Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do any of you play board and/or miniature wargames?

DefJam101

Arcane
BattleTech

nom nom nom

keppj0nes

Educated
Mefi said:
Also have some miniatures for an SF game from a tiny British company - can't remember the name of the ruleset though - it was roughly crude C20th political entities juxtaposed into a distant future. I played the Commies :)

That sounds pretty interesting. What was the name of that company/game?

Truth

Scholar
Bored: Pictionary, Kill Doctor Lucky, The brick and wool game (Cattan)

War: Panzer General (with just one guy I know who's into those...nerdy fellow (oh ho ho)), Risk (does this count here or above)?

Seboss

Liturgist
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Illuminati and Munchkin kick ass!
Well, I used to like Steve Jackson's games a lot. The concept of theses games is pretty cool and most cards are hilarious.
But these games design is totally flawed by todays standards. For starters, the cards get old fairly quickly and yet they make for 90% of the fun. Besides, they both tend to drag for hours because everyone can team up against the leading player and send him back to stone age, leading to a stalemate most of the time.
Yet, they're still fun from time to time and Illuminati is still pretty good if you forbid players to interfere in combats they're not involved in (even though that plays a big part in Illuminati's gameplay).

LCJr. said:
Is Wings of War a successor or clone of GDW's Blue Max?

I still have my copy of Blue Max. Has to be my all time favorite beer & pretzels game.
I never played Blue Max to be honest, but Boardgamegeek considers WoW as a reimplementation of Blue Max so they must share some mechanics.
WoW is pretty lightweight. Each craft has a specific deck of "move" cards reflecting its speed and maneuverability (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/283658). Each turn, you choose three move cards secretly then reveal them once every player have made his planning. Then you resolve movement simultaneously, placing the movement card in front of the plane card then moving the plane card on the tip of the trajectory depicted on the movement card, checking for firing angles and distance after each move.
Depending on the firepower of your plane, your target have to draw a damage card from one of three different damage decks.

They are some advanced rules about multi-step maneuvers (Himmelman...), damaged rudders, killed gunner, smoke, pursuit and such, but it's all pretty easy to master and matches hardly last for more than 30 minutes. Nice game.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Thus far my personal favourites of the Steve Jackson games have been Frag and Ninja Burger.

LCJr.

Erudite
Seboss said:

I used to play a lot of Steve Jackson when they first started out. I still have the original Car Wars plus the Sunday Drivers and Truck Stop expansions. Plus OGRE/GEV/Shockwave. The one I regret not having anymore is Raid on Iran http://boardgamegeek.com/game/5437 .

Blue Max is played on a hex map and uses a maneuver chart for each aircraft like this http://pease1.sr.unh.edu/bluemax/aircraft/f2b.gif
Gameplay sounds about the same. Each player picks a maneuver and writes it down and all moves are resolved simultaneously then you see who can shoot. The counters were around 1 1/8 inch square and the artwork was done IIRC by Denis Loubet and they really look good. http://boardgamegeek.com/image/125567

After GDW went belly up someone picked it up and made a miniatures game out of it.

Seboss

Liturgist
Never played Axies & Allies but from what I gathered, it's merely a glorified Risk. There are much better conquest games out there, my favourites being Twilight Imperium III, Game of Thrones and Britannia (all published by Fantasy Flight Games for that matter).

LCJr.

Erudite
Seboss said:
Never played Axies & Allies but from what I gathered, it's merely a glorified Risk. There are much better conquest games out there, my favourites being Twilight Imperium III, Game of Thrones and Britannia (all published by Fantasy Flight Games for that matter).

Britannia is definitely one of Avalon Hill's best. Fun game.

Seboss

Liturgist
Right, but most games of this kind are much too long for todays standards. It's pretty hard to find people ready for 6 hours long sittings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom