Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

ArchAngel

Arcane
I played Druid for a little while, I just spammed Lightning Storm. Easy. The animal skills seemed lame.
All works vs standard enemies on WT 2, some magic monsters take a bit more effort. But I went to do the girl's mother battle in Act 1 where she spawns 5 female demons that run away from you and one big one and trying to hit stuff in melee to gather spirit means they do more damage to you then you to them lol. And no leech, werewolf scream is only 20% heal every 20s and those healing potion orbs only drop when you kill one of them.. not doable on this crappy druid on WT 2. Even on WT 1 I almost died 2 times in that crappy fight. I remember that fight from beta, it was same crap and every melee character complained, druid players 2x as much and nothing really changed lol

So far Last Epoch Druid is stronger and more fun.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ok, I've finally finished the campaign and it was fun. It plays more like a standard RPG than aRPG.
They did fuck up with Donan's death, otherwise other main plot points were OK. They even learned from shitty D3 and didn't put young girl as main character..
I like how characters notice how you are able to defeat lesser evils and consider you as plan B vs Lilith. Still nobody tries to explain why you are able to. I guess we will need to stick with Nephilim explanation from D3 or maybe due to multiple Mephisto blessings you receive during the game. I hope in expansion he takes them away and you need to promise your head to the Tree of Whispers to gain new power.

I've done a bunch of sidequests, read stuff in the game, immersed myself in world building part and it is good for such a game. There is a bunch of multipart quests with characters, it is only missing choice and consequence parts and this could be a full blown RPG. There is a lot of attention to details here and VA is between decent and good.
As far as single player campaign part goes this is best one out of all Diablo likes since Diablo 1.

Gameplay is something else. The whole gather resource, spend resource gameplay is irritating. Using skills that are off cooldown and spender skills feels good but then you run out of everything and stuff is on cooldown and you run around for 5+ s only having basic attack that is pathetic even vs standard enemies.. I've kitted myself in legendaries, got access to paragon board and started dabbling in season 3 content but I am still dependant on two cooldown based skills to fill my Spirit to not run out of it during combat just to avoid using basic skill to fill Spirit.
As a result character building is suffering, I am basically forced to use these skills instead of experimenting with other more fun combinations..

As for endgame, I am yet to try it for real. I've reached WT3, got a sacred weapon so my DPS is now comparable and tried super buggy ToW quest and a bit of season content and done a few Helltides. Helltides seem most fun but not sure how long that will last.
I am yet to try Nightmare Dungeons, I expect that is like normal ones but harder.
Funny shit, fights against Elite packs in D4 are often what PoE devs wanted but were never able to do. You cannot kill them in few seconds and you need to dodge and sometimes even take out healers or other support units first but also they do not take you out fast if they are able to hit you. And you also do not find yourself not being able to kill one because it spawned with fire resist and regeneration on map with mod that blocks ignites 65% of the time on your ignite build..

Compared to lets say D2 I do not have an urge to make at least one character per class to try them all out, mostly because I know all of them play the same. You run out of main resource and need to use same weak basic attack and your are dependant on long cooldowns. Camera is too low for all characters and there is no real ranged play, in the end I expect they are all same characters but shoot different colored skills.

So far I would give the game 8/10 but as RPG parts are basically done and only weak aRPG parts are left I expect the score to drop.

abija

Prophet
They don't play the same. There aren't enough skills so you get done quite fast with each class, but the classes are quite distinctive in how they play. Considering all your complaints if you tried a melee rogue and compared it with your druid experience you would get quite mad :D

Hell Swarm

Educated
How long does the main campaign take and how much grinding can you expect from the loot drops to get enough equipment to beat the last boss reasonably

motherfucker

Educated
How long does the main campaign take and how much grinding can you expect from the loot drops to get enough equipment to beat the last boss reasonably
Campaign takes 20-ish hours I would say? then you gotta grind renown for bonuses(do sidequests and such). No grinding required, you can beat the campaign using whatever you find along the way. Grinding and actual challenge are in the endgame.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Campaign takes 20-ish hours I would say? then you gotta grind renown for bonuses(do sidequests and such). No grinding required, you can beat the campaign using whatever you find along the way. Grinding and actual challenge are in the endgame.
On World Tier 1 you can do whatever, on WT2 you will need to have a build and at least some attempt at having decent items (at least get some legendary affixes that help your skills).

ArchAngel

Arcane
I've gotten to lvl66 now in WT3, trying everything game has to offer (even PvP zones but without other players :D). "Endgame" is goal-less and pointless unless you just want to get to 100. This is almost worse than Last Epoch where it also felt kind of pointless but also maps are worse than D4 ones.
Maybe only goal I could set myself is get my character to not need basic attack to fill spirit.. and I got a paragon board that gives me extra spirit and recovery and legendary affixes that give extra spirit recovery but nothing helps.
From guides there are unique items that help with it but cba to farm for that shit to beat this terrible design.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Just play path of exile (it's better) :smug:
I have.. since closed beta. I've played it too much. Campaign is still worse in PoE. But during endgame you feel like you have a goal better than what D4 does.
D4 campaign is terrible. In most quests half the time you are just going to the quest objective that is in random place without any structure. What I mean is starting at town then you are sent to a place at the corner of the map, then you need to interact with something and go to another location that is on the opposite side of the region (later quests are even ping-ponging you around different zones too). You also don't really want to kill anything along the way as level scaling makes it pointless to do. Another terrible aspect is scripted unskippable dialog that drags too long.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Just play path of exile (it's better) :smug:
I have.. since closed beta. I've played it too much. Campaign is still worse in PoE. But during endgame you feel like you have a goal better than what D4 does.
D4 campaign is terrible. In most quests half the time you are just going to the quest objective that is in random place without any structure. What I mean is starting at town then you are sent to a place at the corner of the map, then you need to interact with something and go to another location that is on the opposite side of the region (later quests are even ping-ponging you around different zones too). You also don't really want to kill anything along the way as level scaling makes it pointless to do. Another terrible aspect is scripted unskippable dialog that drags too long.
That depends if you are playing it as a RPG with cool cinematics and passable conversations or you are playing it as a Diablo like where all you want to do it finish and level up so you can play endgame.
By your comments you were playing it as 2nd options when it is designed to be played as 1st one.

I would be kind of like playing C&C games campaign as practice for MP afterwards. So you skip all movie parts and complain about all missions with no base as those do not exist in MP later.

ArchAngel

Arcane

motherfucker

Educated
You also don't really want to kill anything along the way as level scaling makes it pointless to do.
Bro what? During the campaign, areas are set to a certain level so if you don't level you'll eventually start getting your shit kicked in. You never played past the first two acts, did you?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom