Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

dryan

Arcane
I got it from my friend Anakata.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
NPC schedules, day/night cycles, and weather systems were promised at $1 million. They reached $944,282. Swen said he would do the $1 million stretch goal as a favor.
I'm reasonably certain they said they met the goal with Paypal donations.

Regardless, they said they would include things, and they didn't include them, resulting in a lot of disappointment on their forums. With Steam Early Access, they're not trying to get people to donate more money in exchange for more features, removing that source of disappointment.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Athelas

Arcane
I don't see why it would be a surprise they would skip Kickstarter for a future project. They 'only' got 900k, despite showing off an impressive game that was already working, which is far less than the other major Kickstarter RPG's got which only had promises to show and nothing else. Of course, they might get more now that D:OS turned out a success, but it seems you have to use an established brand to achieve multi-million funding from Kickstarter.

EDIT: Woops, this post was intended for the topic about the Gamespot interview with Sven.

Last edited:

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
But they are way more established at this point.

It's just that KS is basically not worth it for them at this point: we know that they are very unhappy with how physical tiers turned out, they were hugely disorganised and it could've drained a stupid amount of resources to send multiple packages to everyone. With the digital tiers I doubt they got more than selling the game directly as the $40 tier already had two copies of the game and $65 tier came with Dragon Commander cannibalizing its sales.

Now that they have more than enough money to do whatever they want they will focus on short term projects like console port shenanigans as well as an expansion pack and then just make another game, fully funded by D:OS' sales. They will get the most out of sales of this next big thing by not allowing people to buy the game ahead of time for half the price.

Weasel
I don't see why it would be a surprise they would skip Kickstarter for a future project. They 'only' got 900k, despite showing off an impressive game that was already working, which is far less than the other major Kickstarter RPG's got which only had promises to show and nothing else.
Before D:OS was released I recall comments from Swen that they would definitely be keen to use kickstarter again, but in his most recent interview he seems to have changed his mind and states that other projects now need the "investment" more. It could be that now they have plenty of funds they just don't want the hassle of a kickstarter campaign and rewards, but he still seems to want the whole community engagement aspect of it. I think he realises, though, that after the huge success of D:OS they wouldn't be able to do another "we really need your support to make this game better" kickstarter pitch like the D:OS one.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
NPC schedules, day/night cycles, and weather systems were promised at $1 million. They reached $944,282. Swen said he would do the $1 million stretch goal as a favor.

Yep. A bit alarming how many people forget that: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ckstarter-closes-all-stretch-goals-met.82620/

THIS IS HOW HISTORY IS REWRITTEN
A) KS stretchgoals are KS stretchgoals. Not KS + Paypal + other random donations.
2) As Chaotic_Heretic said $944,282 + $37,256 (Paypal) = $981,538. Add in the $15k from Codex and you get $966,538.

Learn to math. HOW HISTORY IS REWRITTEN indeed by inaccurate newsposts.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yep. A bit alarming how many people forget that: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ckstarter-closes-all-stretch-goals-met.82620/

A) KS stretchgoals are KS stretchgoals. Not KS + Paypal + other random donations.
2) As Chaotic_Heretic said $944,282 + $37,256 (Paypal) = $981,538. Add in the $15k from Codex and you get $966,538.

Their Kickstarter update said that they reached the one million dollar stretch goal. It did not say "we didn't reach one million but we're throwing in the NPC schedules anyway".

And the update after that said: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin/posts/466642/

together with paypal contributions and the fundraisers from RPGCodex & RPGWatch we went over 1MUS$

Last edited:

Their Kickstarter update said that they reached the one million dollar stretch goal. It did not say "we didn't reach one million but we're throwing in the NPC schedules anyway".

And the update after that said: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin/posts/466642/

together with paypal contributions and the fundraisers from RPGCodex & RPGWatch we went over 1MUS$
Larian Livestream. Swen mentions they were $5k short of 1 million including everything form KS/Paypal/codex/watch fundraisers.

Just stop cocksucking Obsidian/inXile for a change.

Jozoz

Prophet
What I found problematic that it really introduced me to how people are fucking retarded, asking questions on reddit like "OMG THIS GAME SO HARD I LIKE RPGS LIKE MASS EFFECT, HOW TO PLAY?????I TRIED 10 MINUTES ITS TOO HARD" "OMG WHY CANT YOU CUSTOMIZE YOUR CHAR MORE WTF THIS IS NOT RPG IF I CANT CUSTOMIZE MY CHAR"

I have never actually seen this much retardation (because I dont follow the gaming scene at all except for the codex) but now I have seen people are fucking stupid, lazy and this simple game gives them hard time.

yeHWif8.png

FreRg56.png

FNbDYcg.png

0.4 hours on record.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The tactical nature of the battles so far has been fantastic. Tactics, including pre-combat positioning, absolutely make the difference between victory and crushing defeat. That's no doubt why fucktards can't into this game, since they pres magic fire sphere butan but don't immediately win.

I only recently discovered that if one or more sneaking (or just unseen/far away) characters aren't spotted by enemies when battle begins, they may move freely and aren't locked into the turn-based structure until they're spotted. This came in very handy when dealing with several skeleton archers and an exploding bomb skeleton patrolling around a scarecrow in a fallow field. I sent my sneaking mages up north, waited until the exploding skeleton wandered near an oil barrel and one of the archers, cast a fireball which killed both the archer and the bomb skeleton (with the combined power of the oil barrel and no doubt the exploding skeleton too), then sent my sneaking warrior and rogue up behind one of the remaining archers from the south. It had turned to look at my now-revealed mages, exposing its back.

I'd assumed for some reason that sneaking characters would be stuck in combat, too... and sometimes they are if they're very close to a spotted character, which is why I was confused. Other times, a sneaking character can still be close to the rest of the party and yet not be locked into turn-based.

One thing that's annoying is trying to fire bows at patrolling enemies from ambush before turn-based has begun. You can't even force turn-based on if you wished to, you just have to try to hit them somehow while they're moving. There seems to be no pause function, either. Another thing is that positioning for backstabs can be very fiddly, and there's no undo option, so you can end up wasting AP.

It's just a shame the story and dialog are so goofy. Good combat and good atmosphere/dialog/story, never the twain shall meet in a cRPG, apparently.

Last edited:

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just wanted to find out how broken is lone wolf / glass cannon that all the buzz was about. Restarted game on hard, got two mages with 4 elemental schools and have to say that I haven't really had problems up to 6th level and I guess it will just get easier. Haven't really used any gear/crafting/potions/scrolls btw., spent all my money on spell books.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd assumed for some reason that sneaking characters would be stuck in combat, too... and sometimes they are if they're very close to a spotted character, which is why I was confused. Other times, a sneaking character can still be close to the rest of the party and yet not be locked into turn-based.

You can use sneak in combat too, as long as no enemies detect you. Your skill in sneak lowers the AP cost.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
You can use sneak in combat too, as long as no enemies detect you. Your skill in sneak lowers the AP cost.

I know, though I don't know if you lose AP for failures, so as yet I haven't used it during combat unless it's obvious I won't be detected.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Larian Livestream. Swen mentions they were $5k short of 1 million including everything form KS/Paypal/codex/watch fundraisers.

On what date was this livestream?

That's what he said during the live stream, but the next day they announced that they actually met the goal for real with Paypal.

Thank you, twincast.
Nope. Livestream started at 4/26/13 Brussels 14:00 (GMT+1). https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin/posts/464480

It was a four hour livestream set to end at when the Kickstarter was over, so 14+4 = ~18:00 (GMT+1) was when the Kickstarter was over. Paypal was calculated at 18:02 (GMT+1), to be $37,256. This still results in a final total of $996,538 including Codex + Watch donations, at 18:02 GMT+1. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin

The reason he says they met the goal is because they allowed Paypal to continue (a week or two) after Kickstarter ended, and allowed those Paypal donations to continue to count to the Stretch Goals.

Unless they copy and pasted the value from Paypal wrong for some reason. Btw, $1million would require a Paypal amount of at least $40,718. So it's plenty possible that the Paypal donation occurred a few seconds, minutes, or hours after the Kickstarter ended.

On one hand it's possible that ~$3000 was donated right before the end. On the other hand Paypal is not affected by the Kickstarter time limit, so it could have been a few minutes after, a few seconds after, etc.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Who cares? Only Trolley I guess because he/she/it desperately wants to find ammunition, cause this is a "Eurotard" game (aka "Eurotrash") and obviously we don't know how to make games over here, right?
So since this is a major success and a well crafted CRPG he/she/it has to find something else to bitch about, so why not "Swen is a lying conman scumbag, he doesn't even keep his promises!"
Cry me a river, shitbrain.:0/5:

Last edited:

SniperHF

Arcane
Before D:OS was released I recall comments from Swen that they would definitely be keen to use kickstarter again, but in his most recent interview he seems to have changed his mind and states that other projects now need the "investment" more. It could be that now they have plenty of funds they just don't want the hassle of a kickstarter campaign and rewards, but he still seems to want the whole community engagement aspect of it. I think he realises, though, that after the huge success of D:OS they wouldn't be able to do another "we really need your support to make this game better" kickstarter pitch like the D:OS one.

Maybe he won't use KS again for that reason. But let's remember this is Swen we are talking about. The guy who said he wouldn't commit to release dates anymore because they always get lapsed. Only to commit to two more lapsed release dates. He changes his mind all the time :lol:

I disagree with the idea that a pitch like that wouldn't be successful again. Just the boost to Larians reputation DOS provided would well offset anyone put off by a second PLZ HALP US pitch. And even if that didn't help and the KS ended up around 400k-500k I still think the guerrilla marketing is worth it. Having ten thousand mouthpieces invested in your game is worth way more money. What I can't say though is whether the stress a KS and the obligations to the backers puts on Larian is worth it a second time. Those guys always seem on the brink of cracking in update videos from lack of sleep.

Gord

Arcane
If you don't need the money, why go through the hassle?
By using early access (or maybe other ways to handle an open beta) they can still get community feedback without having to commit themselves to specific kickstarter goals, giving more flexibility if time and/or funds run out (as has happened with OS), or if they simply come to the realisation that certain goals wouldn't work as intended (as has happened with OS, as well).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
To echo a sentiment from Kevin Saunders, a few thousand in a game that costs millions to make is a rounding error.

Especially considering the fact that they got even more money from Early Access sales. D:OS would have needed to ship earlier than June if not for that.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I've been getting hammered by the "memory leak" purportedly introduced by a recent patch, and it's really starting to wear on my nerves.

After a fresh continue or load, the game runs flawlessly at 60 FPS. At that point, the frame rate (most noticeable when panning, which you do constantly) very steadily degrades over the course of 1-3 minutes until the game is obnoxiously stuttery and laggy. This happens much more quickly in Cyseal, but very slowly in enclosed interior spaces.

Zoning out, quicksaving, or loading completely reverse the stuttering and "reset the timer," else the game would essentially be unplayable for me. I've checked the official forum for fixes, tinkered with the .ini as per some suggestions, but no dice. My machine is high-end (8 GB RAM, SSD, GTX Titan, i7 Sandy Bridge, etc.) and I have no issues running graphically intensive games in general.

Ah well, they're busy with the console port, after all. Can't expect them to spend much time optimizing. Well, at least I won't forget to quicksave. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom