Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age 2 is empty & sterile - now officially

Project: Eternity
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... 4376174/37

Mike Laidlaw said:
As to the subject of tactical view, I can confirm that we will not be doing a tactical view on consoles, though we are looking into some expanded party control that I think will make console players quite happy.

On the PC, however, we are still working with the camera to keep the key elements of the tactical experience there. I was actually playtesting some new camera code when Victor found me, in fact, so I can give you the latest news on that front.

While we likely won't pull as far up as we did in DA:O, I have always felt that the key to tactical play was actually freeing your camera from the character you're controlling to issue precise orders, which is what we're tuning now. So, this means you can still maneuver the camera around the battlefield and issue orders from a remote location, just as you could in Origins.

As you can probably tell from my phrasing, all of this is a bit in-flux right now, so things may change between now and ship, but I wanted to update you guys on the current direction of things.

Relay

Educated
While we likely won't pull as far up as we did in DA:O, I have always felt that the key to tactical play was actually freeing your camera from the character you're controlling to issue precise orders, which is what we're tuning now. So, this means you can still maneuver the camera around the battlefield and issue orders from a remote location, just as you could in Origins.

Do they even understand what game balance means ? if they made it so that a kiddo who mash a button can win, why should we even bother with the "tactical" camera, just so we could end fights a bit faster ?

attackfighter

Magister
Dragon Age 1 barely let you move the camera around anyways, there'd be archers shooting you from across the room but the only way you could see them was to switch to the over-the-shoulder mode

Micmu

Magister
I'm willing to bet that in the end both versions will be *exactly* the same (except for mouse support in PC version). Everything is cheap profit about this one.

Dantus12

Educated
The tactical camera is despite Laidlaw giving it cute names like:"Tactical camera 2.0",from everything that I read suffering a "port block",like jumpiness to prevent zooming,limited view distance to save processing power on consoles:
http://www.pcgames.de/Dragon-Age-2-PC-2 ... 10-768453/
Again in German.
Excerpt

Negativ fiel uns die fehlende Distanz-Ansicht auf. In der Gamescom 2010-Version von Dragon Age 2 gab es lediglich eine leicht schwenkbare Schulterkamera. Im Stile eines Mass Effect 2 ändert Bioware den Rollenspiel-Anspruch in Richtung actionreiches und konsoliges Gameplay. Die Steuerung ist anderes als in Dragon Age Origins klar auf das Gamepad und damit die Konsole ausgelegt.

Translation:
The negativ impression on the lack of view disstance.
At the GamesCom the camera was a limited OTS.Like in ME,Bioware is changing the direction towards action and console gameplay.The controls are differnt and laid out for a gamepad,and the console.
source again:
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... 6prmd%3Dnv

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
In what universe is this game more detailed than DA1?

I think it's console bros saying that... the original game looked like shit on consoles, from what I have read.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Deneidez said:
"Since Dragon Age was mainly sold on the console, we look first to these customers. "

:x

It's hard to blame them for that, really. Well, what I mean is if you want to make super-de-dooper blockbuster games and roll in money with your two hooker friends it's hard to blame them for that, really.

If you want to make good games though, then you're an asshole and idiot. They don't want to make good games though, they want to make MONEY.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
What the hell? Are those people even RPG fans? Why are they playing Bioware games if they don't want to play an RPG? I know Bioware is catering to them now, but still. How did they get started? With Mass Effect 2?

Micmu

Magister
Hobo Elf said:
What the hell? Are those people even RPG fans? Why are they playing Bioware games if they don't want to play an RPG? I know Bioware is catering to them now, but still. How did they get started? With Mass Effect 2?
With other EA games.

Drakron

Arcane
True, Mass Effect was a Xbox 360 exclusive game ... until EA happened.

Mass Effect 2 is a EA game, they dumb it down even with the first one being a console game so we cannot blame consoles for this, we have to blame EA.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hobo Elf said:
What the hell? Are those people even RPG fans?

Bioware, much like the codex, lies and says the mainstream prefers dumbed down shit. Codex does it to make themselves feel superior. Bioware does it to lower development costs/disguise their lack of talent. Games suffer as a result.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Hobo Elf said:

Biotards are on par with twilight fans, they play and mod these games so they can fuck drow chicks and carth onasi. With the same character!

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”
-Henry Ford

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Mastermind said:
Hobo Elf said:
What the hell? Are those people even RPG fans?

Bioware, much like the codex, lies and says the mainstream prefers dumbed down shit. Codex does it to make themselves feel superior. Bioware does it to lower development costs/disguise their lack of talent. Games suffer as a result.

While I agree that some dumbing-down is not actually needed and based on misconception, it's not wrong to believe most people are idiots.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I HAD LITTLE INTEREST IN DA1 AND LESS IN DA2

BUT REALLY I AM NOT ANGRY ABOUT IT ALTHOUGH MAYBE I SHOULD BE~!!!!!

Baron

Arcane
I get your point, I even agree. But my hatred of DA could be transported by truck. It's heavy, toxic, and of export quality. If it's any consolation I didn't play the game through three times before reaching this conclusion. I gave up half way in some Dwarven city, and then Crispy's thread inspired me to try to finish it. (Because I paid for it.)

I didn't make it. It's horrible. It sucks my will to live or peacefully coexist with others. And No, I have not therefore pre-ordered the sequel. But you should be angry about DA. It should unite humanity. Like a mob.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Baron said:
I get your point, I even agree. But my hatred of DA could be transported by truck. It's heavy, toxic, and of export quality. If it's any consolation I didn't play the game through three times before reaching this conclusion. I gave up half way in some Dwarven city, and then Crispy's thread inspired me to try to finish it. (Because I paid for it.)

I didn't make it. It's horrible. It sucks my will to live or peacefully coexist with others. And No, I have not therefore pre-ordered the sequel. But you should be angry about DA. It should unite humanity. Like a mob.

:love:

It was the Derp Roads that did you in, wasn't it? I hope you at least romanced Zevran before you gave up for maximum lulz value.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
BLOBERT said:
BROS I HAD LITTLE INTEREST IN DA1 AND LESS IN DA2

BUT REALLY I AM NOT ANGRY ABOUT IT ALTHOUGH MAYBE I SHOULD BE~!!!!!

Sure you should, bro. This here is the Codex, you know.

denizsi

Arcane
Do we have a LP DAO thread? A "maximum lulz" LP would be a good reminder for the unsuspecting future posters.

Lesifoere said:
It was the Derp Roads that did you in, wasn't it? I hope you at least romanced Zevran before you gave up for maximum lulz value.

Let's not forget about the ghetto town caves either

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Don't we have multiple DA:O LP threads, even? I'm sure one of them was aimed for lulz, but perhaps it wasn't finished.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom