Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you do Navarro runs? (Fallout 2)

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Nearl ... alkthrough

There are ugly tricks you can play early in the game if you know where to find certain locations and items, such as going to San Francisco from Arroyo, then to Navarro and get the Advanced Power Armor, Pulse Rifle and about 25,000 xp right away. This pretty much spoils the entire game for me, so I'll just do this in the order I usually go places.

- When you have replayed Fallout 2, have you ever done the run to Navarro to get power armor right at the start of the game? I've done it once and it makes the game pretty amusing if I want to slaughter everything.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
When using the Restoration Patch, due to that fucking Tribal who tries to kill you in the overland map.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Vaarna_Aarne said:
When using the Restoration Patch, due to that fucking Tribal who tries to kill you in the overland map.

-I've never used the RP. What makes the Tribal you speak of significant? Is he stupidly powerful for a low-level character?

Black

Arcane
Nope, game is easy enough without it.

Do you use Bloodlust and/or bards in Wiz 8?!

spectre

Arcane
Never did it. Makes game too easy, imo.
The only form of short-cutting I ever did on a regular basis is go to den and kill the traders there.

GreyViper

Prophet
Yup most of time and I farm the hubologists who fight press gangs for plasma grenades and for G11s since its so underused. The main point tough is getting to SF since there is a big chance that one of the shops sells lots of skill books.

Canus

Savant
I think I did it once just to see how easy it made the game. Piss easy was the answer.

Stinger

Arcane
DragoFireheart said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:

-I've never used the RP. What makes the Tribal you speak of significant? Is he stupidly powerful for a low-level character?

He's got a lot of HP and he runs like a little bitch if you start to beat him. And then in the post game the bastard has Remnants armour just to make him even more annoying.

Deleted member 7219

Yes, because random encounters nearly killed the game for me.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Stinger said:
DragoFireheart said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:

He's got a lot of HP and he runs like a little bitch if you start to beat him. And then in the post game the bastard has Remnants armour just to make him even more annoying.
Not to mention you've got to be rather quick if you want to keep up with his power-ups. And of course, the final encounter has a fucking gatling laser.

Renegen

Arcane
I managed to defeat him and his goons with a couple well placed kicks to the head. Besides that, it's pretty hard to outgun them, they are usually a step above you.

I never did Navarro runs, hell it's annoying to evade combat getting there in the first place. I mostly just try to play distinct characters, don't even care if they aren't optimized.

Coyote

Arcane
Doing a Navarro run is like playing through Doom in Godmode. Why even bother playing if you're going to do that?

(Okay, it's slightly different in that there's more to the game than combat. But it still seems like it would detract from the game far more than it would add to it.)

Also,

Ed123 said:
Fuck Kaga if only because I had to sit through his fucking floating dialogue.

This. What the fuck was killap thinking with that? Is there any reason not to have the conversation in the normal dialogue window?

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, shamefully. When I want to get right into a build I thought up to test it out and not sit around in Klamath all day killing rats in the mines (seriously fuck that shit). On most occasions though I leave the Advanced Power Armor there on purpose and just roll with a Combat Armor Mk2 or something.

I have done too many normal Fallout 2 playthroughs to really care that much anymore.

Also, it should be noted that people REALLY inflate how "easy" it is to do this. I've seen people (who have probably never even played the game) using it as an argument against Fallout 2, having the option to break the game and go straight for San Fran, that is. Like "Fallout 3 is so much better than 2 because you can cheat in 2!! Also it has pop culture references which makes it way worse than Fallout 3's lore rape!" (you have no idea what kind of shitty sites I go on sometimes).

It's really quite ridiculous. I mean, if you can survive the fucking 50 billion encounters (ranging from Outcasts, Cannibals, Centaurs, Aliens to Enclave patrols) it takes to get to SF at level 1 (or 2 depending on if you did the Arroyo quests that don't really matter much) with Level 1/2 Outdoorsman skill, a skill which nobody tags because of the skill books littered around for it everywhere and the fact that you get a damn Highwayman anyway.

And THEN go to Navarro after getting the BOS quest, avoiding the Enclave Patrol you find every 1mm of the world map, kill Chris while being level 1 or 2 (the purple robe dude at the gas station) to gain entry (because you sure as hell aren't going to pass his speech check at level 1) and then grab all your phat lewt, you pretty much deserve it after the hell you've gone through. This shit requires amazing amounts of patience to pull off, you're going to load game more times than in a normal Fallout 2 playthrough.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
No, I like to create a reasonable story in my play-through. And I play only iron man.
At least I used to before I stopped playing it in favour of Fo1.

Coyote said:
Ed123 said:
Fuck Kaga if only because I had to sit through his fucking floating dialogue.

This. What the fuck was killap thinking with that? Is there any reason not to have the conversation in the normal dialogue window?

Kaga's dialogue already existed, it's in one of the bibles. It was probably supposed to be floating text and killap decided to leave it so.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
If there is an advantage, I use it.

I especially did not want tedious fighting with mutants and centaurs on the map, and wanted to travel freely. So yes, I do the Navarro run.

As for whether it makes the game too easy, so what? Unlike Fallout, Fallout 2 is a pretty boring and tedious game, with the Den, Klamath,.etc. Having Navarro armour and early stage access to energy weaponry means I can just get to the fun parts of the game.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Don't like doing it. It's boring to be honest. And involves a lot of save scumming just to get it done.

To be honest, even FNV had this content skipping. You could skip straight to Vegas if you can acquire two Stealthboys and some healing drugs to survive Death Claws.

What I like about that FNV option is that the game tells you that it exists, only that it's very dangerous to take. Unlike Navarro where the gamer used his own previous knowledge of the map to pin point the location.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Wyrmlord said:
If there is an advantage, I use it.

I especially did not want tedious fighting with mutants and centaurs on the map, and wanted to travel freely. So yes, I do the Navarro run.

As for whether it makes the game too easy, so what? Unlike Fallout, Fallout 2 is a pretty boring and tedious game, with the Den, Klamath,.etc. Having Navarro armour and early stage access to energy weaponry means I can just get to the fun parts of the game.

:what:

Stinger

Arcane
I'm more bothered by the "Fallout 2 is a tedious and boring game" comment.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
No matter, I never liked KotOR 2 either.

In my experience, people who like Fallout 2 also tend to be people who like KotOR 2 and Alpha Protocol i.e. core Obsidian fans and the Avellone crowd.

So I guess we fundamentally differ in what we look for in games. I found the fetch quests in Arroyo, Klamath, Den, Modoc,.etc tedious to the point of being depressing. I also found the fetch quests in KotOR 2 to be tedious to the point of being depressing. But there are gamers who love both games' fetch quests.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom