Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DeathSpank is out on PC

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Quick impressions: Torchlight is a much better game in just about every way. There isn't much of a character system here.

The humor doesn't work for me, reeks of trying too hard. The voice work is way overacted and hammy.

made

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
Quick impressions: Torchlight is a much better game in just about every way.
Well, if even Torchlight is better then there's no hope for this one. That was one boring, empty husk of a game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Lesifoere said:
The humor doesn't work for me, reeks of trying too hard. The voice work is way overacted and hammy.

That's the impression that I got from watching the quick-look on giantbomb.com. Seemed like a bad episode of Friends.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
made said:
Lesifoere said:
Quick impressions: Torchlight is a much better game in just about every way.
Well, if even Torchlight is better then there's no hope for this one. That was one boring, empty husk of a game.[/quote

Yep. Take Torchlight, then remove... almost everything, add the aforementioned bad humor, add dubious controls, and DeathSpank is what you get. The fact that it's an XBLA port shows, btw.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Nope. The new Bard's Tale had better gameplay and voice acting. I'm serious.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Lesifoere said:
Better gameplay? Really? Is Deathspank that bad? that's a shame. I loved the voice acting in Bard's Tale (Tony Jay and Cary Elwes snapping at each other? yes please. It was also one of Jay's last works :( ) but the gameplay was a horrible, horrible abomination. If it weren't for the VA and the occasionally funny humor I would've never finished it.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sceptic said:
Lesifoere said:
Better gameplay? Really? Is Deathspank that bad? that's a shame. I loved the voice acting in Bard's Tale (Tony Jay and Cary Elwes snapping at each other? yes please. It was also one of Jay's last works :( ) but the gameplay was a horrible, horrible abomination. If it weren't for the VA and the occasionally funny humor I would've never finished it.

Yeah Tony Jay and Elwes made that game worthy of a play.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
It's bad. Very clunky and, maybe I just haven't played enough of it--I got as far as level two and got so fucking bored I uninstalled and went to kill my brain cells in Civ 5 instead--but I didn't see any hint of spells or abilities. You have weapons, which you put into right/left-click slots. Then you have a "Justice Meter" which you fill up by killing shit, and when it's full you can execute a special move as determined by the special weapon you've got equipped at the time (stunning all enemies, attacking multiple enemies, whatever). And that's it. No skill trees, no anything, just click click click to bash/slash/special move. Oh, and no stats, quite naturally. Makes playing Torchlight look like number-crunching hardcore WoW raiders who make damage output graphs.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Deathspank was never intended to be a true/proper ARPG -- it's a parody of genres and is really just an adventure game with ARPG game play. The humor is hit or miss.

Exmit

Scholar
I'm lvl 9.

If you enjoyed Monkeys Island humour , you will enjoy Deathspank.
If you enjoyed Diablo 1 you will enjoy Deathspank.

This game is for a niche group. You either like it or hate it. There is no good or bad with this game.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Exmit likes it. that's like the diamond standard seal of retardation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom