion as well as utilizing Daggerfall Expanded Textures. As for DeX, I'll be creating another new set of enemies. The update will focus on some mystical creatures, wildlife, the Battllspire Beastairy, unqiue class graphics, and mount up all class enemies on horses that didnt previously exist.
FvVvlpgWIAEBa1f
Fs-o09FWYAMxOZ-

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I beat this. Hadn't played Daggerfall in ages. It's an interesting game.

It has a massive open world, but I just fast traveled for quests. How I played this was more like a dungeon crawler. Get quest, travel to dungeon, clear objective, go to town, train/rest/level up/buy sell stuff, get quest, rince and repeat.

The biggest decline in sequels is dungeons. The removal of climbing is sad. Level scaling is so-so. From my understanding, monsters don't scale, but humans do. Veriety in enemies isn't the best. Early on, I was fighting the same things for hours. Guild quests have the same problem. Do the same quests until you rise in ranks. I did enjoy creating different types of spells, just to see their effects, and what was possible to create.

I didn't care much for the story, but that goes for the whole series. Soundtrack is top notch, and I still like the look of the game. A blessing is that you don't have a gazillion scrap items to pick up.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
It has a massive open world, but I just fast traveled for quests. How I played this was more like a dungeon crawler. Get quest, travel to dungeon, clear objective, go to town, train/rest/level up/buy sell stuff, get quest, rince and repeat.
Methinks nothing wrong with this gameplay formula.
Combat, leveling-up, enemy variety, character creation and dungeon crawling itself could use some improvement.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How I played this was more like a dungeon crawler. Get quest, travel to dungeon, clear objective, go to town, train/rest/level up/buy sell stuff, get quest, rince and repeat.
That's how you're supposed to play it.
Sure, but it's funny when peoole bring up the size of the world of Daggerfall, but there is no reason to really explore on foot.

Kabas I do not disagree about there being nothing wrong whit the gameplay formula. I was just aaying how I played the game.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I see
Sure, but it's funny when peoole bring up the size of the world of Daggerfall, but there is no reason to really explore on foot.
There is a reason why stuff that improves the overworld visuals like adding grass or mountains and that airship mod appear to be so popular. They really help you to appreciate the sheer scale of the world even if it's mostly consists of empty procedurally generated hills.

BruceVC

Magister
I have some exciting news , I am playing this game for the first time properly (I tried it 18 months ago but I didnt do proper DFU or mod research and I stopped after 6 hours or so)

This time I was motivated by the numerous discussion on this thread and I spent about 12 hours watching DFU mod videos and reading up on mods on DF workshop forums. I am using DREAM with all the relevant presets and I have about 100 mods installed and so far, 6 hours in, Im having a great time and all my mods are working as expected. I am using Vortex mod manager and I did have to confirm files were moved into the correct locations but that wasnt for all my mods

I watched videos like this around suggested mods

And then the mod community is incredibly helpful and people go so far as to create this link with is an excel spreadsheet with different mod builds that are suggested and what may conflict with what mod (use tabs at the bottom to see the different builds suggested )

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ToVGliR7oesLEaSlWrT23JS3I/edit#gid=1397230399

These are the mods I have installed, if anyone has any concerns about mod conflicts or what might cause a CTD let me know.

• 3d enemies
  • advanced teleportation
  • animated people
  • aquatic spirits
  • archeologist guild
  • banditry and merchants
  • basic magic regen
  • basic roads
  • birds of daggerfall
  • climates and calories
  • climates travel map
  • convenient clock
  • DREAM
  • DF enemy expansion
  • DFU Quest pack
  • DFU Quests Reranked
  • Diemas Dungeon Replacement
  • Distant Terrains
  • Diverse Weapons
  • DREAM Transparent Windows
  • Dungeon Loot
  • Dynamic Skies
  • Faithful 3d animals
  • Field Alchemical kit
  • Finding my religion
  • Fixed Desert Architecture
  • Fixed Dungeon Exteriors
  • Handpainted Models
  • Harvetable Crops
  • HD enhanced
  • Hidden map locations
  • Hotkey HUD (this apparently clashes with DREAM )
  • JF Questpack
  • Jobs of the Thief Guild
  • Enchanted Compass
  • Levelling inspiration
  • Limited Gold Shops
  • Lively Cities
  • Locked Loot Containers
  • Lootmenu main
  • Lousy Lycons
  • Love and Lust
  • Mighty Magic
  • Nines Cathy
  • NPC health indicators
  • Power Struggle
  • Prostitutes and Lovers Quest pack
  • Prostitutes and Lovers
  • Random little quests
  • Readied hands for spellcasting
  • Real Grass
  • Roleplay Realism
  • SIGIL
  • Simple 3d trees
  • Skill Books
  • Skulduggery
  • Sneak and Crouch combined
  • Stealthy Thief Quests
  • Taverns Redone
  • Temples cure poison
  • The Penwick Papers
  • Town Graveyard Dungeons
  • Training Service Overhaul
  • Travelling alchemists
  • Traveloptions
  • UncannyUI
  • Unofficial Block Location
  • VampiricOptions
  • Warm Ashes
  • Weather Items
  • Wilderness NPCS
  • Wilderness Overhaul
  • World of Daggerfall

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
I have some exciting news , I am playing this game for the first time properly (I tried it 18 months ago but I didnt do proper DFU or mod research and I stopped after 6 hours or so)

This time I was motivated by the numerous discussion on this thread and I spent about 12 hours watching DFU mod videos and reading up on mods on DF workshop forums. I am using DREAM with all the relevant presets and I have about 100 mods installed and so far, 6 hours in, Im having a great time and all my mods are working as expected. I am using Vortex mod manager and I did have to confirm files were moved into the correct locations but that wasnt for all my mods

And then the mod community is incredibly helpful and people go so far as to create this link with is an excel spreadsheet with different mod builds that are suggested and what may conflict with what mod (use tabs at the bottom to see the different builds suggested )

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ToVGliR7oesLEaSlWrT23JS3I/edit#gid=1397230399

These are the mods I have installed, if anyone has any concerns about mod conflicts or what might cause a CTD let me know.

• 3d enemies
  • advanced teleportation
  • animated people
  • aquatic spirits
  • archeologist guild
  • banditry and merchants
  • basic magic regen
  • basic roads
  • birds of daggerfall
  • climates and calories
  • climates travel map
  • convenient clock
  • DREAM
  • DF enemy expansion
  • DFU Quest pack
  • DFU Quests Reranked
  • Distant Terrains
  • Diverse Weapons
  • Dungeon Loot
  • Dynamic Skies
  • Faithful 3d animals
  • Field Alchemical kit
  • Finding my religion
  • Handpainted Models
  • Harvetable Crops
  • HD enhanced
  • Hidden map locations
  • JF Questpack
  • Enchanted Compass
  • Levelling inspiration
  • Limited Gold Shops
  • Lively Cities
  • Locked Loot Containers
  • Lootmenu main
  • Lousy Lycons
  • Love and Lust
  • Mighty Magic
  • Nines Cathy
  • NPC health indicators
  • Power Struggle
  • Prostitutes and Lovers
  • Random little quests
  • Real Grass
  • Roleplay Realism
  • SIGIL
  • Simple 3d trees
  • Skill Books
  • Skulduggery
  • Stealthy Thief Quests
  • Taverns Redone
  • Temples cure poison
  • The Penwick Papers
  • Travelling alchemists
  • Traveloptions
  • UncannyUI
  • VampiricOptions
  • Warm Ashes
  • Weather Items
  • Wilderness NPCS
  • Wilderness Overhaul
  • World of Daggerfall

Awesome. Wish I had the stamina to finish the game, I personally really love the intricate storyline in this game (as far as I've seen) with all the political intrigue woven in.

The road travel mod and the survival mods (I forget the names) are what transformed the game into something completely new for me. I also used a random location start mod and began up in the far northeast mountain province. Suddenly, I felt like I was playing a klondike trapper simulation, especially when I stopped fast traveling completely. Epic experience.

Lemming42

Arcane
Love the Archaeology guild mod. Finally a use for the long-mocked linguistics build.

One mod I'd really love to see is one that remakes the main quest dungeons to be a bit more logical in layout and more visually distinct. Some of them are actually not that bad already - Scourg Barrow and Direnni Tower don't need any changes at all, and Woodborne Hall is decent - but shit like Castle Daggerfall, Castle Sentinel, and maybe Lysandus' Tomb could do with being made a bit less labyrinthian and a bit more focused.

ReturnToTradition

Barely Literate
Been playing DFU recently myself. Mods definitely transform this game into what it was always meant to be I feel. I've gotten a mod that lets you ride to a destination on the map in real time, while allowing you to speed up game time as much as you want. This mod, paired with mods that add more wilderness/city encounters, as well as some mods to make the world terrain more varied, have really made this one of my favorite RPGs in recent years.

There's also nothing more compelling than actually having to repel down chasms, or climb up pits in the dungeons. I haven't even done any part of the main quest, I've just been thoroughly exploring different parts of the world. Is the procedural generation kind of samey? Yeah definitely. There's just not enough variation to carry a game that's this long. Even so, it's still a remarkable achievement. The sheer scope and ambition of the game still blows most modern titles out of the water.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I haven't even done any part of the main quest, I've just been thoroughly exploring different parts of the world.
You should do the main quest when you can. The story is good and the final dungeon is really cool. Just remember that main story dungeons are even more cryptic and bullshit than the randomly generated ones and you'll probably have to consult a walkthrough by the end.

BruceVC

Magister

• 3d enemies
  • advanced teleportation
  • animated people
  • aquatic spirits
  • archeologist guild
  • banditry and merchants
  • basic magic regen
  • basic roads
  • birds of daggerfall
  • climates and calories
  • climates travel map
  • convenient clock
  • DREAM
  • DF enemy expansion
  • DFU Quest pack
  • DFU Quests Reranked
  • Distant Terrains
  • Diverse Weapons
  • Dungeon Loot
  • Dynamic Skies
  • Faithful 3d animals
  • Field Alchemical kit
  • Finding my religion
  • Handpainted Models
  • Harvetable Crops
  • HD enhanced
  • Hidden map locations
  • JF Questpack
  • Enchanted Compass
  • Levelling inspiration
  • Limited Gold Shops
  • Lively Cities
  • Locked Loot Containers
  • Lootmenu main
  • Lousy Lycons
  • Love and Lust
  • Mighty Magic
  • Nines Cathy
  • NPC health indicators
  • Power Struggle
  • Prostitutes and Lovers
  • Random little quests
  • Real Grass
  • Roleplay Realism
  • SIGIL
  • Simple 3d trees
  • Skill Books
  • Skulduggery
  • Stealthy Thief Quests
  • Taverns Redone
  • Temples cure poison
  • The Penwick Papers
  • Travelling alchemists
  • Traveloptions
  • UncannyUI
  • VampiricOptions
  • Warm Ashes
  • Weather Items
  • Wilderness NPCS
  • Wilderness Overhaul
  • World of Daggerfall

Awesome. Wish I had the stamina to finish the game, I personally really love the intricate storyline in this game (as far as I've seen) with all the political intrigue woven in.

The road travel mod and the survival mods (I forget the names) are what transformed the game into something completely new for me. I also used a random location start mod and began up in the far northeast mountain province. Suddenly, I felt like I was playing a klondike trapper simulation, especially when I stopped fast traveling completely. Epic experience.

Yes DFU must be the quintessential sandbox game and its so sandbox it can be overwhelming. But I have spent the first 6 hours really learning the mechanics and how the various mods work and Im making progress.

The survival mod you referring to is probably Climates and Calories and the travel mods are Better Roads and Travel Options I think

I just learnt some harsh lessons with the survival mod, I kept dying of cold and fatigue on the way back to Daggerfall to return a ring quest because I didnt have a cloak and its winter :-D I bought that now and then I joined the Mages Guild to get the Recall spell which is recommended for quick dungeon escape and exit. I havent explored any dungeons yet except for escaping from Privateers Hold and I am planning to join the Archeologist Guild

But its a massive game and there is so much to consider and do, its real RP and real Sandbox. Unlike anything I have played before :cool:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
EkXc0Hf.png
Ikept offering those condom "marks" things to the harlots but it did nothing in base game.

maruag-wrappings-item.jpg

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
Glad to see people giving the main quest some love btw, I think it's the most interestingly-written one in any Elder Scrolls game. I always loved how literally everyone you meet is out to get you in some way. Probably the most reasonable people in the game are Mynisera, Gortwog, and Akorithi, and they're still all bastards. I love all the minor players with big ambitions too, people like Elysana and Helseth.

I hope someone mods some of the cut assets back into the main quest. Stuff like the plague situation in Anticlere, with the incapacitated lord and his Bosmer wife who secretly works to empower the Thieves' Guild. Plus the conflict between Baron Shrike and Lord Kain, stuff like that. Probably my ideal verison of Daggerfall would be one in which every province in the game has some kind of big power struggle theme like that, where the player can pick a side.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
as much as I love Daggerfall, I have to admit I played far far more Arena completing it at least 5 times. And now it has been sooo long since I played it I feel I should play it again.

After summer.....

BruceVC

Magister
I'm still adding mods if required or relevant to a more streamlined game and I just added this " MUST HAVE " mod

Its called Hotkey Bar and its adds hotkeys for items and spells. For me this is particularly useful for combat and quick swapping of spells, bows and weapons. The vanilla way of doing this is slow and laborious and this fixes that and its DREAM compliant

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/202

ReturnToTradition

Barely Literate
I haven't even done any part of the main quest, I've just been thoroughly exploring different parts of the world.
You should do the main quest when you can. The story is good and the final dungeon is really cool. Just remember that main story dungeons are even more cryptic and bullshit than the randomly generated ones and you'll probably have to consult a walkthrough by the end.
I've heard good things! I'm mainly just trying to grind rep with one of the temples to Kynareth at the moment. The Mages Guild hates me for some reason (probably something I chose during a quest earlier) and so this temple appears to be my best shot at getting access to spells. As for the dungeons, they're actually my favorite part of the game. I have been using the options for smaller dungeons though, so I imagine that plays a big role. It also helps that the map system is as good as it is.

BruceVC

Magister
Im about 20 hours into DFU ( there doesnt seem to be a way to track RL game time ) and Im still loving it

I have taken a certain approach to the game which includes
  • join as many factions as possible and do all the quests I can until I get bored then I will focus more on the main quest. ( but I did initiate the Lady Brisienna main quest )
  • I have explored and completed 2 dungeons so far and both were for faction quests, Im getting better at understanding dungeon design and I am using the map effectively to find secret doors and other things

Im a Dark Elf Battlemage which is a nice mix of magic and combat and I have just reached level 3. I really enjoy creating spells, DFU extends magic services at guilds and makes it worthwhile

I also appreciate the constant lack of gold I have, I still havent bought a horse or cart as I decided to invest early on in spells and weapons for effective dungeon exploration. My spells list includes

• cure poison, diseases and paralyzation
  • light
  • open door
  • levitation
  • recall
  • various combat spells
But I will be buying a horse and cart as my next major shopping list items :cool:

ReturnToTradition

Barely Literate
I have to say, travel options combined with basic roads has completely transformed this game for me. Daggerfall is great but the base game gives you no reason to see this massive world Bethesda has created. There's so many locations that you just won't see at all if you're playing the base game and fast traveling everywhere. Since using these mods, I've come across random farms with a single house, hermits living in the woods, and religious prophets hiding away in huts. It's easily become my favorite way to play Daggerfall, as it ends up capturing that feeling of wanderlust that the later games really excel at.

index.php

Arcane

Daggerfall Unity 0.15.3 Beta

Getting Started​

If this is your first time installing Daggerfall Unity, please visit Installing Daggerfall Unity and Other Information for help getting started.

Summary​

This release is an improvement update for Daggerfall Unity with localization enhancements and bug fixes. Version 0.15.3 is intended to be a stable beta for general play. If you experience new issues with this version, please report to Help & Support on the Workshop Forums.
For a summary other changes in 0.15 prior to now, see patch notes for pre-releases 0.15.1 and 0.15.2.

Mouse Smoothing Update​

An improved method of mouse smoothing was added in 0.15.1 (see that release for more details). If you previously had mouse look smoothing enabled, your mouse look sensitivity will now feel lower than before. Increase sensitivity in settings until this is back to a comfortable level. If you previously had mouse smoothing disabled, you can disable the new method by setting Mouse Smoothing to None or try one of the lower power settings.

Mod Compatibility​

If you find a mod not compatible or broken by this release, please notify mod author on Nexus or Released Mods on forums.
If you are a mod creator and encounter any difficulties rebuilding your mod for 0.15.x, please reach out on the forums or Discord for help.

Featured Changes​

Interkarma - Read localized quest sources c1e0869

The localization system will now seek for translated quest sources in StreamingAssets/Text/Quests. The translated quest file should have the same name as parent quest with -LOC appended. For example: M0B00Y16-LOC.txt.
The translated quest file must retain the header and QRC: section of source quest, but anything after QBN: is ignored and can be removed from translated quest file. Here's an example using pseudo-localized text.

With this change, translated quest text can be maintained using a simple text editor. As the QBN: section is not used in -LOC quests, none of the programming or logic of quests will be impacted. Internally, DFU builds a database of text strings from translated quests and will preferentially use those strings at runtime.
This change also makes it possible for translators to also provide localized versions of external quests, such as those from a quest pack mod.
The article Translating Daggerfall Unity will be updated soon to reflect this change.

General Fixes & Improvements​

Pango
  • Rewrite of CSV regex parsing to avoid exponential behavior #2513
  • Fix TextManager.GetLocalizedTextList returning spurious ^M characters #2514
  • Use hamburger button instead of chevron for options #2518
  • Add an option to hide PersistentDataPath in launcher #2521
  • Allow clicking on save thumbnail to open save directory on Linux #2522
  • Localize "USE"d maps #2523
  • Prevent creation of 0 gold Letters of Credit 21ea64e
  • Fix biography spurious questionmarks on empty lines #2525
KABoissonneault
  • Allow custom sound indices in SoundReader.GetAudioClip. #2515
  • Remove ! prefix from spell bundles in Active Spells HUD tooltips #2516
Jay_H
  • Spawn fix for Former Student part 2 #2527
Sappho20 + hornc
  • Commit spelling errors fixes from issue #2503 #2526
Interkarma
  • Fix typo in training text 4023 variant 41a6188
  • Building name generation to overridable formula 5e5fc9b
  • Improve handling of bad book ID 10000 71c181a
  • Support conditions defined in localized books 279951b d934561
  • Refine book reader page panel size 8b1eb83
  • Use localized names in map_revealbuildings command 6dde1c4
  • Disabled "A Mix Up" in quest lists d4f0ffc
  • Restore original Deserialize() method signature 157236b

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom