Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Israfael

Arcane
I think mouse acceleration may actually depend on the mouse driver - if the game uses OS kind of mouse acceleration, then certain gaming mice (like Bloody series from A4Tech or probably all razor/steelseries/etc) will not be affected by it as their drivers forcibly disable it without even asking the user. If John Bain has such a mouse, then he won't notice it.

PS It's kinda funny to look at all graphix butthurt here and at some technical russian forums - people cry that gaem does not work at highest settings on their basically low end configurations and complain it has 2007 graphics. It seems everyone forgot how it was back in PC gaming golden age, when games like Crysis, Far Cry, Fear or even Doom 3 were buttfucking GPUs for several generations before they were able to run them smoothly. I remember playing FEAR on my X800 at 800x600 and enjoying 40fps while peasants on their 100-200$ GPUs had 10-20 fps

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Oh, he's not sensitive to it. :lol:
The biggest irony is that TotalBiscuit has a Steam Curator called "Framerate Police" - a valid cause - in which he and his fanbase trash people who don't care/can't notice the difference in framerates. One would think fucked up mouses controls would be the first thing an actual PC gamer would notice.

This is the ugly side of Steam's rise: post-console retards who don't know shit and get off to their fake elitism memes. I would be ok with it under normal circumstances. Afterall, the more the merrier, we all benefit from a bigger audience and all that.
The problem is that people like him and the hacks at PC Gamer, PCGamesN, etc are writing "port reviews" as if they have high standards and know what they're talking about.

The funny thing is that if I remember correctly, he had a video quite a while ago where he sad that he is always turning off mouse acceleration, because he hates it. So it is probably not true that he is not sensitive about it.

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
I think mouse acceleration may actually depend on the mouse driver - if the game uses OS kind of mouse acceleration, then certain gaming mice (like Bloody series from A4Tech or probably all razor/steelseries/etc) will not be affected by it as their drivers forcibly disable it without even asking the user. If John Bain has such a mouse, then he won't notice it.

PS It's kinda funny to look at all graphix butthurt here and at some technical russian forums - people cry that gaem does not work at highest settings on their basically low end configurations and complain it has 2007 graphics. It seems everyone forgot how it was back in PC gaming golden age, when games like Crysis, Far Cry, Fear or even Doom 3 were buttfucking GPUs for several generations before they were able to run them smoothly. I remember playing FEAR on my X800 at 800x600 and enjoying 40fps while peasants on their 100-200$ GPUs had 10-20 fps

The thing is, if you're willing to turn down a couple of settings - Contact Hardened Shadows and MSAA specifically - the game does seem to run quite well and still looks quite good. The ACTUAL technical problems are crashes and bugs, not the graphics settings.

There's some kind of mental illness that the nouveau riche PC gamers have, the ones who started high end PC gaming in like 2010-2013, where they think that they should be able to max every setting, regardless of what exactly "max" means. If they can't then the game is "unoptimised". PC ports got to a point around that era where you pretty much could buy a mid range graphics card and destroy most games coming out, with a few exceptions here and there (Crysis sequels, Metro games and such). It was a pretty unique situation in PC gaming, brought about by the excessively drawn out 7th generation of consoles refusing to die, while PC parts just kept advancing in the background. I remember the salty tears over ubersampling in Witcher 2 and the meltdowns people had over Shadow of Mordor when the game recommended 6GB for ultra textures. It's like, turning a setting down means it's time to upgrade. It means your card is shit, worthless.

Part of the problem is the failure of developers to really thoroughly test and communicate to people what their settings are intended for. A feature I don't see almost ever is actual text explanations for each setting given by the dev, along with associated things like "this setting is heavy on VRAM" or "This setting is CPU intensive". It's such a great feature when the game gives you a VRAM budget at the bottom of the settings screen and stuff like that, too.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
My full specs to run it at rock steady never drop 60 fps @ GTX 970 and Core i7 4790k

Game still looks very nice, not much difference from max ultra everything, really.

I also don't have a problem with mouse acceleration: I got a logitech G302 mouse, no drivers installed.
I put mouse sens in game at 6 %

No crashes anymore. Also update video drivers.

RES: 1920 X 1200p
MSAA: OFF
VSYNC: ON WITH Triple BUFFERING
TEXTURE: VERY HIGH
TEXTURE FILTERING: 4x ANISOTROPIC
SHADOWS: VERY HIGH
HARDENING SHADOWS: OFF
TEMPORAL ANTI-ALIASING: ON
MOTION BLUR: OFF
BLOOM: ON
VOLUMETRIC LIGHTING: ON
SUBSURFACE SCATTERING: ON
CLOTH PHYISCS: ON
AMBIENT OCCLUSION: ON
OCCULUSION MAPPING: ON
TESSELLATION: ON
REFLECTIONS: ON
SHARPEN:ON
DETAIL: VERY HIGH

Exclusive fullscreen: ON

I got FOV at 75 or 85.

If you have a worse card than a GTX 970 and worse than i7 4790k, Then lower texture and detail to high or medium. Also lower shadow detail to like HIGH, And perhaps take ambient occlusion off and sharpen. Or go OFF with texture filtering.

Also remember to close all other programs, dont leave browser in background n shit like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This game is going to some places...
NSFW

2AYM7U6VLTcwLbxxWJoAfGOjh5zLgVF-zv2AsvtXgj8.jpg

:neveraskedforthis:

Israfael

Arcane
There's some kind of mental illness that the nouveau riche PC gamers have, the ones who started high end PC gaming in like 2010-2013
I believe it has to do with the fact that PC gaming ceased to be the self-sufficient thing that develops mostly independently from the other platforms - the newer generations tend to compare the game releases with their console counterparts first (since 99% of the typical modern AAA are multiplat games), while before this most PC gamers (myself in this case) did not pay any attention to console games at all (never owned a console, never had any urge to buy it, PC games were quite enough till 2007-2008, when the decline went into full throttle). Well, and there's also the factor of these master race preachers like the above mentioned TB and the others, who were always crowing about 60fps paradise (why 60, i dont get, it's impossible to play most competitive shooters at their fullest at 60 fps, you need 100+ to do good rocket jumps and other tricks).

PS I'll wait till the free demo comes around, not gonna pay even 15$ (russian price) yet.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
There's some kind of mental illness that the nouveau riche PC gamers have, the ones who started high end PC gaming in like 2010-2013, where they think that they should be able to max every setting, regardless of what exactly "max" means. If they can't then the game is "unoptimised". PC ports got to a point around that era where you pretty much could buy a mid range graphics card and destroy most games coming out, with a few exceptions here and there (Crysis sequels, Metro games and such). It was a pretty unique situation in PC gaming, brought about by the excessively drawn out 7th generation of consoles refusing to die, while PC parts just kept advancing in the background. I remember the salty tears over ubersampling in Witcher 2 and the meltdowns people had over Shadow of Mordor when the game recommended 6GB for ultra textures. It's like, turning a setting down means it's time to upgrade. It means your card is shit, worthless.
Because the visual fidelity hasn't really scaled up nearly as much as the GPU prices have in the last 10 years.

When game runs acceptably on the phone hardware of consoles you expect that a setup so massively overkill should be able to greatly compensate the overhead present on PC if doing a decent port was a priority.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Look at optimizations of GTA V, battlefront, Battlefield, to name a few. Games that look absolutely next-gen smashing and runs on 3 year old hardware at very high / ultra quality.

THAT is how you do it. So yes, companies need to get better at optimization, AND people need to calm down about needing to MAX everything on their old hardware.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just found a pretty weird glitch. If you stay behind cover, save the game then reload, when you press Space to continue, Adam will dash out of his cover right at the moment the scene loads. Caught me off guard several times in Ruzicka mission.

Athos

Arcane
Most of the negative reviews seem to center around the PC port running like shit -- let's be honest; who is still shocked by this being the case?

I remember the PC version of Human Revolution being good. It was done by Nixxes, who also did the good port of the Tomb Raider reboot.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Most of the negative reviews seem to center around the PC port running like shit -- let's be honest; who is still shocked by this being the case?

I remember the PC version of Human Revolution being good. It was done by Nixxes, who also did the good port of the Tomb Raider reboot.

Lol? The PC version of HR being good? Are you on crack-cocaine dude? It was probably one of the most broken pieces of shit in a long time, worse than New Vegas almost ;)

Athos

Arcane

Lol? The PC version of HR being good? Are you on crack-cocaine dude? It was probably one of the most broken pieces of shit in a long time, worse than New Vegas almost ;)

Dunno man, it ran decently on my rusty toaster af a laptop, and I played a couple of weeks after release. Never had issues. Also I don't remember biblical lamentations about it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Daedalos is wrong as usual - the PC release of Human Revolution was considered one of the finest ports of its time, a time when many/most console-to-PC ports were considered horrible. It was likely a major factor behind the game's positive reception on sites like the Codex.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
The only big problem with HR PC port was its loading times. And it got fixed in the first week or so.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Performance isn't that bad, I run 60 fps with a 970x and i7 4970 at everything very high, msaa off, exlusive fullscreen, volumetric light on, hardned shadows off.

I like the game so far. Everything I expected from this.

With that kind of top end hardware you should be able to have more options turned up and better fps. Especially considering how average the game looks.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Performance isn't that bad, I run 60 fps with a 970x and i7 4970 at everything very high, msaa off, exlusive fullscreen, volumetric light on, hardned shadows off.

I like the game so far. Everything I expected from this.

With that kind of top end hardware you should be able to have more options turned up and better fps. Especially considering how average the game looks.

GTX 970 and core i7 4xxx is not really top end hardware anymore, tho. It's more like midrange, but still a powerful system. I will agree, that the optimization could certainly be better, but it's not terribad, and the game doesn't look average for me.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
GTX 970 and core i7 4xxx is not really top end hardware anymore, tho. It's more like midrange, but still a powerful system. I will agree, that the optimization could certainly be better, but it's not terribad, and the game doesn't look average for me.
As gamers we have a skewed perception of what is top end or mid-range.

For most people a 200 euros GPU is already quite an expensive investment, same for a cpu.

Considering the hardware these guys are working on in consoles...

The first game was actually quite smooth, dunno why, using same engine, the same studio couldn't manage to optimize it.

Latelistener

Arcane
The first game was actually quite smooth, dunno why, using same engine, the same studio couldn't manage to optimize it.
Human Revolution was built on Crystal Engine (Tomb Raider), and Mankind Divided is using Dawn Engine, a modified (by Eidos Montreal) version of Glacier Engine from the Hitman series.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
As gamers we have a skewed perception of what is top end or mid-range.

For most people a 200 euros GPU is already quite an expensive investment, same for a cpu.

Considering the hardware these guys are working on in consoles...

The first game also looked like shit, compared to this, so more heavy graphics require more power. I dunno if most people can't afford a 200 euro gpu+cpu, careful with generalizations. It largely depends on where in the world people buy stuff. If most of the core audience are slavs who are broke, then yeah, it should be a priority to optimize it to the fullest.

I guess sometimes devs don't wanna/can't spend time on optimization, because it caters to the lowest common denominator, and more pressing aspects of the game need to finish first, leaving it half-assed. It is even more weird tho, when it's another company porting the game from Square Enix.

It's same with devs who used Unity. Pretty much everybody knows how shitty an engine Unity is and how optimization fails in those games, yet the devs still chose this engine to make some pretty high budget games, but failing to make time for optimization.

Israfael

Arcane
There's low settings for such people, why cry about it? Why it has to be full ultra + msaa?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom