Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Derp Rising 2

Topher

Cipher
Zed said:
The first one was mindless fun until it melted my Xbawks.

This.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Multi-headed Cow said:
How about the survivors? Sounds like survivors have improved AI which is great.

Yep, much improved, don't need constant monitoring, but they will end up in a death grip if you ignore them and run them into a large crowd. I think you can also set waypoints for them. In the demo one survivor limped along at zombie speed or you could pick her up and carry her.

Still undecided on if I wanna buy Case Zero for $5 or not. Particularly since I'm not sure if I'm gonna pick Dead Rising 2 up on 360 or PC.
I'd look at it more as pre-release DLC, if you're not getting it for x-box don't bother. There is a free trial of it though I think, not sure what it includes.

Luzur

Good Sir
BLOBERT said:
COW BRO LOLLOLOL WHY BOTHER EVERYONE WILL POST CONSIOLETARD DOGFUCKER DUMBSHIT CUNT SCATEASTUNG BITCH WHY POST THAY DECLINE SHIT

COW BRO YOU AND I KNOW IT IS A SOLID GAME

OH WAIT LOLLOLOLLO IT IS CONSOLETARD SHIT FOR FAGBOX FAGS LOLOLOOLOLLOL

LOLOLOLOLL BRO STEROYTYOEINCAL VILLIAN GUY YOU ARE HERE ALOT EVEN YOU HAVE TO POST OH YEAH BRO I KNOW THE GAME IS GAY CONSELTARF FAG SHIT BUT MY FRIEND MIGHT WANT TO PLAY IT GET THE FUCK OUT WITHTHIS LAME ASS SHIT

/thread.

Silellak

Cipher
Multi-headed Cow said:
How about the survivors? Sounds like survivors have improved AI which is great. I'm amazed they didn't remove the cool hardcore parts of the game that make it tense (No checkpoints, time limit) and seemingly improved the things that were just straight broken (Controls, survivor AI). HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN, GAME DEVELOPERS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE TERRIBLE.

Still undecided on if I wanna buy Case Zero for $5 or not. Particularly since I'm not sure if I'm gonna pick Dead Rising 2 up on 360 or PC. If the PC port is good (Which Capcom's recent PC port history seems to indicate is likely) then it's $40 on Steam as opposed to $60 for 360. 360 version would let me carry over Case Zero shit if I do get it. Since PC version is GFWL maybe that would too but I doubt it.
I bought Case Zero last night, but it didn't finish downloading in time for me to actually try it.

Will play tonight and report back. :salute:

Silellak

Cipher
Report:

Case Zero is worth the $5, if you enjoyed the first Dead Rising. If you didn't, I don't think anything is going to convince you that you suddenly do now. It's more of the same, which is great for those of us who loved the first one.

There are a couple of concessions the developers seem to have made for the whiners: First, there are now three save slots instead of the one, as mentioned previously. I'm only okay with this because at least it avoids the "my only save just got corrupted" issue. Second, you are occasionally given the option to save when not near a save point - it seems to be limited to when you "solve" part of a Case. It happens rarely enough that it's not a big deal.

The soul and difficulty of the game are intact, and the new weapon combinations are a fun addition. It's a nice touch that you get extra PP (experience) when using a "combo" weapon.

My favorite combo from the demo:

The only psychopath you fight is at the end of the demo. He has a pitchfork/shotgun combo where you can stab your enemy, then blast them with the attached shotgun. Realistic? No, but hilarious. Once you beat him, you not only get his weapon, but the "recipe" to make your own later.

My favorite moment from the demo:

At one point there are two survivors fighting off zombies. One of them is using a motorcycle part you need as a weapon, and will only give it up for a "better" weapon - a broad sword from a nearby hunting shop. The hunting shop was locked, though, and since I was running out of time, I decided to just go back and murder the survivors so I could take the motorcycle handle. I love that that sort of thing is actually an option.

The demo is fairly short (I beat it in one night) but is replayable because you can bring over any PP (up to Level 5) and weapon combos you find into the full game. There's also 4 or 5 endings, in case you want to fuck around and see what the worst possible result is. I got the best ending on my first try, because I am fucking awesome. :smug:

Verdict: :thumbsup:

Will purchase on or near release day.

Hobo Elf said:
Capcom + PC is never a good sign. Be warned.

How so? 5 years ago I certainly would have agreed, but from what I have seen their recent ports are very well done insofar that they aren't buggy and/or poorly optimized.

From what I have heard Dead Rising 1 is considered fairly hardcore for having a limited timer to do shit in as well as having a fairly open world-type approach to gameplay. I'll at least give it a chance. Time limited games tend to give me boners :D

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
Well, I for one like Dead Rising too, I really hope that the full version of Dead Rising 2 will be as great as it's prequel. Especially now that the Resident Evil series turned to shit, I kinda miss the gameplay of the first ones.

I just like zombie games, smashing their heads in, at least the Dead Rising zombies didn't turn into the hyperactive running zombies. Considering that even Romero went that road with his movies.

Multi-headed Cow said:
I'm amazed they didn't remove the cool hardcore parts of the game that make it tense (No checkpoints, time limit) and seemingly improved the things that were just straight broken (Controls, survivor AI). HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN, GAME DEVELOPERS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE TERRIBLE.

That amazes me too, I was expecting that they threw everything that made the game good in the garbage bin to appease to a broader fanbase. But no, they just went to expand on the basic formula, and even adding a co-op mode to the mix.

bert

Arcane
Multi-headed Cow said:
How about the survivors? Sounds like survivors have improved AI which is great. I'm amazed they didn't remove the cool hardcore parts of the game that make it tense (No checkpoints, time limit) and seemingly improved the things that were just straight broken (Controls, survivor AI). HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN, GAME DEVELOPERS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE TERRIBLE.

I hope they still have OP weapons for the game that you unlock by spending 6 or so hours of your game grinding for :M

Achilles

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
Hobo Elf said:
Capcom + PC is never a good sign. Be warned.

How so? 5 years ago I certainly would have agreed, but from what I have seen their recent ports are very well done insofar that they aren't buggy and/or poorly optimized.

Indeed, from Devil May Cry 4 (and?) onwards (which was the time Capcom decided to handle the PC version in-house) all PC versions of Capcom games were very solid ports. It would be nice if they could rework the interface to be used with kb+mouse, but other than that it's all good.

So I bought it today.... and Games for Windows Live is telling me that it won't be available until September 27 02:00.

I wonder why they bothered releasing the physical copy today. :?

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
RaXz said:
I just like zombie games, smashing their heads in, at least the Dead Rising zombies didn't turn into the hyperactive running zombies. Considering that even Romero went that road with his movies.

What the hell are you talking about? No he didn't.

Multi-headed Cow

Technically they weren't supposed to. Store broke release date.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Got my PS3 special edition right here. What a Rip off if you ask me. A toy zombie figure, what looks like a giant lego head and a traffic cone + the making of CD are all well and good, but if I had taken the cheaper offer I would have got a Syringe shaped pen instead. :x FFS

Multi-headed Cow

Apparently poles can into early Dead Rising 2 release, and from what I've been reading the PC version has pretty decent performance and much, MUCH better loading times than on console. The biggest hit to PC performance is the blur effect, so if it's running slow at all kill that first.

Since I've got confirmation that the PC version isn't a complete mess I guess I'll snag it on Steam for $40.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
PC version runs great on my 4 year old rig. Granted, it was upper range when I bought (3.6 ghz, 2 gig ram, GT8800) it but the performance still surprises me. Game is exactly the kind of fun that Dead Rising was minus the one aspect that utterly ruined that one for me. Survivors aren't as braindead as the zombies anymore and now manage to survive pretty well. Loading times are pretty short as well. Fun game.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Topher said:
Zed said:
The first one was mindless fun until it melted my Xbawks.

This.
You misquoted and now people might think I own a console.

I demand an apology good sir.

MapMan

Arcane
Runs good, plays good. The whole area of Fortune City is rather big and there is a lot of time to explore (not that you have the time to do so...). What it lacks is custom keyboard controls.

Also confirmed: Runs way better and looks better without blur.

Damn, this game is more complex than I first though... I can't tell how many times I've nearly ran out of time on a critical task. I sure hope there's some sort of sandbox mode that unlocks after the story is done though... something tells me that I won't get to see all of Fortune City unless there is.

(Or a restart where you get to keep your previously earned levels or something.)

Silellak

Cipher
Stereotypical Villain said:
(Or a restart where you get to keep your previously earned levels or something.)
This is pretty much a staple of the Dead Rising series. DR1 had it, and Case Zero had it, so I imagine DR2 is going to have it. You simply can't do everything possible in the game on a single playthrough.

So even if there's isn't a "sandbox mode", once you complete the game, you can probably just start over with your existing character and dick around to your heart's content, ignoring the desperate cries for help around you. At least, I have fond memories of doing so in DR1. Multiple save slots should make this even easier.

I wonder if DR2 is going to have an "overtime mode". If you got the best ending (there were at least several) after the first 3 days in DR1, there was a fourth "overtime mode" day after which you get the real ending.

Multi-headed Cow

Overtime mode is confirmed if you get the best ending. There apparently is no infinite mode, but if you want to just dick around and explore it will keep your level and money so you can start a new game just ignore case files and/or let your daughter turn into a zombie.

Got this purchased on Steam and finishing up preloading it now. Looking forwrad to playing tomorrow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom