Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death of Sony?

FaChoi

Educated
While Sony is busy trying to sue everyone in sight, including most recently Graf, a German working to restore the removed Linux otherOS function.

It seems everyone else is having a go at suing them:

The Guardian said:
European customs officers have been ordered to seize shipments of Playstation 3s after LG won a preliminary injunction against Sony in an acrimonious patent battle between the two Asian electronics giants.

The ruling by the civil court of justice in the Hague means that all new PS3s have to be confiscated as they are imported into the UK and the rest of Europe for at least 10 days.

If the injunction was extended it could mean consoles disappearing from high street shelves. It is understood that Sony and computer games retailers typically have about two to three weeks' worth of PS3s in stock across the continent.

Tens of thousands of PS3s were seized by customs officers last week in the Netherlands, the Guardian has learnt, in a dispute that centres on Sony's allegedly infringing use of Blu-ray technology belonging to LG.
Source

Anyone else fed up with Sony?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Love it when it is big companies hurt by patents instead of the designed target, small competitors.

Their response is to create patent consortiums ofcourse, like MPEG LA instead of pressuring their political cocksuckers to eliminate that shit.

Gotta keep them down.

FaChoi

Educated
Vaarna- The legal part of the patent shit will be some bullshit only a patent lawyer could fully understand.

The Korea v Japan, LG v Sony i think was started by Sony claiming patent infringement on LG phones and wanting sales stopped, this is LG's counter suit.

Suchy

Arcane
that would mean no competition for 360 -> consoletards stuck with the same ancient hardware untill 2020 -> shit ports to PC until 2020.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nah. It means Sony (and microsoft) will just move the timetable up.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
FaChoi said:
The Guardian said:
European customs officers have been ordered to seize shipments of Playstation 3s after LG won a preliminary injunction against Sony in an acrimonious patent battle between the two Asian electronics giants.

The ruling by the civil court of justice in the Hague means that all new PS3s have to be confiscated as they are imported into the UK and the rest of Europe for at least 10 days.

If the injunction was extended it could mean consoles disappearing from high street shelves. It is understood that Sony and computer games retailers typically have about two to three weeks' worth of PS3s in stock across the continent.

Tens of thousands of PS3s were seized by customs officers last week in the Netherlands, the Guardian has learnt, in a dispute that centres on Sony's allegedly infringing use of Blu-ray technology belonging to LG.
Source
So, now customs are stealing people's private property because of some legal bullshit? Disgusting.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Regardless of whether it's the end of Sony or not, I would like to draw the BROs' attention to one fact:

What this means is:

There are now less consoles for sale in Europe

:incline: :thumbsup:

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Awor Szurkrarz said:
FaChoi said:
The Guardian said:

Source
So, now customs are stealing people's private property because of some legal bullshit? Disgusting.
sony labeled the ps3 as a computer instead of a gaming console to reduce the customs tax for electronic devices. they justified that with the inclusion of a linux boot option. now that that is history, i guess the customs guys were keen on getting their hands on some of those 'computers'.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Suchy said:
that would mean no competition for 360 -> consoletards stuck with the same ancient hardware untill 2020 -> shit ports to PC until 2020.

There's always the Wii :M

But seriously, Microsoft seems determined to compete with Nintendo. Just look at all the money they spent on the Kinect.

UserNamer

Cipher
Suchy said:

Didn't sony and microsoft lost billions by investing in consoles? I think the xbox has become profitable only recently, but its profitability is measurable in millions where they spent billions and billions on it. There may never be a next generation of consoles

DraQ

Arcane
UserNamer said:
Suchy said:

Didn't sony and microsoft lost billions by investing in consoles? I think the xbox has become profitable only recently, but its profitability is measurable in millions where they spent billions and billions on it. There may never be a next generation of consoles
I will track you down and hug you if that turns out to be true.

You have been warned.

Black

Arcane
I'd be fine if only Wii and Nintendo existed in console world. The rest has to die, though.

consolesincome.jpg

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Consoles aren't very profitable because they are usually sold for a price that is below production costs. What really matters is how much money they get from developers.

MapMan

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Consoles aren't very profitable because they are usually sold for a price that is below production costs. What really matters is how much money they get from developers.

And since:

1270152122529.jpg

They are constantly losing more and more...

baronjohn

Cipher
DraQ said:
UserNamer said:
Suchy said:

I will track you down and hug you if that turns out to be true.

You have been warned.
If consoles die that will be the end of gaming as we know it since all the big publishers rely on console sales. You'd basically be left with shitloads of F2P games and a trickle of indies.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
So, Matrix Games, Battlefront, HPSSims and others are console publishers?

torpid said:

Damn, Nintendo releases a gimmick console then laughs all the way to the bank.
More like Nintendo releases the only real console while the others release dumbed-down computers.

Black

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
More like Nintendo releases the only real console while the others release dumbed-down computers.
Yes, this.
Sorry, but if your "consoles" have to install games and need HDDs bought, have framerate issues (I've seen some CoD game lagging like hell if the other guy was close enough) and horrible loading times (a New Vegas loading screen can take up to literally ~5 minutes if not more) then it's a shitty PC, not even a console.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom