Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Dargon Age is the best RPG ever

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
BG 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DA. Still had fun with it. Wait till it is cheaper, packaged, and/or borrow it. DA is bland next to BG 2.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Silellak said:
Grunker said:
The banters is the biggest reason of all this game fails to carry the spiritual successor-emblem. The only banters, of which there are very few, comes as hovering text that will break if you enter a new area while the banters goes on. For the general quality of the companions, it is on par with Baldur's Gate 2.

I have to disagree here. I have seen a lot of banter - more than half a dozen (in fact probably closer to a dozen) exchanges per character "paring". This even includes Shale, the DLC companion, who has specific interjections during dialog with NPCs and comments on what's happened so far in the game (ie, with romances and such) - just like every other companion. Shale and Shen's exchanges, in particular, have been priceless. I certainly haven't felt like certain party combinations are more "intended" than others, though depending on the area, some characters will obviously be more likely to comment than others. For instance, take the Elf with you and he'll get pissy if you badmouth or mistreat NPC Elves.

I also like that certain companions comment when you enter certain areas or go near certain buildings. Shen commented on a Chantry once, and I was even able to ask him about it later in dialog. I don't remember anything like that in BG2.

Oh, this game has many cool things not in BG2! My comments were about whether it was a spiritual successor, which I don't think it is :)

But yeah, all comments from NPCs should pause the game. It is crap annoying that miss so much.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
DA > BG2

It is kinda like a spiritual successor to all of BIO games. What people seem to forget is that spiritual successor does NOt mean exactly the same.

You know, I haven't played Dragon Age yet, and in fact have fully intended to never buy it. But I'll take the quote above at face value, and ask some questions.

Here are things I like about BG 2. Does Dragon Age have an equivalent feature?

"1. In Baldur's Gate 2, I played the game three times before I ever went to Trademeet. That was an entirely optional part of the game that was huge -- joinable NPCs, lengthy plot lines, a stronghold, a couple of interesting villains (frankly the skinner was more interesting to me than the corrupted druids, but both were quality IMHO). Does Dragon Age have vast optional areas that I won't discover until my fourth play through?"

It does have optional areas but not as many as BG2.

"2. In BG 2, I enjoyed an isometric view that allowed me to treat the game more like chess than something visceral in 3D. Does Dragon Age allow me to pull back and play the whole thing from an eagle's eye viewpoint?"

On PC, yes, on console no.

"3. In BG 2, there were probably 15 pause triggers. I could pause when a character's health dropped below 30% of the normal total. I could pause on enemy sighted, weapon lost, spell cast, etc. What pause options does Dragon Age provide? And can you queue up commands while paused?"

No pause triggers; but combat tatics is basically a superior version of them though pause triggers could ahve been aded to and not hurt. Just remember, that DA technically doesn't have round based play.

"4. I really enjoyed the joinable NPCs in BG 2. They were varied, and the potential for conflict was interesting. Keldorn & Viconia? Bad combo. But putting Edwin, Korgan, Viconia, Haer'Dalis, and Jan or Yoshi together and having a very wicked adventure? Quite fun. How many NPCs are available in DA? Are they all goody-two-shoes? Do they have storylines or backgrounds or quests associated with them? Can you influence them, similar to the way I convinced Vicky to turn neutral?"

There is a good split between good/neutral/evil characters though the game is nwoehre as balck and white as BG2 is. And, while the game has an apporval system, you can influence a few of the characters to change their mind on things. There is about 9 npcs with one secret one. (well, not sectre now thanks to spoilers)

"5. I loved the way you could end up with 20 quests after 30 minutes of exploration. You needed a good quest log to remind you what was unfinished. As I often get tired of a particular quest and desire to jump to another for a while, does DA have a similar swell of quests, piled up? And are they well organized in a journal of some kind? Or is it one monolithic quest line that doesn't branch or offer any distractions?"

There's a ton of quests. I dunno abotu exact numbers but I think people are undersestimating how many quests there are in DA. If one was to do a count, I'd say that the number of quests of both games are about the same. I still have quite a few side quests I haven't finished. The Codex/Journal is awesome. It complete, and utterlyc rushes BG2's. You can end up with tens of quests from one area.

"6. In BG 2, I rarely reloaded. I tried to play cautiously, and if my team was decimated by an encounter, I diligently purchased resurrections, suffered the financial loss, and tried to find ways to recover and proceed. Are the Dragon Age battles suitably challenging? Is there a consequence for poor tactics, or does the game sorta kiss the player's butt? Would playing Iron Man style be pointless and easy?"

Unless you are beyond awesome, you will reload lots. Iyt will punish poor tatics. If you play smart, and learn the system, and manage to get a few levels it gets easier to keep your party alive but still, if you make a fuck up, you will pay. Anyone who can beat DA in iron man mode needs to be made a god.

"7. In BG 1, if I kept Monty in my party, I could bypass a later fight with the Red Wizards of Thay. In BG 2, if I romanced Jahiera, I would end up speaking to Khalid's ghost. Also, I could choose to side with the vampires and have a completely different progress though Chapter 2. In DA, are there tangible changes in outcome, based upon your choices? Would someone give me a simple example that doesn't spoil the whole plot of the game (spoiling the plot of one small quest would be fine)?"

DA companions have lots of dialogue. Likely more than most BG2 companions if not all of them. They have somedarn good quests. The npcs talk along amongst each other and with you. And, they interject in quite a few convos. NPCs will also under certain circumstances leave your party, and even attack. At least one will even challenge you for control of party if he feels you are failing as leader!!!

Bottom line is thsi: DA > BG2

YOUR WELCOME.

p.s. "But yeah, all comments from NPCs should pause the game. It is crap annoying that miss so much."

You'll only miss them if you simply aren't paying attention to this game. When I hear/see them start chatting, I stop.

Silellak

Cipher
Volourn said:
p.s. "But yeah, all comments from NPCs should pause the game. It is crap annoying that miss so much."

You'll only miss them if you simply aren't paying attention to this game. When I hear/see them start chatting, I stop.

It's not really so simple. Some of the triggers are way too close to an area transition, so if you click on the area transition and are watching your party run to it, they might start to banter only a second or two before the area change occurs.

The same thing can happen with other NPCs in the area - such as the "gossipers" that show up and discuss certain plot elements - interrupt the banter. The banter ceases altogether.

I imagine it's less of a problem on the console versions, since you're forced into the OTS perspective and have to use manual control to run around - unlike the PC version where you can click on a location while in isometric perspective and the party will move there automatically ala the Infinity Engine games.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Nope. You have to be an ignorant fool to completely miss the dialogue.

Tails

Arbiter
GOGO Gameerzines should play other RPGs then done by Bioware I guess.

Marsal

Arcane
Silellak said:
It's not really so simple. Some of the triggers are way too close to an area transition, so if you click on the area transition and are watching your party run to it, they might start to banter only a second or two before the area change occurs.

The same thing can happen with other NPCs in the area - such as the "gossipers" that show up and discuss certain plot elements - interrupt the banter. The banter ceases altogether.

I imagine it's less of a problem on the console versions, since you're forced into the OTS perspective and have to use manual control to run around - unlike the PC version where you can click on a location while in isometric perspective and the party will move there automatically ala the Infinity Engine games.
This is quite true. I always have a hand on the keyboard, so I managed to stop the transition by pressing the space key, but it does happen if you play "casually", using mouse only.

Another "problem" is that I used my character, a rogue, to scout ahead and almost always left the party behind, even in "shopping areas" and it's hard to hear the banter without switching to the party member standing next to the two involved in a conversation.

This is not a big deal, but it does happen.

Also, Volourn, don't be an idiot and use the quote tags. That way your posts will only be a heap of gibberish after reading them.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Volourn said:
Isn't it a little early to say DA is better than BG2. It has alot of things going for it but I can still load up BG2 10 years after release and have a great time. I would think you need to wait a bit to decrare DA the winner.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
oldmanpaco said:
Volourn said:
Isn't it a little early to say DA is better than BG2. It has alot of things going for it but I can still load up BG2 10 years after release and have a great time. I would think you need to wait a bit to decrare DA the winner.

Volourn will probably load up Mass Effect 10 years from now and call it a winner. Don't fight it ;)

Silellak said:
Grunker said:
The banters is the biggest reason of all this game fails to carry the spiritual successor-emblem. The only banters, of which there are very few, comes as hovering text that will break if you enter a new area while the banters goes on. For the general quality of the companions, it is on par with Baldur's Gate 2.

I have to disagree here. I have seen a lot of banter - more than half a dozen (in fact probably closer to a dozen) exchanges per character "paring". This even includes Shale, the DLC companion, who has specific interjections during dialog with NPCs and comments on what's happened so far in the game (ie, with romances and such) - just like every other companion. Shale and Shen's exchanges, in particular, have been priceless. I certainly haven't felt like certain party combinations are more "intended" than others, though depending on the area, some characters will obviously be more likely to comment than others. For instance, take the Elf with you and he'll get pissy if you badmouth or mistreat NPC Elves.

I also like that certain companions comment when you enter certain areas or go near certain buildings. Shen commented on a Chantry once, and I was even able to ask him about it later in dialog. I don't remember anything like that in BG2.

I agree that the hovering-text implementation is annoying, though, for all the reasons you've stated.

My one problem with all of that is the case of NPC selective amnesia.

Leliana *asked* Morrigan if it was true that her mother was the actual Flemeth, way back in Lothering. Then they had a discussion about stories their mothers told them when they were children...complete with Flemeth 'using' Chasind Men, then tossing them out after getting what she wanted from them. Leliana was so horrified she STFU.

Yet twenty minutes later, when I mention the whole 'I actually *met* Flemeth; thing to Leliana (she wanted to tell me a story about her), Leliana acted all skeptical when I mentioned Morrigan's mother was named that.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Beter example, Genma: I dumped Morrigan the moment I hit Lothering. Couldn't stand her writing and voice acting. Yet she's still mentioned, not just by Alistair, who met her, but by NPCs who never met her, like Wynne.

Obviously such things can be hard to avoid, but boy that was lulzy.

Lulziest moment is still when Lelliana starts breaking into Aragorn-song. That was stupid enough in LotR, in this game it just had me rolling on the floor for two solid minutes.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Brother None said:
Beter example, Genma: I dumped Morrigan the moment I hit Lothering. Couldn't stand her writing and voice acting. Yet she's still mentioned, not just by Alistair, who met her, but by NPCs who never met her, like Wynne.

Lulziest moment is still when Lelliana starts breaking into Aragorn-song. That was stupid enough in LotR, in this game it just had me rolling on the floor for two solid minutes.

Yeah, that was pretty fucking lulzy. It was a cool thought... But damn, was it awkward.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Isn't it a little early to say DA is better than BG2. It has alot of things going for it but I can still load up BG2 10 years after release and have a great time. I would think you need to wait a bit to decrare DA the winner."

No. Hell no. Fuck NO.

BG2 was fun when I was nothing but a mere kid (ok, I was in my early 20s); but now when I play role-playing agmes I want actual C&C and challenging combat. Not pussy stuff with retarded rangers and crybaby elves.

Leave the old shit die, and bring on the new shit!

"Beter example, Genma: I dumped Morrigan the moment I hit Lothering. Couldn't stand her writing and voice acting. Yet she's still mentioned, not just by Alistair, who met her, but by NPCs who never met her, like Wynne.

Obviously such things can be hard to avoid, but boy that was lulzy. "

No doubt. It can be silly in these situations.

Never got the Leriana song since I was romancing Morrigan. Song sounds hilariously bad!

"Another "problem" is that I used my character, a rogue, to scout ahead and almost always left the party behind, even in "shopping areas" and it's hard to hear the banter without switching to the party member standing next to the two involved in a conversation.

This is not a big deal, but it does happen."

That's your problem. C&C, motherfucker, C&C.

"Also, Volourn, don't be an idiot and use the quote tags."

I use quotes as I was taught ins chool, not on the fuckin' internet. I'm hardcore that way. btw, Calling someone names makes it less likely for them to do what you ask.

DA > BG2

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
Also controlling one of the two having the convo. Only hearing one side and quickly at that was good for a laugh.

Marsal said:
Another "problem" is that I used my character, a rogue, to scout ahead and almost always left the party behind, even in "shopping areas" and it's hard to hear the banter without switching to the party member standing next to the two involved in a conversation.

This is not a big deal, but it does happen

Well, being teleported back/ having them teleport to you would be retarded

I guess the conversations could activate only if you're within a certain distance, but it doesn't seem like something they'd remember during development

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
Barrow_Bug said:
I AM VERY BUTTHURT ABOUT WALLS OF TEXTS AND CONSTANT QUOTING.

What does 'butthurt' mean? Does that mean you had sex in the butt with walls of text and constant quoting?

Don't understand this kiddie internet trend.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Brother None said:

Here's another that's pure bad coding: at one point I fooled around with the romances and, upon breaking it off with Zevran and "choosing" Leliana, Zevran goes on his puppy-eyed "I guess you've found someone more compatible with you" spiel. Approval rating drops. Then... after exiting this conversation, he's back to flirting with my PC again and saying the same lines that initiated his romance to begin with.

The Aragorn-song was so bad. So very, very bad.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Lesifoere said:
Here's another that's pure bad coding: at one point I fooled around with the romances and, upon breaking it off with Zevran and "choosing" Leliana, Zevran goes on his puppy-eyed "I guess you've found someone more compatible with you" spiel. Approval rating drops. Then... after exiting this conversation, he's back to flirting with my PC again and saying the same lines that initiated his romance to begin with.

That's nothing. I sexed up Allistair after already having been with Leliana, so of course she goes all sad "you made your choice" after that. Click her again literally one second after, and she's wiggling her eyebrows going
"so, you and Alistair, eh"
"Wut?"
"You're positively glowing. So tell me, how was he?"

I wish I recovered that well from getting dumped.

Lesifoere said:
The Aragorn-song was so bad. So very, very bad.

Yes. So bad I'm actually kind of wondering if it was intended as a joke.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Brother None said:
That's nothing. I sexed up Allistair after already having been with Leliana, so of course she goes all sad "you made your choice" after that. Click her again literally one second after, and she's wiggling her eyebrows going
"so, you and Alistair, eh"
"Wut?"
"You're positively glowing. So tell me, how was he?"

I wish I recovered that well from getting dumped.

Maybe Bioware took the "your NPCs are fucking whiny emo douchebags" complaints to heart and now they're all emotional juggernauts, impervious to all heartbreak, tragedy, and... nahhh, Alistair still tears up every time someone breathes Duncan's name and he sounded like he was going to cry when my PC told him Loghain could go through the Joining and Anora can have the throne. I almost felt bad about that, because at the best of times Alistair sounds like he's intellectually challenged. It was like kicking a weepy, autistic child.

Yes. So bad I'm actually kind of wondering if it was intended as a joke.

Even the dog looks up and gets mushy over the song. Oh lord. I think one or two NPCs turned away as if to hide single, crystalline tears of sorrow.

Shannow

Waster of Time

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom