Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Downloading the dark mod.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Calem Ravenna said:
SCO said:
Unfortunately Doom3 doesn't seem like a ideal engine for very open, very geometry dense levels (no visportal possible and no LOD, but they are working on that - and i guess, as soon as it is opensourced many would be engine devs will try to bolt a LOD algorithm on it).

How is it FPS-wise in open spaces? I remember Doom3 and its mods stuttering quite badly even on more 'modern' machines whenever entering something larger than a medium sized room.

I've seen it run the gamut of very smooth to very jerky (return to the city).

I believe it depends on the skill of the mapper and their expertize with compartmentalizing the level with visportals - these are stream-loaded, but to be effective must be placed on "gates" that naturally divide a level. In badly done maps, it is possible to "escape" the design and break the illusion : there is nothing beyond a visportal if you don't step through it. Setting dynamic lights everywhere is also a no-no.

That is why a LOD system would be a boon, the long scenic view (i think Doom3 already culls hidden surfaces, so it is at least much ahead of ShitBryo).

Calem Ravenna

Scholar
SCO said:
I've seen it run the gamut of very smooth to very jerky (return to the city).

I believe it depends on the skill of the mapper and their expertize with compartmentalizing the level with visportals - these are stream-loaded, but to be effective must be placed on "gates" that naturally divide a level. In badly done maps, it is possible to "escape" the design and break the illusion : there is nothing beyond a visportal if you don't step through it. Setting dynamic lights everywhere is also a no-no.

That is why a LOD system would be a boon, the long scenic view (i think Doom3 already culls hidden surfaces, so it is at least much ahead of ShitBryo).

Thanks, I'll give it a try then.

AluminumHaste

Novice
MetalCraze said:
SCO said:
This one looks ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnslvL6SVzk

I guess you have to go to the top!

Lawl the retard plays a Thief game with an XBawks controller

I can assure you that I most certainly did not play with a controller. I was using a Microsoft Sidewinder X8 wireless mouse on my Alienware laptop. Who plays FPS games with a controller anyways?
Anyways if you look at the other video on my channel about that map there was an improvement to the mantling system to allow for players to mantle moving objects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMyHMeuikc8

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom