Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry 5

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
And by the way, do tell us how DMCV Gilgamesh fight is worse than this garbage:
Because DMC 5 came out fourteen years later and had the benefit of five prior games (and a ton of Platinum titles) to learn from.
>implying gilgamesh is worse than arkham
>implying the dev team worked on DMC5 for 14 years with unlimited budget
>implying platinum's big monster qte fest bosses are something worthy of imitation

you-dante.gif

Silverfish

Arbiter
>implying gilgamesh is worse than arkham
>implying the dev team worked on DMC5 for 14 years with unlimited budget
>implying platinum's big monster qte fest bosses are something worthy of imitation

1. Yes, easily.
2. and 3. I never implied either of those things. "14 years later" doesn't imply that they were working on the game for all that time, but that they've had time to reflect on what worked from previous entries and what didn't. And I never said anything about budget, don't know where you pulled that from. The same applies to my reference to Platinum. Itsutard had the benefit of years of DMC knockoffs to see what elements were worth pilfering. I never said "they should do qte bosses".

Ezekiel

Arcane
You know what? Devil May Cry 3 has better camerawork than 5. In big bosses and arenas, 5 excels, but when exploring it mostly uses the same closed-in orbital camera as every other modern game. Devil May Cry 3's scripted camera angles showed you more while leaving your thumb free for the face buttons.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Even much of the fighting now has that problem of very limited visibility that takes your thumb from the face buttons. Have no idea why anyone would prefer this over the old atmospheric cam.

Devil-May-Cry-5-2024-04-22-18-04-mp4-snapshot-00-20-2024-04-22-18-10-11.jpg

Ezekiel

Arcane
Yeah, definitely crappy while fighting in small to medium spaces. Camera shifts and rotates all over the place. If you wanted to put some environmental hazards in and the possibility to fall, you mostly couldn't because of that cam. Those big rotating gears that you fought on top of in Devil May Cry 3, impossible with the cam pictured above.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Not listening. Devil May Cry 3 used both the orbital and scripted cams, but it was balanced. So much atmosphere and scale, as well as function, gone.

unknown-2024-04-22-18-48-mp4-snapshot-00-33-2024-04-22-22-02-15.jpg

Devil-May-Cry-5-2024-04-22-18-16-1-mp4-snapshot-00-08-2024-04-22-22-00-45.jpg

deama

Prophet
Even much of the fighting now has that problem of very limited visibility that takes your thumb from the face buttons. Have no idea why anyone would prefer this over the old atmospheric cam.
For once they took insperation from mouse and keyboard, and if you used those, it would feel a lot better.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Why are you agreeing with your own post?
He does that
Though I partially have to agree with his point on the camera
They could've mantained DMC4 camera model - for most of the exploration the player gets scripted camera frames, but for combat it's manual camera

Even much of the fighting now has that problem of very limited visibility that takes your thumb from the face buttons.
For once they took insperation from mouse and keyboard, and if you used those, it would feel a lot better.
Yeah it's funny how this game plays so much better on kb+m compared to controller, as opposed with the previous games which kb+m was clearly the worst input device

Ezekiel

Arcane
Devil May Cry 3 allowed you to switch targets while moving. In Devil May Cry 4 and 5, you have to press the left stick straight down. You can no longer press it at an angle. Gay. Surprised I never noticed. Maybe the Steam versions are messed up, but I doubt it.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Crappy emulation, by the way. There's sometimes that crap at the top of the screen pictured above, the target icon isn't showing up anymore and many places are blurry as if light comes through a warped window or something. Considering getting the remastered trilogy, even with all the complaints about effects not carrying over.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom