Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do I detect a pattern in BIS games?

baronjohn

Cipher
OFP - good game
ArmA 1 - OFP with more bugs, bloom and shittier campaign
ArmA 2 - ArmA 1 with more bugs, bloom and shittier campaign

can we assume that

ArmA 3 - ArmA 2 with more bugs, bloom and shittier campaign?

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Game will be better with power armour ala Crysis and proper cover system. Rocket launchers with more ammo will make shooting vehicles more part of game play.

reaven

Educated
If you play those games for the campaign you are doing it wrong.
Get hl2 or metro 2033 for that.

MetalCraze

Arcane
baronjohn said:
OFP - good game
ArmA 1 - OFP with more bugs, bloom and shittier campaign
ArmA 2 - ArmA 1 with more bugs, bloom and shittier campaign

can we assume that

ArmA 3 - ArmA 2 with more bugs, bloom and shittier campaign?

I'm sorry. After PMC DLC the last bit is not possible anymore.
However quite ironically so far ArmA2 is the best game out of the three.

reaven said:
If you play those games for the campaign you are doing it wrong.
Get hl2 or metro 2033 for that.

I take it you've never played OFP?

Joghurt

Augur
Why do people think that the first OFP wasn't buggy? It was as buggy as ArmA when it was released in 2001.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Joghurt said:
Why do people think that the first OFP wasn't buggy? It was as buggy as ArmA when it was released in 2001.

Nostalgia goggles most likely.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Joghurt said:

Bullshit. I managed to finish the OFP campaign on the release build. Something I could never do with ArmA. Apart from some non-critical bugs, the game for me was pretty solid with only a few crashes. When you add the fact that it was a 50 mission campaign compared to the half-dozen proper missions and a few half-arsed amateur side missions of ArmA the difference in bug amount is even starker.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Before 2004. ArmA1, then OFP2, was going to be a direct follow-up to CWC but then BIS decided "fuck it we need graphics first and copying some recent conflict in some third world shithole second!", they scrapped everything and then half of a year before the release date they remembered that they need campaign. ArmA campagin was still done by OFP guys and it shows to a degree (but it was hurt by the time limits, only 20 very short missions).
All of them left after that. ArmA2 was led by some Ivan Buchta and damn does he suck. Half of ArmA2 campaign was about "super cool recon team doing a revolution in an eastern european shithole" and the other half was fucking Battlefield 2.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
But Battlefield 2 didn't even have a campaign. 1942, on the hand, had one, thought I don't think you can call it a campaign.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom