Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex: HR in August? Now with added Leak?!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
They shouldn't have been in the company of men without supervision by their father or husband.

:andhairaX:

meh

Educated
Fuck this shit. I've lost the hope I had.

I understand and support ads in free multiplayer games like Quake Live, which have ability to disable them if you pay for an account. BUT THIS FUCK THIS SHIT PISS FROM THE ASS SHIT.

Gord

Arcane
Jasede said:
When you go to the Superbowl, don't you have to watch ads during half-time?

Not saying that this isn't a horrible development, mind you.

It's called sponsoring and it's one of the major sources of income for the whole industry around professional sports...

That being said, I understand where you're coming from, but stop playing devil's advocate for fucks sake!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Like you said, devil's advocate. Arguing is all that's left to do, now that there are no more good new games to talk about.

Fuck, man. I can't even believe I consider playing this game. I know it'll be terrible. This advertising thing opens up an entire cupboard full of worm-filled cans.

=/

Gord

Arcane
And what if it'll be good after all?
As I said, I for my part refuse to buy it with that advertiesement shit present. Would be a pity.

DraQ

Arcane
Jasede said:
I wasn't that against ads, but real-life celebrities from our time, and the McDonald's price in Australian dollars?

Look, I can see McDonald's and Adidas still being around in the future. But putting -today's- ads into the game, rather than custom versions made by McD or Adidas specifically for the game, that mesh with the mood and setting? That, I think, is inexcusable.
This, though connecting to any sort of ad-server is inexcusable. If they just made normal in-game ads (custom, to mesh with the setting) and product placement, that wouldn't be much of a problem.

Destroid

Arcane
Gord said:
Jasede said:
When you go to the Superbowl, don't you have to watch ads during half-time?

Not saying that this isn't a horrible development, mind you.

It's called sponsoring and it's one of the major sources of income for the whole industry around professional sports...

That being said, I understand where you're coming from, but stop playing devil's advocate for fucks sake!

Like they need the money, how much does your average NFL player make?

J1M

Arcane
Ok we get it, nobody wants McDonald's ads in their games.

Now stop gaying up this thread. It used to contain some interesting discussion.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
This recent news inspired me to hunt down information on how to block in-game ads from my games that have it. I was extremely surprised to find that beyond Battlefield 2142, there is next to no information on how to deal with this stuff, especially considering how popular ad-blocking software is and how vocal many people are about ads.

I am disappointed.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Hm. So I pay $60 for futuristic escapism only to be constantly reminded of the bloated consumerist society I see every single fucking day.

Gord

Arcane
sea said:
This recent news inspired me to hunt down information on how to block in-game ads from my games that have it. I was extremely surprised to find that beyond Battlefield 2142, there is next to no information on how to deal with this stuff, especially considering how popular ad-blocking software is and how vocal many people are about ads.

I am disappointed.

I guess that's to be expected, as it has not been done very often in games yet.
However I'm afraid more and more publishers are going to force that shit on us if they feel their customers don't care.
And inevitably also the amount of ads is going to increase.
Maybe it is barely noticeable in HR, but do you really think it's going to stay like that if they see that they can sell it?

1eyedking said:
Any kind of ads is inexcusable, goddamit.

Eh. One of the themes of the setting is "big corporations everywhere", and big corporations put ads everywhere. There's a problem if the ads don't mesh with the scene, being from our time with our money and our celebrities. It's a matter of...

...forgive me, god...

...art direction.

Gord said:
I give a fuck if it's one ad per level or one every 10 seconds.
I don't want advertisement in my games, therefore I ain't going to support this shit.

If it turns out to be true that we have to endure server-fed ads for contemporary products I'm not buying this game at full price.
Maybe if it's really good and drops below 50% and the ads can be blocked.
But until this I'll skip it.

We both know you'll pirate it the instant it's avaliable like everyone else here, why pretend so hard

t1home_obama_smile_gi.jpg

Redeye

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
1eyedking said:

Eh. One of the themes of the setting is "big corporations everywhere", and big corporations put ads everywhere. There's a problem if the ads don't mesh with the scene, being from our time with our money and our celebrities. It's a matter of...

...forgive me, god...

...art direction.

By making the player feel oppressed by the total commercialization of public (and possibly private) spaces, the decentering experienced by the player [sitting at computer "pretending" to be in another world] is displaced into the gameworld, generating or reinforcing a dimension of immersion.
Thus, ironically, alienation of the player attenuates the roleplaying experience.
"Recentering by recommodification".

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Clockwork Knight said:
1eyedking said:

Just because ads are "realistic", "thematically appropriate" or however you want to justify them, really does not change the fact that they are still advertising. Advertising exists for one reason: to sell products. For me, it constitutes a force of malevolence when it is imposed upon me without my consent, or in a situation where it is inappropriate (such as, for instance, a product I have already paid money for). There are a few exceptions to this; for instance, sponsored products in simulation titles, for instance, because the mandate of the genre is to capture and emulate reality, or at least to provide a portrait of reality. Outside of the simulation and sports genres of games, I have yet to see a game in which ads provided a positive contribution, or even a subtle, non-harmful one.

I also don't buy the message that it doesn't take away from the core game experience. I think it does, incredibly so. In-game ads are distracting, more so than regular ads on television or in print because they are often placed to be seen, and can't be filtered out in the same way because the entertainment experience is interactive - you can't just "turn your brain off" or "mute the volume" in the same way you can elsewhere. A while back I bought Burnout: Paradise, and while I more than enjoyed the game, ultimately much of its atmosphere was killed by the fact that I was constantly being exposed to billboard ads, ads on the sides of trucks, in menu screens, etc. I'd be getting into the game, only to see yet another brightly-lit advertisement parading around, almost pushing its way into view, the camera lingering just a little bit too long for comfort, and I'd be pulled out of my fantasy, back into cold, harsh reality, where I am nothing but a number and everyone wants more of my money no matter how much I spend it.

Truth is, it really doesn't matter who's advertising, or what, or for why. It has no place in a product I have paid for unless that advertising is providing me with a service that goes beyond what other games offer without advertising (since the argument used by publishers is that it pays for server costs etc. instead of, you know, "we just want more fucking money"), and publishers certainly lose much of my respect for trying to hide the fact that they have in-game advertising, for deliberately being vague and obfuscating just what data they collect, but not providing an opt-out function, and for not releasing mod tools or providing community support largely because it would infringe on their ad revenue. It fucking stinks no matter who's doing it, and it instantly drags down just about any game. No matter how good Deus Ex: Human Revolution is, it will always be a game that's trying to sell me something beyond its core experience I have already paid for.

CorpseZeb

Learned
sea said:
Truth is, it really doesn't matter who's advertising, or what, or for why. It has no place in a product I have paid for unless that advertising is providing me with a service that goes beyond what other games offer without advertising.

Advertisements are part of city streets since ancient Rome, I don't see any reasons they can't be integral part of future streets too. It's just, as some wrote, matter of art direction, matter of proper design. “Bladerunner” comes to mind...

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Blade Runner's advertising was there to sell things to people, even if it was well-integrated into the game's setting, and even if Ridley Scott did have some artistic purpose behind it. I'm quite sure with Deus Ex, artistic integrity behind the ads is a very, very distant priority.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
sea said:
I'm quite sure with Deus Ex, artistic integrity behind the ads is a very, very distant priority.

real ads mean realism

just like yellow hue shaders mean renaissance

CorpseZeb

Learned
sea said:
Blade Runner's advertising was there to sell things to people, even if it was well-integrated into the game's setting, and even if Ridley Scott did have some artistic purpose behind it. I'm quite sure with Deus Ex, artistic integrity behind the ads is a very, very distant priority.

Yes, that's probably very true, but poor quality doesn’t defeat sole purpose of existence advertisements in games.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Jesus christ, stop giving a shit. IW was already a terrible piece of shit, this will be shit, move the fuck on. There's two mentalities you can adopt here. First the wise "shit unless proved otherwise", or the one I personally prefer, "don't give a damn will pirate and try". You can either project your concerns about this game on the whole of the game industry and see it as the utter sign of the decline of western culture and mankind (why not), you can even project your identity issues on the fact that fat game devs are lacking in energy and creativity, or then you can see this as a game you'll waste time on and might get a varying level of fun out of it. I don't know Codex, your shit is getting stale. I guess we do have newbies to inject all the unecessary passion into the dialogue, but honestly I find it to be uninspired. You need another angle. Here is my suggestion :

:yeah:

FUCK YEAH THIS WILL BE GRAET
YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT NIGS

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS WE HAVE BEEN PAYING TO WATCH ADS FOREVER GODDAMMIT MY NEGRO ET SOLD A SHITLOAD OF EREECES PEACES

Gord

Arcane
I know bro but we are not yet paid to play video games well maybe unless you are from south korea and really good at starcraft or a chinese gold farmer for wow but then you still earn almost nothing but anyway most of us aren't and so we can only watch the ads and still have to pay for this shit and this is a shame really.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Serious_Business said:
you can even project your identity issues on the fact that fat game devs are lacking in energy and creativity,
Whoa, if there's one accustation you can't throw against them, it's that.
33nhog3.jpg

See, the fat devs are in the single digits and somewhat-carefully hidden. Energy and creativity, now that's a different matter.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Roguey said:
See, the fat devs are in the single digits and somewhat-carefully hidden. Energy and creativity, now that's a different matter.

How many dudes there! Comes to mind something about typewriter, monkeys and Shakespeare... So... who knows... who knows...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom