Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diluvian Ultra - Weird SF Boomer Shooter

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Please elaborate. without all the jerking sessions to shelly's feet clouding your judgement. Maybe I'll play it through in full.

Duke 3D, Shadow Warrior and Blood are among my absolute favorites, are very high quality and innovative games, and I have little faith in modern devs so I am not hopeful.
You can't even see Shelly's feet in the game :M

I like how unlike the original Build trilogy, it has no hitscanners. Bullet weapons shoot very fast projectiles rather than being hitscanners, both your own guns and the enemies', which I like because I despite hitscanners. Weapons are pretty fun to use.

Level design is good throughout. You'll get to visit different environments, some are pretty open, some are more corridor-heavy. The open ones were my favorite. There's also some clever use of Build engine tricks to get rooms over rooms etc.

HROT is the only other throwback FPS I have any real regard for but it's similarly not really trying to emulate 90s design philosophies, it's just doing something quite bizarre.
Yeah I finished HROT recently and found it surprisingly good. It's very brown, but the visuals work. The pistol and SMG feel more limp than slapping someone with a wet towel, but the shotguns and explosives are fun.

Level design and enemy variety are quite creative, the game keeps throwing surprises at you. It's just lovingly crafted overall.

And the dev coded the engine himself, big respect for that.

Strig

Learned
I actually strongly dislike the level approach in Ion Fury, there was nothing wrong with the tight level design of the original Build games but developers and modders alike seem to not understand that more is not always better and that the ideal 2.5D shooter map size is beaten within minutes, after which you move on to the next one.
I had a different problem with the levels in Ion Fury. I don't as much dislike their size as the fact they get very samey. The game blows its load prematurely and almost all the good ones are near the beginning. With those set in the streets of a cyberpunk metropolis being the obvious highlights.

Ion Fury also has the problem of not having a trashy film genre to steal material from, Duke Nukem was a homage to action flicks, Blood to horror, Shadow Warrior to all the martial arts films. What was Ion Fury a homage to?
Yeah, it is all quite uninspired. And it's not even that there's nothing to pay homage anymore. Why didn't they just raid the old cyberpunk movies for ideas is anyone's guess. Imagine levels or at least locations inspired directly by Fortress (the one with Lambert), Split Second (with Rutger Hauer), Hardware, Robocop, Escape from New York, hell throw in there something from Blade Runner and Johnny Mnemonic.

Redneck Rampage
I love the idea of Redneck Rampage, I really do. I remember having a lot of fun with it as a kid. But it's definitely very flawed. Nowhere near the level of bork in NAM though.

I like how unlike the original Build trilogy, it has no hitscanners. Bullet weapons shoot very fast projectiles rather than being hitscanners, both your own guns and the enemies', which I like because I despite hitscanners.
Hitscanners, despite being only 13% of the enemies, are responsible for 50% of aggravating deaths.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom