Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

abija

Prophet
When you end up blaming the players as an escuse it just means the system is shit.

nomask7

Arcane
When you end up blaming the players as an escuse it just means the system is shit.

Right. Devs should just dumb everything down so every fucker with IQ of 85 could have AWESOME and INTENSE experiences.

Sorry, this is RPGCodex, where your favorites suck and you suck and most of all popamole sucks.

Also, it's pretty retarded to demand perfection from complex systems like video games. A video game can have an exploit, sometimes more than one. That doesn't make it shit. You sound like some cunt who would use cheat codes if they came with the manual and then complain about the game being cheesy.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Anyway, generally speaking action cancelling, as far as I know, is considered a rather :obviously: feature in the action game genre. In fact isn't it one of DMC3's claims to fame?

Dark Souls doesn't have action cancelling. Gothic 2 doesn't have action cancelling. See the pattern? These are monocled combat systems with a relatively slow tempo where you can and need to think about what you're doing and how the monster AI behaves.

Action cancelling means you can dodge whenever you want. If you haven't noticed how this results in shallow fast-paced gameplay, then it's not worth trying to explain it to you.

Gothic 2 and Dark Souls have monoclean combat systems while the likes of DMC3 or NGB are shallow? :lol: Damn it, nomask, you actually made me chuckle irl.

It's a bit embarassing that we have retards in this thread who would actually agree with this unironically, but still, well done.

sullynathan

Arcane
Butthurt people waste their rating privileges because they have wrong opinions. DarkUnderlord should have never let you on this website

If you had given reasons for why Ninja Gaiden combat is better, I mean some actual concrete detail, I would probably have taken you seriously enough to respond. Judging from your previous performance though, you're just some popamole twitch combat retard who is not worth reading let alone arguing with.
You see I would but you would just defend gothic with the worst reasons again. Why don't you just pick up ninja gaiden black or sigma, play it and go back to gothic. It should be very clear which one plays better.

nomask7

Arcane
You see I would but you would just defend gothic with the worst reasons again. Why don't you just pick up ninja gaiden black or sigma, play it and go back to gothic. It should be very clear which one plays better.

Then again I wasn't talking to you. I was responding to someone who was specifically asking for Gothic fans to explain why they liked the combat. I explained why I did, since the question seemed sincere. Those reasons don't have to be the reasons why you like combat in a game, they only have to be the reasons why I liked the combat in Gothic 2.

If you want to talk about Ninja Gaiden for some fucked up reason, at least have the decency to do so in at least rudimentary detail if you're expecting to be taken seriously.

And sorry, your Gothic 2 critique sucked dick, not because it was your opinion and you suck dick (although that is true as well), but mostly because it was factually incorrect on many accounts. If you annoy me enough I may go back to it and respond to it properly, but I don't think anyone is following this retarded conversation anymore.

Rolk's Drifter

Scholar
Peeve put a video up with some combat. Shows some weapons + armour at the start.

Nothing that excites me tbh. Watching the fight in a boss arena made me wish for some Mirror Knight/Old Monk type scenarios :(

Gothic has shit combat for simple reason that spamming fast attacks is more effective than doing combos.

Nah. Gothic has excellent combat for simple reason you can shapeshift and summon skellies. It's also better because it's effective to level up, explore the world, craft, steal some shit, do quests etc. Maybe I should join an rpg forum.

Why don't you just pick up ninja gaiden black or sigma, play it and go back to gothic. It should be very clear which one plays better.

Since I don't like those types of games, the arpg combat will play a lot better than the action game combat. Same way iso rpg combat would play better. Same way blobber combat will play better. Same way roguelike combat will play better. Combat != action.

You judge arpg combat according to action games standards. I judge action game combat according to arpg standards.

Do you think you'd still have enjoyed the Gothics if they had NG combat? Would they still be the same game if you could somersault round everywhere at high speed, running up walls and shit? Or do you think maybe such combat would utterly destroy the atmosphere, that beautiful world they built?

ARPG combat has different needs/purpose to action game combat. It's absurd imo to judge one by the other. But if we are to do so, I will favour the rpg aspects.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Rolk's Drifter , this really shouldn't be such a difficult concept to understand. Objectively, ToEE has a better combat system than BG2. This doesn't mean that it's a better game overall, nor does it mean that BG2 with ToEE's combat system would be a better game. Viewed in and out of themselves though, the mechanics in ToEE are superior.

Now, comparing Gothic combat to NGB combat is kind of pointless, as they have a very different focus and overall structure, and I'd be inclined to say the same for souls games up to DS2 as well. DS3 and Bloodborne, though, are very much simplistic action games with some RPG decorations. Putting aside really good action games, even popamole shit like God of War has deeper combat than Souls games.

Rolk's Drifter

Scholar
Rolk's Drifter , this really shouldn't be such a difficult concept to understand. Objectively, ToEE has a better combat system than BG2. This doesn't mean that it's a better game overall, nor does it mean that BG2 with ToEE's combat system would be a better game. Viewed in and out of themselves though, the mechanics in ToEE are superior.

Now, comparing Gothic combat to NGB combat is kind of pointless, as they have a very different focus and overall structure, and I'd be inclined to say the same for souls games up to DS2 as well. DS3 and Bloodborne, though, are very much simplistic action games with some RPG decorations. Putting aside really good action games, even popamole shit like God of War has deeper combat than Souls games.

This really shouldn't be such a difficult concept to understand: Combat is more than just melee. Comparing ToEE melee to BG2 melee is not comparing ToEE combat to BG2 combat. Capiche?

platforming killed my interest in the game.

Can I interest you in some Dark Messiah?

sullynathan

Arcane
Since I don't like those types of games, the arpg combat will play a lot better than the action game combat. Same way iso rpg combat would play better. Same way blobber combat will play better. Same way roguelike combat will play better. Combat != action.

You judge arpg combat according to action games standards. I judge action game combat according to arpg standards.

Do you think you'd still have enjoyed the Gothics if they had NG combat? Would they still be the same game if you could somersault round everywhere at high speed, running up walls and shit? Or do you think maybe such combat would utterly destroy the atmosphere, that beautiful world they built?

ARPG combat has different needs/purpose to action game combat. It's absurd imo to judge one by the other. But if we are to do so, I will favour the rpg aspects.
Actually I would. If Gothic and/or Gothic 2 had hack and slash combat inspired by ninja gaiden or even combat as good as Dark Souls, then it would pretty much be nearly perfect but it doesn't.

On the topic of Ninja Gaiden, of course it would have all that wall jumping and shit. Its about a super powered ninja. If Gothic's combat needed as much skill as Ninja Gaiden's, then it would be a lot better. I don't know why that part is hard to understand.

Also, what arpg standards are you talking about? If you're thinking what I'm thinking, then this pretty much excuses any flaws about Gothics combat.

Hyperion

Arcane
Ninja Gaiden Sigma was good, but rose my systolic blood pressure by 25 mmHg. Got nostalgic watching the video, but I know I would instantly regret it if I fired it up again.

Declinator

Arbiter
I've heard Sigma 2 is the best in the series but I've only played the normal Ninja Gaiden 2.
I've heard that Sigma 2 has a pitifully small amount of enemies compared to the original Ninja Gaiden 2. They just have much more hp than the mooks in the original.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've felt more like Risen's combat was two steps forward, two steps backwards.

In what way?

Well, the good thing is that the movements are more fluid and closer to action game standards. You also learn additional maneuvers as you progress, such as parries, counters, power hits, and so on..

The not so good thing it that the devs dropped the initially very clumsy moveset, which was progressively improved in Gothic 2. A lot of the feeling of progression was lost this way. As far as I remember (been a few years), the at least some of the Risen combat maneuvers felt gimmicky and not very useful. And very twitch-oriented. Also the order in which you earn them wasn't always the most logical - later ones could be less useful/potent. Overall they didn't improve the game a whole lot, at least for a non-twitch player, such as myself.

Then the variety of enemies and the tactics you need to employ while facing them suffered, I've felt. In Gothic 2 the differences when facing goblins, snappers, trolls, wolves or orcs were huge. Here's more of the standard block/parry-counter fare.

Then there's magic... which is just pure Decline in Risen.
Sure it was overpowered before. But at least here was variety, flavor and lore. In Risen there's nothing. Well there is the monastery where you train... but that's about it.

nomask7

Arcane
If Gothic's combat needed as much skill as Ninja Gaiden's, then it would be a lot better. I don't know why that part is hard to understand.

In one message you say Gothic 2 combat is easy once you're overpowered but impossible otherwise, then in another message you imply it's too easy. Hey, maybe you just have no clue what you are doing in that game. There's a thought.

sullynathan

Arcane
If Gothic's combat needed as much skill as Ninja Gaiden's, then it would be a lot better. I don't know why that part is hard to understand.

In one message you say Gothic 2 combat is easy once you're overpowered but impossible otherwise, then in another message you imply it's too easy. Hey, maybe you just have no clue what you are doing in that game. There's a thought.
I never said it was impossible, you're just making things up as you go.

baturinsky

Arcane
I fail in this fame so hard. Problem is, there is no learning curve here. No gradual growth of difficulty so I can gradually learn. There are three types of enemies with nothing in between - no effort 30soul mooks, FUCK YOU knights that fuck me up unless I get lucky or kill the from afar with fireballs, and INVINCIBLE bosses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom