Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is 25 hours long

Seolas

Liturgist
They've said 25 is the main quest (so it's probably 20 in reality) but that the whole game "isn't even close" to that long (in that its longer).

J1M

Arcane
tehRPness said:
Major_Blackhart said:
Upgrades? Not necessarily augmentations.
In truth, the game will be shit. I will not buy it, a close friend of mine will. We will play it. I will get pissed at how poor a shitfest it is compared to the original. He will reply "It's good for what it is. As a DX game, yeah it sucks. But as a game, it's ok." He will be wrong.
This.

25 hours doesn't mean shit if there's actual replay value, and it means less than shit if the game isn't any fun to play. You wouldn't wanna sit through a horrendously painful 25 hour blowjob either, I hope.
Both previous DX games had upgrades too. You know, after you picked an aug...

Nael

Arcane
Konjad said:
at least this game won't screw up series because IW already did that :thumbsup:

Exactly.

Everyone just needs to face facts that Deus Ex was a perfect storm. A tsunami of awesome proportions. It's not coming back and this "Human Revolutions" game is a fucking spin-off. NOT a sequel. Deus Ex: Human Revolutions will be to Deus Ex what I,Robot the movie was to I, Robot the book.

Project: Eternity
Not sure if this was pointed out before, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W075CHl4K64

dxhrscreen.jpg

This is apparently the art director for the game. Notice the looks of the main character in the background. :lol:

made

Arcane
Freelance Henchman said:
This is apparently the art director for the game. Notice the looks of the main character in the background. :lol:

Jonathan-Jacques-Belletete.jpg

Jacques-Belletete: Freakin’ Andre. The way that it really happened, honestly – it’s funny because it’s pretty obvious that it looks like me, but you guys are really the first bunch where everybody’s asking me this question. Usually people don’t ask, even though it’s super obvious. It’s never really been wanted that way, like, “Let’s put Jon in the game”, not at all. It started with the poster. Jim, this awesome illustrator that we have, like a crazy genius artist, he had to do that. He had a really short period of time and he wanted someone to pose for it just to get the pose down, which kind of speeds up the process. So I posed for that, and then, being the crazy illustrator that he is, he’s just so talented, that this ended up really being me and everything.

And also, we’ve never wanted to have a big brutish dude in a game, you know like a Marcus Fenix type of guy. A sentence that we always say is that “Adam can seriously kick your ass, but he goes home and reads a good book.” Then we wanted the Don Quixote thing with the little goatee and stuff. But yeah, definitely he totally looks like me. It’s like a coincidence and it isn’t. It’s a coincidence because it’s never been something that we wanted to do, and then it isn’t a coincidence because Jim said “You wanna pose?” and I said “Sure.”

At least it's not a fat nerd like Gaider.

So when people buy/rent/steal this game and are on the internet talking about it...is this guy going to be in his office watching, furiously masturbating or something?

"They...love...ME!"

7hm said:
Rohit_N said:
Other stuff from PC Gamer:

On Deus Ex difficulty, you die almost instantly under fire. If a bullet only scrapes you, it takes around thirty seconds to recover from the hit. Even on Normal, which I eventually resorted to at one difficulty spike towards the end of my time, health doesn’t regenerate for a significant time after you’re shot. It feels much more serious than a Call of Duty gunshot wound, despite the fact that no-one throws jelly in your eyes to obscure your vision.
What I can tell you is that I left slightly shellshocked by how punishing it feels, heartened by how like the original it is, and more excited than ever to play it on PC, where it clearly belongs.

Keep in mind these people complained about how difficult DA was on normal mode too.

Health regeneration... Health regeneration? Bros, what is this popamole shit? More like Deus Ex: Human Turd

Radisshu

Prophet
CrunchyHemorrhoids said:
Not like Mike Thorton wasn't just MCA with a better hairline.

Not really. Thorton had less jaw and a larger nose.

wait why the fuck do i know this

roll-a-die

Magister
Radisshu said:
CrunchyHemorrhoids said:

Not really, What's his face from DEHR has a smaller jaw line and more implausible goatee. Also different ear level, concave cheeks, and more angular chin.

Quilty

Magister
roll-a-die said:
Radisshu said:
CrunchyHemorrhoids said:

Not really, What's his face from DEHR has a smaller jaw line and more implausible goatee. Also different ear level, concave cheeks, and more angular chin.

:what:

I've got bad news for you two...

UndetectedButthurt said:
7hm said:
Rohit_N said:
Other stuff from PC Gamer:

On Deus Ex difficulty, you die almost instantly under fire. If a bullet only scrapes you, it takes around thirty seconds to recover from the hit. Even on Normal, which I eventually resorted to at one difficulty spike towards the end of my time, health doesn’t regenerate for a significant time after you’re shot. It feels much more serious than a Call of Duty gunshot wound, despite the fact that no-one throws jelly in your eyes to obscure your vision.
What I can tell you is that I left slightly shellshocked by how punishing it feels, heartened by how like the original it is, and more excited than ever to play it on PC, where it clearly belongs.

Keep in mind these people complained about how difficult DA was on normal mode too.

Health regeneration... Health regeneration? Bros, what is this popamole shit? More like Deus Ex: Human Turd

Out of all the reasons to be skeptical about the DE reboot, why do people keep on criticising it for flaws/features that were already in Deus Ex? Deus Ex was a great game - possibly my favourite - but it was as dumbed down consoletard as you can get:
- purely cosmetic C+C, even less than the blue shirts v red shirts that people bitch about. At absolute most you end up with a different cinematic and a different guy saying the same dialogue;
- health regen, with so much rechargeability that even on max difficulty keeping health at max between battles is never a problem;
- later on the health regen gets so insane that you can outheal enemy damage - again the energy usage v energy supply is so unbalanced that you never need to worry about conserving, even on max difficulty;
- piss-easy combat after the 1st mission;
- piss-easy stealth with utterly retarded AI; Leads to a total 'no rough edges, child-proof game design' level of non-difficulty.
- even aside from the retarded stealth-related AI issues, how many times do you remember THIS occurring: Player picks off guard in front of other guards, guards get alerted: 'Saw a guy in a trenchcoat'....'Must have been a rat'. Player picks off next moronic guard, etc etc. And of course, the wonderful: throw gas grenade onto stairs, set off alarm....guards come running, see great big gascloud in front of them. Do they stop and start firing at you? No, much more sensible to run one at a time into the cloud of gas and get knocked out, so that you, the player, can calmly stroll in and kill them with a crowbar,being barely affected by the gas despite no protective suit and no points in the relevant skill, and heal up again without penalty (see earlier point about health regen). Oh, and the wonderful 'hack the guy's email while standing in front of him' shenanigans.
- linear storyline;
- soft skills where you can pwn with the flamethrower and missile launcher without investing a single point in heavy weaponry. Seriously, I never ever invest in those, or in demolitions, yet I can disarm every LAM and I always tote a flamethrower until I get the missile launcher. They're the most useful weapons for straight-out killing even if you don't touch the relevant skill.
- soft non-combat skills that trivialise character building: you can get every underwater item with 1 point in swim (less if you hold on to a rebreather - and there is only 1 point in the game where a rebreather is useful without one being conveniently there for you to pick up; you can hack any computer system with minimal investment - as a consequence it becomes impossible for your character to NOT become superb at everything. Trivialises character builds;
- unkillable NPCs who suddenly turn killable at the 'right time'.

And, yes, I still fucking love the game. Because, like all of Spector's other games for the PC (especially UU, System Shock games) it has insanely good map-design that allows multiple approaches. It also gives a good ILLUSION of linearity despite the choices being entirely cosmetic. The voice acting and writing is terrific. And the retarded AI is nonetheless conducive to emergent gameplay (that last point is possibly the most important).

I have seen nothing to indicate that the new game will have Spector's talent for products emergent gameplay or great map design. But all these other complaints make me wonder whether you guys have even played Deus Ex. It's about as 'hardcore' as Mass Effect 2.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I also don't give a shit about health regen.
As long as the game is still challenging, I couldn't care less.

Of course, health regen is sometimes a sign for a game being too easy.

I find health regen a rather effective way of giving an otherwise crappy game a tolerable playing experience.

If the game is bad, it generally makes it feel less bad.

But if the game is good, it generally makes it less good too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom