Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Dawn of War 3 - DAMNATIO MEMORIAE

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Am I the only one on the Codex who liked DoW II?

I dug it! Didn't beat it though, got bored or something.:S Gotta reinstall that thing. Been thinking about it for months.

Destroid

Arcane
DoWII was, in theory a great sequel:
1. Space Marines became hat they were intended to be - few but strong. No hundreds of killed space marine in each fight like in DoW1.
2. Other sides have been shaped great, like Chaos, Orks and Tyranids
3. DoWII had THE best voice work I've seen in any game so far - each nit had different response to every strategic suituation and condition.
4. Cover and destructability mechanics was great.
Yet it was tremendously less appealing and fun than DoW1. All this great features could not get the game going.
I suppose it was due to faulty implementation of combat and, in particular, retreat mechanics. Battles were boring and repetitive. Campaign turned into a dozens of template boss fights. Great Unclean One fight was a spectacular example of how not to make a boss fight, with 15 minutes of chipping his health. Multiplayer was uninspiring dueto constant retreats and, as a result, lack of decisive battles. It was impossible to deal a crushing blow to your opponent - retreat rendered it useless.
Should they decide to stick with DoW2 worst aspects, DoW3 will be a disaster.

I have to ask how much online did you play? It felt quite bad in 1v1 but 2v2 or 3v3 felt right for this game. You weren't likely to get your army wiped as you said but that doesn't mean you can't fight a decisive battle.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
now that's bullshit lol
Occasional massive loss of units does not change the fact that majority of average MP games were a neverending running back and forth.
I have to ask how much online did you play? It felt quite bad in 1v1 but 2v2 or 3v3 felt right for this game. You weren't likely to get your army wiped as you said but that doesn't mean you can't fight a decisive battle.
I player about 50 or so games online but then couldn't bear to continue, plus then it was clear that game will never get to competitive stage.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Occasional massive loss of units does not change the fact that majority of average MP games were a neverending running back and forth.

If at any point a 'massive loss of units' happened to any side, it was usually enough to completely cripple it to the end of the game. Even losing as much as a single squad + a vehicle around midgame was sufficient to make someone forego any serious fighting and focus on popamoling unprotected points with scouts or try something mofo like stealthed rape in the backlines. But usually it just translates into desperate attempts to get a new fighting force while the enemy chillaxes on the entirely capped map.

I guess you can't deal a crushing blow in the sense that you just blow up someone's HQ and kick him out of the game, but many dow2 games would nevertheless become resolved during a single skirmish.

Not to mention the retreats are nowhere as godmode as you say. A combo of knock down + grenade + chase + optional aoe damage leading along the retreat paths (which are often retarded and put the retreating units in lots of danger) is usually enough to wipe out a shitton of dudes and make the player ragequit. And shit, you don't even need that. Send a mob of banshees/hormagaunts/boyz after the retreating dudes and watch them all die just as well.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
It's the Emperor's will that this game be made an actual sequel to Dow1, anything else is heresy.

11440.jpg

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
DoW II had about 10% of the RTS depth that DoWI had.

You had no base building and limited squads. It was a popamole RTS.

I'd be happy if they made a popamole DoWII mode in a game with traditional base building and zone control objectives like DoW and CoH. That makes everyone happy, but a DoWII only moba like whatever game, please no...

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
DOW2 was great for Gear Collected Aspect, Space Marines being at last Angels of Death not red shirts, cover system and epic story faggotery:

IG Bros before the Inquisition hoes!

Chapter Master Gabriel Angelos Frack Yeah! :russia:

Last edited:
Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter

I'd be happy if they made a popamole DoWII mode in a game with traditional base building and zone control objectives like DoW and CoH. That makes everyone happy, but a DoWII only moba like whatever game, please no...

An RTS that focus on fun rather than being constantly on the optimization edge micro korean twitch esport, is not necessarily a bad thing.

AMG

Arbiter
DoW 2 would have been cool if it was like this:

Instead we got:
:popamole:

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
You're probably right I didn't play either. Is it like SC vs AoE ?

What in the blazing nine hells?

You didn't play either, why do criticize?!

FYI, DoW1 is casual friendly enough for someone with minimal understanding of RTS games to be able to play competitive ladder. Obsessive "pros" never even touched it (except for ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ).

Hell, even Starcraft2 is casual friendly enough if you don't want to go above silver.

Don't ruin the fun for people who like niche games. There's enough popamole shit around already. Go play Total War Arena (it's not a bad game, but its as casual as they come).

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Don't ruin the fun for people who like niche games. There's enough popamole shit around already. Go play Total War Arena (it's not a bad game, but its as casual as they come).

Very few RTS released today are worth a damn. That niche of competitive complexity is dominating the market. You had a maximum amount of experimental RTS being released in the late 90s, early 2000s but then nothing. The few that stand out and get released are indies who get no recognition like Timber and Stone, or who turn out to be fucktarded like castle story.
Doesn't help that retards call anything that isn't a spergfest of APM a city builder.

you're talking about vanilla dow, maybe even beta dow. because patch after patch, expansion after expansion, the building order has been streamlined, the tech tree has been shrunk and the tactical options have been neutered.
with gear and exclusive upgrades dow2 actually added back some complexity.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
With no base building and low army cap, the game plays like an action rpg arena game.

It deviates too much from standard RTS and stops scratching the RTS itch. That's the problem.

And, for me, RTS>Arena. So, DoW1>Dow2.

C'mon... No base building?? Fuck that...

I'm not talking about artificial APM fillers. I don't care that they streamline BO's. I care that they keep base building and big army caps intact. It's what makes a RTS game fun.

grudgebringer

They really should go for a fully fledged WH40k tactical wargame instead of WC3-like RTS or DoW2 style which is kinda mix of 2-3 genres in one. I'd love to see them recreate table-top tactical level, where you have limited squads and supplies, and add to that real-time pace that was represented in Dark Omen.

With no base building and low army cap, the game plays like an action rpg arena game.

It deviates too much from standard RTS and stops scratching the RTS itch. That's the problem.
oh my, the witcher 3 deviates too much from the standard space invaders! it must suck.

They really should go for a fully fledged WH40k tactical wargame instead of WC3-like RTS or DoW2 style which is kinda mix of 2-3 genres in one. I'd love to see them recreate table-top tactical level, where you have limited squads and supplies, and add to that real-time pace that was represented in Dark Omen.
if they don't do it by themselves, i'd wait for the inevitable total war warhammer mod.
it MUST be done.

oh my, the witcher 3 deviates too much from the standard space invaders! it must suck.

And that's the number one problem with the RTS genre, it's to conservative in design philosophy for it's own good. The whole genre is basically a mod of Dune with base building and resource gathering having become de-facto gameplay mechanics.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
Yes, The Witcher 3 sucks monkey balls, along with 1 and 2.

Fucking cutscene and pr0n simulators with console combat. :killit:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom