Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Did Warcraft III suck?

Ladders & Snakes

Educated
I think: yes.

Liked the first three campaigns.

Recently I've tried to replay it.

It's not very good.

It's half-assed RTS + half-assed RPG.

Popamole :salute:

racofer

Thread Incliner
I agree. I wanted Arthas to romance Jaina but that option doesn't exist. Hell, there are not even nude mods, ffs! Therefore, as a RPG it sucks bad.

And it was real time, which sucks for RTS games. I prefer turn based so yea, it sucks as a RTS as well.

ps: wouldn't you want to romance Jaina too? I mean, look at her:

68fuqs.jpg

rape heavanz!

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Sylvanas is hotter. Plus she can incorporate in different bodies. Everyday a new romance!

I had fun with the ROC campaign, never finished TFT. The best thing about WCIII is the huge amount of custom maps, including the famous DotA.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Yes, It did. It had banalshitboring art design, units had WAY too much hp, hero customisation was a distastefull joke and the plot was derpy and lore-raping beyond belief. Oh, and it didn't have naval units.

Ladders & Snakes

Educated
Black_Willow said:
Yes, It did. It had banalshitboring art design, units had WAY too much hp, hero customisation was a distastefull joke and the plot was derpy and lore-raping beyond belief. Oh, and it didn't have naval units.

I agree...

"Frozen Throne" was even worse. Suddenly everyone seems to appear in the story, other planets, those sea creatures, two undead factions, carnage elfs or whatever...

Kawaii Theurgist

Liturgist
I did enjoy it quite a lot, and had an insane amount of fun playing through the campaigns on the hardest setting.

And both the goblin heroes and that weird extra campaign for the Horde they did add with the patches where pretty cute.

Also, Pandaren Brewmaster.

:love:

Erebus

Arcane
I replayed Warcraft III recently and I still like it. Sure, the writing, story and characters are nothing special, but they're just fine for a strategy game (and way better than the crap you can find in Starcraft 2).

The missions are entertaining and diverse, which is what's important.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Hero units fucked it all up. Some of the custom games were pretty decent though. Really liked the Vampire Hunter mod and Angel Arena was funny as fuck sometimes, but that belonged to the category of "whoever had the fastest computer and picked the most OP champ first wins" of custom game that plagued WC3.
Campaign blows though. I had to play all the other shit races just to be able to play Orcs? Fuck that noise.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Fuck all a y'all who're bitching about the campaign, WC3's relatively powerful editor alone justified the purchase!

Because of it, there were always tons of fun custom maps to play. Sort of sucks that once DOTA came along at least half the games going at any one time were that shitpile.

SP had both good campaign variety and decently challenging missions. Expansion had a tremendous amount of :retarded: though, being nothing more than a setup to WoW and 2/3rds of the maps being crappy dungeons or poor ripoffs of custom maps. The few actual RTS missions in TFT were mostly on the good side though (TFT unnerfs the ridiculously low unit cap so it is only painfully low, meaning you have at least mid-size battles when capped out).

Never really got a chance to play MP, didn't have an internet connection until well after TFT. From what I could tell from skirmish the standard MP was pretty shitty and custom maps were either horrible or DOTA (read: worse than horrible).

Fairly mediocre overall, WC3 and TFT straddle the midpoint of the decline between WC2/SC and WOW/SC2.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
I played dota and other custom maps recently and I didn't like it, especially the item system

never played through the first part of the original campaign though

catfood

AGAIN
Campaigns and custom maps: awesome! I spent countless hours online playing custom maps. It's probably my most played RTS to date, and I've played a few. Too bad most of the maps didn't have much in common with, you know, the core aspect of the game, which is building a base, gathering resrouces and building units.
Skirmish: killitwithfire.gif
WC3 skirmish is one of the worst I've ever seen. The heroes are so completely imbalanced it's not even funny. Why is there even an option of getting anything other than a BM, DK, DH etc.? Not playing with those is suicide unless you know you're playing against someone with a much lower skill than you.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The biggest problem with Warcraft III, aside from its silly storyline and hammy writing (which is arguably more down to personal preference), at least for me, was its extreme focus on micro-management. Okay, so it may not quite be high-level StarCraft play, but so much of Warcraft III felt to me not so much about building the right units, build order, managing resources etc., but rather all about who can click fastest, who can polymorph the most enemies, etc.

If anything it brings out the inherent limitations of the RTS genre: if you have a game that relies less on things like planning and, you know, strategy, and more on tactics, then the real-time component of the game can serve as a detriment to playability but all but the most Korean of players. It's this that also turns me off of StarCraft, and draws me more towards Command & Conquer (which, to be fair, suffers from tank rushing etc.), Total Annihilation, Company of Heroes and Dawn of War (which make up for the micro requirement by downplaying other gameplay components and keeping things simple), as well as turn-based titles like Heroes and Civilization. For me, an RTS can be fast and exciting, but when success comes down more to reflexes, ping times, and whether your allies are stupid or not, it's crossed a threshold that I'm not really willing to go beyond.

Admittedly, I did have fun with Warcraft III. There were some damn good custom games, including thousands of tower and hero defense maps, DotA, silly mini-game collections like Uther Party, etc., and for what it was, the campaign was pretty enjoyable. But the strength of that game is in its community and custom games, not in any brilliant mechanics.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Warcraft III was awesome, I played it hundreds of hours online (SP sucked). I'd continue to play it today if it had players online, but now there's a few of them only.

Though this thread made me want to reinstall it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom