Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Diablo III Accounts Hacked

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
There was a nice article about this on Forbes a few days ago :p
http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielnyegriffiths/2012/05/22/diablo-iii-hacking/
They are, this argument goes, at worst imaginary and at best lines of code, and, as the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals recently affirmed in the case of Sergey Aleynikov, code is not property.
The financial crisis is solved. Nobody actually lost anything. It was all just imaginary.

:lol:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
"DarkUnderlord", in the clan "Road Not Taken" [RNT]. Though I haven't played in a few days. I'm usually on for odd hours here and there. Maus, E-100. Working on arty (Tier 6 GW Panther is my best so far) and aiming to get E50 and American T110.

Which server though? I'm playing Tier 5-6 german mediums/TDs on EU, but I think we got a few 'dexers playing on the NA server too.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Big AAA companies don't want that, they want you to buy it and THEN find out it's crappy.
People might say that you can just return the game if you don't like it, but if you look at the numbers you will find out that just a small percentage of buyers do return the product. And big AAA companies know that.
Actually you have no right of return once you've opened the packaging (at least in Germany). Vendors might still take it back, but they're not required to. So unless you play a Demo that actually conveys what the game is about, you'll always buy the cat in the sack. Which is why I believe pirates who claim to only pirate stuff to try it (and later buy it, if they like it).
In Australia, technically, if you disagree with the EULA, you are entitled to a refund - no questions asked. And there's some question as to whether the EULA is even legally binding given it's a contract that you only get after you purchase the product.
Which is why many in Germany consider EULAs not to be worth wiping your ass with. Since the legally binding transaction takes place before you ever get to see the EULA. The EULA also cannot contain anything that's in violation of law.
Though I'm not sure anymore, how much of that is wishfull thinking by civil rights activists, and has been superceded by money creating facts and the Hamburg Court... :(

Kz3r0

Arcane
They are, this argument goes, at worst imaginary and at best lines of code, and, as the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals recently affirmed in the case of Sergey Aleynikov, code is not property.
Judge says:
"Nothing physical has been removed from an inventory."

I would have never thought to see the day that the Codex will inspire jurisprudence.

Gord

Arcane
Now, with the advent of glorious unbreakable always-online DRM and the notion that you're really only buying a subscription for a game-service that necessitates binding it to an account, not a physical copy of a game, it should follow by common sense that the customer can return* a game and/or chancel the subscription within a reasonable time-frame for a refund.

Of course that's not what publishers would like to happen.

*Be it due to not agreeing with the EULA, not being able to run the game due to bugs, false advertising (admittedly tricky), etc.

Nostradumbass

Scholar
What's special is that there is apparently some kind of exploit that allows someone to log into your last-played character simply by capturing a session ID acquired by playing a co-op game with the victim. No password needed. Or so the story goes. I have no idea if that's what is really happening, but it seems as though the hacking is done via an exploit and not simply by stealing the user's password.

yeah, no, that's not true. blizz confirmed there was nothing to suggest this had happened, and the rumor was started by some random idiot without any proof. shit like this happens in any popular mmo if the user doesnt add two way protection. people should get a goddamn authenticator and this shit wouldnt happen. no one with an authenticator has been hacked. theres been a few who claimed they have, but i call bullshit.

Nostradumbass

Scholar
What's special is that there is apparently some kind of exploit that allows someone to log into your last-played character simply by capturing a session ID acquired by playing a co-op game with the victim. No password needed. Or so the story goes. I have no idea if that's what is really happening, but it seems as though the hacking is done via an exploit and not simply by stealing the user's password.

yeah, no, that's not true. blizz confirmed there was nothing to suggest this had happened, and the rumor was started by some random idiot without any proof. shit like this happens in any popular mmo if the user doesnt add two way protection. people should get a goddamn authenticator and this shit wouldnt happen. no one with an authenticator has been hacked. theres been a few who claimed they have, but i call bullshit.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...rs-s-korea-demand-refund-over-server-lag.html
The highly celebrated launch of online game Diablo 3 is rapidly turning into a consumer nightmare as thousands of users are demanding refund over server lags.​

South Korea's Fair Trade Commission official said Wednesday it has received between 111 and 175 Diablo 3-related complaints per day in the past few days, according to news reports. The official added that the average number complaints received every day is about 150.
The Fair Trade Commission vowed it will "look into the situation," but did not elaborate.​

Reportedly, most of the discontent consumers were furious over excessive time it took them to log on to the game.​

"Error 3003 has been slapping me in the face nightly. ... Fix this fast or I will not be buying any new products from Blizzard," warned one user on Diablo 3's online page.​

The wildly popular action RPG game by Blizzard Entertainment has garnered huge popularity upon its release last week, but its success is taking a toll as too many users are causing server maintenance problems.​

In just a week, over 3,000 internet users have signed an online petition in Daum's Agora forum, demanding refunds over server problems.
Blizzard vowed to take measures against the problem, but did not present any specific measures on refund demands.​

Last week, the company said in an official statement that its preparation for the launch of the game "did not go far enough," an apologetic gesture in reaction to the downpour of complaints from consumers.​

Godamn entitled Korean gamers, they expect to be able to play their game lag free.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

So 2 days ago, I saw a guy log in with his goddamn authenticator dongle and play for ~2 hours. He then logged out and we went to grab a goddamn bite to eat. When we came back someone had grabbed his goddamn account and begun selling his goddamn loot.

Call bullshit all you like. I saw this happen right in front of me, with my own goddamn eyes. The goddamn authenticator you goddamn love so much is goddamn useless, goddamn blizzard apologist.

Dexter

Arcane
Godamn entitled Korean gamers, they expect to be able to play their game lag free.

They're just playing this shit while they're waiting for this to be released anyway:

Diablo ain't and never was an MMO bro.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
So 2 days ago, I saw a guy log in with his goddamn authenticator dongle and play for ~2 hours. He then logged out and we went to grab a goddamn bite to eat. When we came back someone had grabbed his goddamn account and begun selling his goddamn loot.
Ahhhh yes... But was his goddamn dongle set to goddamn require a goddamn number every goddamn time he logged in? Or was it just every goddamn week?

Whichever way you answer doesn't matter though as clearly you are a pirate set to infiltrate us with your lies about dongles being hacked!

By the way, has your friend made an official complaint to Blizzard about it? I'd love to see what their response is.

Also, I liked this part of the thread on reddit. Guy gets hacked, no keylogger found.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Ahhhh yes... But was his goddamn dongle set to goddamn require a goddamn number every goddamn time he logged in? Or was it just every goddamn week?

Goddamn. I forgot to ask my goddamn friend what his goddamn settings were. I'll ask him when I goddamn get around to it.

Nostradumbass

Scholar

Call bullshit all you like. I saw this happen right in front of me, with my own goddamn eyes. The goddamn authenticator you goddamn love so much is goddamn useless, goddamn blizzard apologist.

y u lie?

Dexter

Arcane
Btw. it's up to 5 "journos" getting hacked now:
Examiner: http://www.examiner.com/article/accounts-on-diablo-3-hacked
EuroGamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-21-diablo-3-accounts-hacked-gold-and-items-stolen
PC Gamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/22/d...tolen-real-money-auction-house-due-next-week/
Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/05/30/the-horror-of-being-hacked-in-diablo-3/
Ars Technica: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/05/my-brief-life-as-a-diablo-iii-hacking-victim/
Reading some of the comments, especially for instance on that Forbes article makes me either want to kill myself or everyone else, it's like a swarm of diseased brainwashed locusts descending from their pit of scum and villainy to spread the word of the prophet destroying everything in their path or something...
The worst thing, it seems to even be spreading into these secluded waters if one for instance visits that other thread in the "General RPG" section...

Oh, by the way according to this article the South Korean FTC is investigating/probing Blizzard now over allegations made after raiding their offices Monday: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2012/05/123_111971.html

The government has launched an investigation into Blizzard Entertainment over allegations that the American computer gamemaker has refused to refund Koreans who purchased its latest real-time role-playing game Diablo 3.

The Fair Trade Commission (FTC) said the firm is suspected of having violated the country’s law on electronic commerce and commercial contracts. The FTC said Tuesday that it raided the firm’s Seoul office Monday and secured related documents and other evidence with which it will determine whether Blizzard broke the law.

The investigation comes only two weeks after the release of the game, which has sold more than 6.3 million copies worldwide.
Larger-than-expected traffic to the online game’s severs made it extremely difficult for its users to access the game, particularly on weekday nights and weekends, according to Blizzard Korea.

Some buyers of the game vented frustration over server shutdowns and asked for refunds, but the company refused to do so, citing sales contract terms, which the FTC says is disadvantageous to consumers.

Blizzard said it doubled the capacity of servers Friday and pledged to improve services further in order to prevent a recurrence of the problem.

Despite the move, major portals have already been receiving messages denouncing Blizzard’s poor service. Hundreds of users have filed formal complaints with the FTC, calling for an investigation by the regulator.

“We have received many complaints from Diablo 3 users,” said Kim Hyung-bae, a spokesman for the FTC. He admitted that an investigation into Blizzard is underway, but refused to elaborate.

Other FTC officials said the probe is aimed at confirming whether the firm has sold the game based on what they describe as an “unfair” contract so that people cannot receive refunds even if they discover problems with the game. They said they are studying whether the company should be held liable for “ill-preparation” for unexpected traffic.

It’s too early to see any results of the probe but some investigators expect the regulator to issue an order mandating Blizzard to provide a full refund to all unhappy customers.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Things must be pretty tense at Blizzard HQ right now. I'm sure they're trying to deny the problem in order to keep sales strong, then after they hopefully patch the exploit they can pretend it was never there. This has the potential to blow up in their face spectacularly if they mess things up though.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Btw. it's up to 5 "journos" getting hacked now:

Being a game journalist doesn't mean you're all that good at computer security. Blizzard isn't responsible for the user being an idiot and not using a cheap $6 authenticator (they'll even ship it to you!) to protect themselves.

You don't blame the brothel for not giving you a condom if you get an STD from their service, do you!?

The Koreans are just butthurt over the old Starcraft / Starcraft 2 power struggle, where they wanted to make money off Starcraft leagues without paying Blizzard a dime. The corruption over there is so rampant that it's no surprise their FTC is 'investigating' Blizzard. Best to leave the Asian grinders and gold farmers to their own shitty games.
:thumbsup:

Shannow

Waster of Time
While we've already talked about how the consumer gets fucked by both, always online and no legal way to get a refund for crappy games, I must say I find asking for a refund because of standing in queue for a while a little strange. Now I have no specific info - and perhaps some people weren't aware it was always online or first-hand experience quickly converted them to the light side - but simply having a few connection issues in the first week, that one can be reasonably sure will be ironed in the near future, doesn't seem like big enough an issue (if one was prepared to put up with all the rest anyway) to seriously want a refund.
Seems like a few bellicose guys' demands blown out of proportion to make it newsworthy.

EDIT: LOL treave

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The point is that they refused to refund them. Their reasons might have been "frivolous", but you should be able to return it, no questions asked, if you live in a civilized country.
Of course, Blizztards (like treave there) won't understand that ever, because Blizzard is the best and every time it's the user's fault.

You don't blame the brothel for not giving you a condom if you get an STD from their service, do you!?

Jesus, fuck, what a fucking retard. So, you just know it's not Blizzard's fault, huh? Or you think that even if it is, the user is still responsible?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Someone should make a list of all the Blizzard apologists, so that we can point and laugh once the nature of the exploit is revealed. :)

Dexter

Arcane
Being a game journalist doesn't mean you're all that good at computer security.
No, but it gives them reach to report on the issue to more people and at least somewhat more credibility than your basic Diablo III forum post...

Blizzard isn't responsible for the user being an idiot and not using a cheap $6 authenticator (they'll even ship it to you!) to protect themselves.

The Koreans are just butthurt over the old Starcraft / Starcraft 2 power struggle, where they wanted to make money off Starcraft leagues without paying Blizzard a dime. The corruption over there is so rampant that it's no surprise their FTC is 'investigating' Blizzard. Best to leave the Asian grinders and gold farmers to their own shitty games.

Other than that, let me sum up your post:

schatzzzzz-cb57565.jpg

Of course Blizzard can't be responsible over decisions like making the game Always-Online, removing SinglePlayer entirely and introducing things like the RMAH making it a prime target for everyone and their dog to attempt to "profit" from it, all the while failing to handle their shit (both regarding uptime and account security) for two weeks despite hosting the most popular MMO out there, after all they got their money already! Where the fuck would we be?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Seems like a few bellicose guys' demands blown out of proportion to make it newsworthy.

Actually, I could believe that's really the case. Asians tend to take their online gaming very seriously, and unlike over in the West there is usually no equivalent-sized fanboy army willing to defend the company. If you're familiar with the concept of the Asian Tiger Mom, keep that in mind... now take their tenacity for their child to do well and convert it into a lust to play the shit out of a particular game, 24/7, and you have your hardcore Asian MMO addict.

This is the region of the world where MMO playing is heavily regulated and tabbed by the government so that people don't die of it, after all.

Gord

Arcane
So, being hacked is now also the users fault because he didn't spend more money on additional security measures?
Never mind that their shitty password system isn't even case-sensitive.

1. Make overhyped, DRM-ridden moneysink, but provide shitty account security
2. Make customers pay for additional security
3. PROFIT!!!

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Jesus, fuck, what a fucking retard. So, you just know it's not Blizzard's fault, huh? Or you think that even if it is, the user is still responsible?

A brothel doesn't sign an agreement that assures you all of their prostitutes have a clean bill of health and you'll never get syphilis from them.

Just saying, when you bruise someone's uterus, it's up to you to use an authenticator to protect yourself.

Of course Blizzard can't be responsible over decisions like making the game Always-Online, removing SinglePlayer entirely and introducing things like the RMAH making it a prime target for everyone and their dog to attempt to "profit" from it, all the while failing to handle their shit (both regarding uptime and account security) for two weeks despite hosting the most popular MMO out there, after all they got their money already! Where the fuck would we be?

Well, there's absolutely no proof that their account security is weak. Everyone is only passing around anecdotal evidence... why, if they have proof of an exploit on Blizzard's server or database why not demonstrate it?

Some of the Diablo 3 posters say they actually work in IT security for a living, man. They know what they're talking about. And when they tell you you have a keylogger infestation even though multiple scans by Malwarebytes finds nothing, you have one.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Some of the Diablo 3 posters say they actually work in IT security for a living, man. They know what they're talking about. And when they tell you you have a keylogger infestation even though multiple scans by Malwarebytes finds nothing, you have one.

This is retarded even if you say in a serious manner or a sarcastic one. It's rare that such a thing is possible, but you made it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom