Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dead Space 2 is pretty awesom

Heresiarch

Prophet
Call it stupid shit popamole shit (which isn't) horror-wannabe shit nextgen shit or whatever, but the game is so good that after finishing it once I started a new game+ right away.

Unlike 1, DS2 doesn't pretend to be some horror game or even System Shock/Bioshock wannabe anymore. Instead it's a wholly run-and-gun 3rd person shooter with tons of necromorphs throwing in your face, action after action, awesome new weapons, with some OKish horror scenes, and some over-the-top action scenes mixed in.

Some things I REALLY like in DS2:

- Isaac is cool with him finally can say things and shows his face around a lot more. I really like his smirking when he wear a new RIG.
- I really like how swearing is handled in this game. Isaac for example would only swear in frustrating moments and feels so natural.
- The Stomp of Death got massively upgraded. No more stupid slow sluggish stomp, but uses RAGE INFUSED STOMP STOMP STOMP. And when you stomp you'll even hear Isaac swear. Pretty awesome.

The game also have some awesomest scenes in the game
- Isaac jumping from a fucking space station back into the fucking space platform
- Isaac climbed on the gunship, a huge necromorph slammed on the gunship, gripped Isaac by his leg, Isaac shoot some canister to make a massive explosion to blast him from the fucking space right back into a apartment
- Best quote in game history evar:"Fuck you...and fuck your marker!" Dunno why, but how he says it, and in that circumstance, is just so awesome
- At the end, Isaac sat there alone, willing to give up the struggle, sad violin music begins, credits begin to roll...then Ellie, who's a fucking hot gal, fucking slam her gunship down to pick up Isaac, whom fucking use his RIG's jets to fly up to catch the ascending gunship

There's just too many awesomeness to mention.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Shitty camera, shitty controls, shitty plot (there's another marker, go and destroy it. again.), cliched horror, quicktime events, need I say more?

:x

Heresiarch

Prophet
So what? The game still has one of the most badass protagonist ever. He can fucking DIY a Plasma Cutter ON THE FLY while 3 meters away there's a Necromorph HACKING AND SLASHING at a poor guy strapped on a sickbed. All the while Isaac can still calmly say "hang on!". In some way he's way cooler than even Duke Nukem, because Isaac can be awesome without trying to say awesome things.

Heresiarch said:
In some way he's way cooler than even Duke Nukem

STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM! No one is cooler than Duke Nukem.
DS2 is an ok game, but I didn't want to start a new game after finishing it. Somehow I still liked first one better, despite the small improvements in the second one. I also disliked lack of boss fights and that boring hacking minigame. I preferred Isaac being silent too.

torpid

Liturgist
I haven't played the game so I don't have an opinion on whether it's good or bad (though it looks like more of the same), but your reasons for liking the game are kinda shit. Just saying.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters. Enter room, get ambushed by monsters.

That's some amazing and unique gameplay there.

relootz

Scholar
garren said:
Shitty camera, shitty controls, shitty plot (there's another marker, go and destroy it. again.), cliched horror, quicktime events, need I say more?

:x

Why people even install Dead Space 2 after Dead Space 1 is a mystery for me.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
relootz said:
Why people even install Dead Space 2 after Dead Space 1 is a mystery for me.

I'll probably do it because DS1 is fun. I'll probably want to replay the first game before though.

Topher

Cipher
I first game was decent enough but I was disappointed to hear that they gave Issac a voice in Dead Space 2.

Raapys

Arcane
I liked it. They did the shooting thing really well, camera and controls were much better than in the first game, killing and decapitating enemies was very satisfying, and upgrading stuff was at least semi-interesting given the unlockable secondary attacks.

Story was shit as was level design and monster spawns, but that's no less than I've come to expect from all new games.

xemous

Arcane
Dead Space 1 was good except it's uninteresting cast of characters. Thats what they needed to work on in Dead Space 2, instead they just made it a linear version of the first game, removed the suit upgrades (u get different suits but they're all as good as the last), and kill more monsters. I didn't like the game.

If you liked Dead Space 1 and haven't played System Shock 2 I highly recommend.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The atmosphere, sounds and areas of Dead Space are fucking awesome. I came in my pants. The weapon upgrades and the whole store thing were also cool.

What ruined the entire game (I wont even go into the story) is it is Enter Room Get Ambushed: The Game.

Had they tempered that with more exploration, it honestly would have been awesome. BUT, console kiddies want constant pew pew pew, so for them, it delivered.

If they actually did that in Dead Space 2 (cut the stupid ambush shit in say half), then I might actually be interested.

Also do NOT play the PC version. It is and was always meant to be a console game. I learned this lesson from the steam PC version.

Jaesun said:
Also do NOT play the PC version. It is and was always meant to be a console game. I learned this lesson from the steam PC version.

I don't understand. I would never want to play this game with anything other than keyboard and mouse. I never understood where these complaints about bad controls come from (other than the V. Sync bug of course). Maybe because I never thought it was supposed to control like Max Payne.

made

Arcane
It's mostly about mouse sensitivity. When you go back to DS1 after playing DS2 you'll notice.

Overall though I agree that DS1 was better, largely thanks to the novelty factor.

made said:
It's mostly about mouse sensitivity. When you go back to DS1 after playing DS2 you'll notice.

Maybe I will, I've been thinking of doing that sometime. Even though other people didn't need to play DS2 to complain about DS1 having bad controls. Maybe it's because I have a really sensitive mouse I didn't have such problems.

made

Arcane
The problem was iirc that aim-mode and normal-move-mode use different sensitivity factors (?), so I had to constantly adjust it on my mouse or find a compromise that felt awkward either way.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
MetalCraze said:
Jaesun said:
Enter Room Get Ambushed: The Game

You've just described 95% of console shooters in the past 5 years (the rest are open map shooters where there are no rooms)

It is not the Ambushing in the sense that a upcoming room have a ton of adversaries, but it is that creatures spawn behind you IN small tight corridors.

It was not that bad in Dead Space 1, but in 2 IT has gone full retard with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom