Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Launch Trailer and Reviews

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Fallout 3 better than Morrowind? Fucking hell. Fallout 3 was a children's version of Fallout. Morrowind at least stayed true to the lore and had a unique atmosphere, for all its other faults.
Compared to Daggerfall, which I consider a top 10 RPG, Morrowind is a dumbed down game that took way too many liberties with the lore. It did have a great and unique atmosphere though. I'm sure that DX: MD also has a great and unique atmosphere, but atmosphere and gameplay are two different things.

As a Fallout game, Fallout 3 was a fucking abomination. As an action game with mutants and vaults, it was alright, certainly no worse than other open world RPGs.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So I just fired up DX-HR director's cut. WTF is this shit? The performance is downright lousy and I'm using my new witcher3(tm) PC :lol: I played the original DXHR in my old core2duo pc with decent performance, this is just laughable.

So anyway, it seems that after some registry tweaks the performance has improved (Though some lag still appears), but I look at the game and the textures are just crap. where they this bad in the original game too? :

9BBv1Fj.jpg

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I have a choice to play DXMD or STALKER Misery mod. Looks like Misery is more engaging.

As for me, I see F4 as good game, when F3 was a source of rage, beacuse I saw F3 as a disguised Oblivion-with-guns, played it to get at least something positive, found none and threw it in the trash.
And when I sawchanges in what can be called as roleplay system in F4 I saw there decide to stop pretending that this is an some kind of RPG, and while they failed to fool me that F3 was Fallout, so F4 for me wasn't Fallout not RPG at all.
So I enjoyed it as first and only fullscale 3D roguelike game, also I still prefer classical ones.

imweasel

The performance is downright lousy and I'm using my new witcher3(tm) PC :lol:[...] the textures are just crap.
I haven't played the DC so I can't say anything about performance, but Human Revolution was never a graphically stunning game (far from it actually), but it was still visually appealing because it had a pretty good art direction.

Fallout 3 was kinda 'good for what it is'
:abyssgazer:

:backawayslowly:

Jezal_k23

The performance is downright lousy and I'm using my new witcher3(tm) PC :lol:[...] the textures are just crap.
I haven't played the DC so I can't say anything about performance, but Human Revolution was never a graphically stunning game (far from it actually), but it was still visually appealing because it had a pretty good art direction.

Fallout 3 was kinda 'good for what it is'
:abyssgazer:

:backawayslowly:

Ever since the abomination that is FO4 has been released and the world has been shown how low Bethesda can still stoop, FO3 has now seemingly been accepted as 'good for what it is', especially in comparison to FO4.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fallout 3 is kind of old-school in a way. It hails from an era when open world RPGs hadn't yet fully merged with the achievement whore "collect-a-thon" genre. For example, if you look at the game's arsenal of weapons (especially before the DLCs), there are not dozens of weapon variants with crafting and modifiers and shit.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Fallout 4 has better combat than Fallout 3. Of course it also has the benefit of years of technical improvements.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I think you guys are going crazy on the edgyness, Fallout 3 was and still is a terrible game, because it copy pasted some systems of Fallout 01 and 02, that means absolutely nothing because beyond the pipboy screen, the game is a terrible open world shooter and nothing more than it. Now, if you claimed New Vegas tried to be more RPGish and Fallout 4 was a massive decline from it, I would agree. I just don't see any value on Fallout 3 or Oblivion, just because the sequels dumb their systems down later, that doesn't mean they are now good games for it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
http://truepcgaming.com/2013/04/11/deus-ex-human-revolution-retrospect-interview/

"In retrospect, I think our game is a tad too hard on normal difficulty. It was quite a challenging game to balance. Our first pass at game balancing was too permissive. Players were playing the game like a typical run & shoot action game. Players weren’t using tactics, let alone their augmentations. It was tricky to find that sweet spot where the game is hard enough that you want to think and use your tools a little bit more, while still allowing the FPS vets to have fun with combat itself. Unfortunately, the game ended up being too punitive for some. If I could go back, I’d tone it down a bit, all over the place (AI, more consumables all in all, redesigned bosses, etc.)."
One studio manages to make a good for what it is AAA (or nearly, I heard it was a modest budget compared to true AAA) game and they ruin it all.

So I just fired up DX-HR director's cut. WTF is this shit? The performance is downright lousy and I'm using my new witcher3(tm) PC :lol: I played the original DXHR in my old core2duo pc with decent performance, this is just laughable.

So anyway, it seems that after some registry tweaks the performance has improved (Though some lag still appears), but I look at the game and the textures are just crap. where they this bad in the original game too? :
DC was known for "accidentally" using the Wii textures, and also using old code that has bugs the original release didn't.

As a Fallout game, Fallout 3 was a fucking abomination. As an action game with mutants and vaults, it was alright, certainly no worse than other open world RPGs.
If we're comparing Fallout 3 and Morrowind as open-world games on their own merits, forgetting about the series that preceded them, it's odd you think F3 "no worse". Morrowind generally had a cohesive, consistent, imaginative game world, and several memorable characters. As far as I can recall from your review and a few others (couldn't bear more than a single hour of the actual game) F3 is more of a theme park, filled with "cool stuff", some of it cringe-inducing, much of it poorly written.
Are mutants and vaults enough fun to make this irrelevant, or is F3 so mechanically superior as to beat MW as an open-world game in general? Did it really present a positive evolution in ARPGs?
YMMV I guess, but to me, much of the point of open-world games in general is the feel of that open world. Most of those which I enjoyed for the gameplay but thought had a bland gameworld I also think would have worked better without the open world in the first place (e.g. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Metal Gear Solid V).

Ash

Arcane
A positive of FO3 over Morrowind for me was the quests, while mostly shit, were far less grindy. Needless to say there's way too many go to x tomb and grab y item, rinse and repeat type quests in Elder Scrolls. And of course adapting Fallout's RPG systems is a far superior alternative to Elder Scroll's grindy leveling too. Basically the things they adapted from Fallout were, of course, good things. Overall Morrowind is the better, more hardcore, more imaginative and engaging RPG though.

As for the metacritic scores of FO:NV, I give absolutely no value to that given the whole 1 million bonus contract clause thing as well as all the retards saying it was a worse game than FO3. I put up with NV even when it was buggy as hell and loved every minute of it. If I were to give it a review, which I didn't (sorry Obsidian), it would have been a 10. A 9.5 perhaps in comparison to all RPGs, but since this was entering into 2011 I was already so very sick of the severe decline and it made me quite the happy player. when was the last time a sequel to a popular game had notably more depth, notably better writing, notably better design across the board in comparison to the predecessor? Human Revolution on the other hand was a massive disappointment, but enjoyable enough for a playthrough or two only to never be played again.

Last edited:

Space Insect

Arcane
While Morrowind's quests could be pretty bland, I thought they fit in well with the faction that would be giving the quests. The thieves guild would have you actually stealing stuff and you'd get punished for killing people. The Temple would have you go on pilgrimages to shrines. While that was usually just walking somewhere, it made complete sense with the faction.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sure, MW had a very coherent world but the gameplay was painful: awful combat and non-existing quest design. Fargoth's Gold was hand-scripted to impress the journalists but even this quest was fairly simple: follow the guy at night, which unlocks his hiding place you can't find otherwise. So once the magic of the visuals wears of, there isn't much left.

Fallout 3 had a pretty good quest design, which made the game more bearable for me. From the review:

"Side quest design is one of the strongest and most enjoyable aspects of the game. You have choices, consequences, multiple, often very different solutions, skill- and stat-checks, effective speech options, NPC reactions, etc. This design is very good (suffering only from poor writing) and I can only hope that it will be used extensively in future Bethesda titles.

One of the first Megaton quests is Blood Ties. It starts as a generic “deliver a letter” quest but quickly grows into something more complex. You discover that the family the letter was addressed to has been murdered (a successful Medicine check reveals the cause of their death) and their child is missing. Local residents inform you that a local gang may be responsible. You are given 3 possible locations where the gang could be found. No hand-holding. So, now the “deliver a letter” quest turns into a “save a kid” quest. Once you find the gang, you are free to attack them and save the kid. Or you can talk to them. Entering through the gate unmolested requires a bribe, or the above mentioned letter (it’s possible to initiate the quest without having the letter), or high speech, or a certain perk. When you talk to the leader, it transpires that it was the kid who killed his parents (which is a nice and unexpected twist) and the gang is helping him to control his urges. At this point, what you do is up to you. You can leave the kid with the gang or take him back (if you think this would be wise). You can still kill the gang ending the settlement’s problems with them, or you can broker a deal (protection for supplies)."

Basically, MW had a better world, lore, writing, but combat and quests - which is 90% of what you do in an open world game - very subpar. Fallout 3 was the other way around, so it depends on your tolerance level. If you can tolerate bad combat to enjoy the lore, MW is a better game. If you can tolerate the amusement park setting of Fallout 3, then FO3 is a better game.

Ash

Arcane
space insect said:
While Morrowind's quests could be pretty bland, I thought they fit in well with the faction that would be giving the quests. The thieves guild would have you actually stealing stuff and you'd get punished for killing people. The Temple would have you go on pilgrimages to shrines. While that was usually just walking somewhere, it made complete sense with the faction.

Yeah, given the vast amount of quests there was in MW they didn't do a bad job of making many interesting, but they could have been better most certainly.

Vault dweller said:
Sure, MW had a very coherent world but the gameplay was painful: awful combat and non-existing quest design.

In the context of those things alone Morrowind left a lot to be desired, but overall it had plenty memorable gameplay moments.

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Developer
No arguing here. For the record, I've never claimed that it's a good RPG or a good Fallout game. It was a good action RPG where you kill shit and do some quests to kill time.

Ash

Arcane
Yeah, FO3 isn't as bad as the codex says it is. It's Human Revolution levels of "good for what it is", so nothing special, but not utterly AAA braindead. Compared to modern day AAA "RPGs" it suddenly looks ever so slightly more appealing too, but it's still not a worthy Fallout Game or RPG. It gave birth to New Vegas though and I needed that in the face of all the decline.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
FO3 is a steaming pile of shit. It's painful to look at it, read/hear it and play it. FO-NV is just painful to look at and somewhat play it.
DXHR while not anything incredible, is decent all around, has some soul, and it actually tries to be a deus ex game, instead of FO3 which just tried to be Oblivion with guns.

Ash

Arcane
I disagree. They're (FO3 and HR) both as bad as eachother imo. HR tries to be a Metal Gear Solid game and drops the majority of the Immersive Sim's legendary design principles. That's not trying to be Deus Ex, it only partly does that. There's other things, like FO3 adapted FO's RPG systems relatively faithfully, while HR stripped DX's in half and made the aug system rediculously OP. Awful molepop features like the cover system and takedowns. Shits on lore just as much as FO3 shits on FO lore. It's not a Deus Ex game to me, more of a strange hybrid of a bunch of games including DX.

New Vegas on the other hand is worthy for a modern RPG and fixes much of the shit of FO3.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Repeating VD's statement here. Nobody is saying FO3 was not decline.

No arguing here. For the record, I've never claimed that it's a good RPG or a good Fallout game. It was a good action RPG where you kill shit and do some quests to kill time.

8 years from now: "Looking back, Fallout 4 was not decline".

Perhaps one day, FO4 will be argued to be more or less decline than Mankind Divided/Skyrim/whatever. My popamole is better than yours. The codex popamole wars II

everything is shitty or good for what it is at best these days.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom