Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Distant Worlds 2 - RTwP 4x space strategy sequel

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Released.
Is the 1st one worth playing or should I wait opinions about this new one?

Well according to the experts DW 1 is the third best space 4X game, ever.
I personally loved DW 1 and think it's worthwhile to play even today. But it does have some issues in the lategame with fleet management (you can outsource this and every other aspect to AI control if it becomes too much but the fleet management AI is not very efficient IMHO).

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Released.
Is the 1st one worth playing or should I wait opinions about this new one?

Well according to the experts DW 1 is the third best space 4X game, ever.
I personally loved DW 1 and think it's worthwhile to play even today. But it does have some issues in the lategame with fleet management (you can outsource this and every other aspect to AI control if it becomes too much but the fleet management AI is not very efficient IMHO).
Thanks.
I'm going to take advantage of this ongoing 90% off sale of it then and keep tabs on sequel.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
It's brutal, very poor at audio-video level, but it's enjoyable. Stay away if you are casual and no autistic. Only for dedicated fans of electronic masochism. If you are brave go try it and sink, other way stay with Stellaris like.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
It's brutal, very poor at audio-video level, but it's enjoyable. Stay away if you are casual and no autistic. Only for dedicated fans of electronic masochism. If you are brave go try it and sink, other way stay with Stellaris like.
And is it a major improvement on DW 1 or a minor improvement?

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
Having problems with display. Didn't bother to get into it much, but I wonder whether it was worth going 3D.

Beowulf

Arcane
Having problems with display. Didn't bother to get into it much, but I wonder whether it was worth going 3D.
They ditched the planet movement when they went with 3D ...

Apart from that it seems like good old DWU, but running way smoother.

potatojohn

Arcane
Why is the UI so bad? I mean basic stuff like widgets and fonts and responsiveness.

And there's no tutorial?

Mortmal

Arcane
Why is the UI so bad? I mean basic stuff like widgets and fonts and responsiveness.

And there's no tutorial?
There's guided tours and a whole printed manual . So far its exactly like distant world and not running into any issues.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
eurasian.jpg

Orald

Novice
I played a few hours yesterday and am favorably impressed. Though I have experienced some crashes the new patch “seems” to have addressed the issue.

The font on DW:U was too small for me, that is not an issue for me with DW2.

I did the tours, looked over the manual then watched some of DasTactic’s primer, so a bit of a time investment but I don’t think that this is as complicated a game as I first thought.

I've been happy with it so far. It's just DWU, really. I like some of the changes that were made to things like research and colonisation. I haven't read what all of the new additions actually are so I don't quite know what else is different yet.

My only gripe is that the UI is very "paradox"-ified. Everything is done in the little side menus instead of the original game's big fullscreen spreadsheets. At least nothing has been lost mechanically, so all of the old depth is still there.

Beowulf

Arcane
The longer I play, the more crashes I get. And from speaking with my buddies I know that they are also affected by crashes. A lot.
A pity, should have kept the game in beta for longer.
Some settings also got overwrought somehow and reset to defaults (might be the update, but who knows).
I was a big fan of DWU and I mostly like the changes (however the static systems are a tad disappointing), but the game seems to have been released in rather poor technical state.

Mortmal

Arcane
Lot of crashes too mid and end game , and you need to disable AMD features to make it works, games is really janky and unbaked.

Plenty of exploits , for exemple when you enter a war you only have the option to end it, nothing to negotiate, no gains except what you already took . However you can offer to end war while negotiating with a completely different empire not invovled in the war, and the price to end war is absurdly high , you just exchange that agaisnt all their techs and the mining stations they are selling...Then you can use spy to steal tech super easily.

Game punish you heavily for not automating , you will become mad if you dont. Fleets take so much time to move , refuel and invade ,you just better automate and forget about it , just clicking on the advisor attack sugggestion. If you think you will pick one or two and do it manually , the ships will enter in combat one by one, or not at all,sometime getting stuck, sometimes not jumping, sometimes getting low on fuel without apparent reasons .

I tried to fullfill human empire campaign goals and get the most defensive pacts ever . Never managed to get a single one of them despite civs being euphoric towards my empire , having the ancient governement type, having the diplomacy researched.

Mortmal

Arcane
that feels like the description of a pretty horrible game.
It could become good right now, not so much.
Start as pre warp, you will have nothing to do at all for a good 15 min. Then when you can get a few shitty explorer ships warping out , it's like a very slow paced stellaris but with better economics and plenty of little ships flying around . However i have not noticed scarcity of any ressources , nothing forcing me to be agressive nor make chocies over ship builds , heck i see no reason to fine tune the ship designs. Point of DW2 was to be written in 64 bits, be faster and efficient, its not .
Hardly need of any player input you play the role of the old and senile admiral Hurrr durr , and sometime agitate a little bell for someone to change your diapers .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom