Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Dark Messiah: WHy did you like it?

dragonfk

Erudite
Dark Messiah: Why did you like it?

Guys at gamespot apparantly didnt http://uk.xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/dark-messiah-of-might-magic-elements-/852415p1.html.

Hah I've just noticed gamespot guys have sense of humor!
It should be a simple formula -- a linear Oblivion with multiplayer -- but Elements crashes and burns in an almost spectacular fashion in every respect.

Since when Oblivion is known for great combat mechanics?

Suchy

Arcane
nik2008ofs said:
Suchy said:
And I loathe mixing s-f with fantasy.

Jasede, how could you suggest that M&M are enjoyable? Suchy loathes such mixings, the developers should be publicly executed, how dare they try something that Suchy loathes? I mean, it's loathsome, Suchy says so!
Very Yes ! :D

Seriously I don't like mixing s-f with fantasy coz it spoils the atmosphere for me. Some like it, some don't, matter of taste.

EDIT:
FP/RT combat can be fun, I'm playing Mount&Blade in first person and I love the combat. It just lacks slashing off heads and arms :)

doctor_kaz

Scholar
thesheeep said:
doctor_kaz said:
First person melee combat just doesn't work.

Wrong.
There are numberless games that have FP melee combat and do it just right.
Many of them are actually Source mods.

Sure, 3rd person gives you a better overview, but melee combat is more than possible in FP.

I have never played one of these games then. Every implementation that I have ever seen of first person melee combat sucks ass. The only use I have ever seen it have is as a quick strike in FPS like Halo and Call of Duty.

JrK

Prophet
dragonfk said:
It should be a simple formula -- a linear Oblivion with multiplayer -- but Elements crashes and burns in an almost spectacular fashion in every respect.

Since when Oblivion is known for great combat mechanics?

Interesting they mention this. When the topic title showed up, I thought: "DMoMM had the combat system that Oblivion should have had." As it stands, OB is totally boring and DMoMM had good combat so was fun while it lasted.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DoMM was much too short, but it was a fun melee combat game if you just want some mindless hacking and slashing, and the story was okay for an action game, it even had minor choice and consequence that leads to two different endings [actually 4 different ones if you take the choice after the end battle into account, too].

The gameplay made me crave for more of it, but I preferred the areas where you fought humans and orks to the ones where you had to fight zombies and especially the one where you had to fight spiders. Orcs were just so much more fun to kill.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
doctor_kaz said:
thesheeep said:
doctor_kaz said:
First person melee combat just doesn't work.

Wrong.

Sure, 3rd person gives you a better overview, but melee combat is more than possible in FP.

I have never played one of these games then. Every implementation that I have ever seen of first person melee combat sucks ass. The only use I have ever seen it have is as a quick strike in FPS like Halo and Call of Duty.
There was this game called Condemned: [some sub title]. It was made by Monolith i think, and it was console port. And surprisingly good one, because all the elements were really nifty done, especially this improvised melee combat, where you would use wooden planks, pipes, tools and any other object found in surrounding enirovement to fight back from some maniacal junkies or smth. Didn't finish the thinge, though, as i'm not fan of survival horror games (makes me too anxious :( ).

Otingocni

Novice
Dark Messiah is just boring after the first level or two, the unending combat leads to tedium quickly. It is one of those games I put down midway through and have never thought about playing through to completion. Hell, I felt sort of ripped off, and I paid a measly $10.

If you want a melee combat game, Mount & Blade is indescribably better.

As for First Person melee combat, Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay did it very well, not to mention it has some great animation. Jumping on a guard unarmed and forcing him to blow off his own head with his gun, or sneaking up behind someone and stabbing him through the throat with a screwdriver, was very satisfying.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Ah yes, Riddick was great in that department. How did i forget it.
It was great action game over all. And this comes from person, who doesn't enjoy action games that mutch. Also a great console port. Is this coincidence?

Raapys

Arcane
Dark Messiah wasn't bad at all, for an action game. One of the better combat implementations I've seen, and great physics; I especially liked how they managed to get Orcs to feel alot heavier than Humans.

I was playing at the most difficult setting, and it was actually extremely difficult in the beginning, ended up reloading like crazy. But then I got this laughably overpowered lightning shield that disabled whoever struck it for a few seconds, leaving them open for the kill.

Wouldn't mind a sequel. But as others have mentioned, it's rather short( but then again, most action games are these days )

Andhaira

Arcane
I hear it had good sales and great reviews. Perhaps that spells good for a future might and magc?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
It received good reviews mostly in Europe, most US reviewers gave it very low scores.

In the end it's one of those "love it or hate it" games.

I only played the single player portion of the game, did anyone try the multiplayer? There again I read mixed reviews but this time around I did not try it as you need to have Steam running and I dislike Steam.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Dark Messiah was actually pretty decent action game and I don't understand why some people dislike it so much. If only it had better character progression and nonlinear storyline with choice & consequence (tm) It could've been a nice action RPG.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Indeed, seeing where Arkane came from with Arx Fatalis, I was hoping a bit more. It's as if they were doing another game in that vein but in the middle they decided to do a high fantasy version of Half-Life 2, featuring a spellcaster version of Alyx (I did not like the original and I did not like the DM version at all) with a talking medieval Gordon Freeman (in fantasy setting, the Gordon Freeman can actually speak).

Andhaira

Arcane
Wait, IGN gave the game a really good score. I thought gamespot did as well (its got what gamespot likes, great grafix and a great physiks engine)

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Gamespot gave it 6.7, not what I call a very high score. You can check other scores on Metacritics if you want.

1UP rated it the lowest it seems with only 40/100.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, the biggest letdown of the game definately was its MP.
Short Story:
The MP was developed by another company. It was never supported with heavily needed patches (it lagged like hell and the balance... well.. there was none). And some time ago, AFAIK, the publisher or dev stated that there will never be a support for this game (at least not for MP).

Claw said:
thesheeep said:
Wrong.
This post is worthless without links! :evil:

Sorry, didn't read your post first. This always happens if it is the last post on a page.
Maybe the last post of page x should be copied to be the first post of page x+1,too , IF there is another post after it (which would then become 2nd on page x+1).

Anyway... here is one. It is not only melee (some classes have ranged weapons, too), but melee is what makes this fun:

Pirates, Vikings and Knights II

Andhaira

Arcane
I don't think any video game liscense has been as maligned as might and magic.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Actually I wonder a bit where the Might and Magic part is in Dark Messiah. I did not play the serie much but DM feels like generic high fantasy with no reference to the license.

They could have just called it Dark Messiah and be done with it.

Red Russian

Scholar
I like DM for the same reasons I like FEAR. It's 'cause I went out with the attitude of not expecting a Fallout 1 in FPS mode, but rather say FEAR in with a few RPG elements and a fantasy setting.

Also, DM's combat has a lot of impact but feels to clicky whereas Mount&Blade's combat is not so clicky, but lacks impact.

Gragt said:
Actually I wonder a bit where the Might and Magic part is in Dark Messiah. I did not play the serie much but DM feels like generic high fantasy with no reference to the license.

They could have just called it Dark Messiah and be done with it.
But the M&M series is utterly generic high fantasy. For what it's worth the storyline in Heroes of M&M V (an its expansions) takes place before the events in Dark Messiah and explains DM's (needlessly convoluted) back-story.

I just wish they had made a Might & Magic RPG instead :(

barker_s said:
Dark Messiah was actually pretty decent action game and I don't understand why some people dislike it so much. If only it had better character progression and nonlinear storyline with choice & consequence (tm) It could've been a nice action RPG.
When did nonlinear storyline and choice and consequence become a prerequisite for an Action-RPG?

nik2008ofs

Scholar
Well, the original Diablo was such an excellent example of non linear storyline and c&c that any action Rpgs after it must have them.

Andhaira

Arcane
Hmm, the original diablo was not truly nonlinear.

Thing is the game was so small in focus (only one small, shitty town) they were able to slightly flesh out some npc's (since there were so few of them).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom