Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age 2 Redefines Visceral Combat

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Archibald said:
How can transition between this and DA1 battle system work?

In the console version (this gameplay video) you move your character around with the controller and hit buttons to make him do attacks (including your basic attack). There is no autoattack and no pathfinding to your target. Pretty much your standard action game set up.

You can still give squad orders and switch who is your active character.

In the PC version you control it like DA:O. You click on an enemy and then your character moves over to hm and begins autoattacking until he is dead. You use your quick bar slots to perform your special attacks. Party control will also be the same as DA:O, although the devs are leaning towards providing more tactics slots currently.

Edit: Forgot to mention. It hasn't been decided yet but the tactical camera view may move down lower. They will unlock the camera so you can scroll freely, I want the higher camera.

The animations that play and the number crunching will be the same for both versions.

In General the animations seem to play faster so gameplay will probably overall be faster paced (The quicker to get through the boring filler combat right?). Also, it is more responsive in general. Once you click on an enemy they will go rushing off to it and when they get close enough they will do a closing attack animation. Player animations also have the damage event front loaded so you immediately apply damage and then finish the animation. They also got rid of synced animations except for deathblow animations. These changes make it easier to interrupt/intercept enemies. Some player mage spells also play a longer casting attack animation that is interruptable.

It looks like dynasty warriors in this video because

1.) They are playing a warrior and all warrior attacks have an arc where all enemies in the arc are hit by the attack (and friendlies when friendly fire is turned on, highest difficulty only unfortunately). This is part of the class rebalancing they are doing. Rogues focus on higher damage against individual targets.

2.) This is an exaggerated gameplay segment where enemies are really weak and your damage is amped up. This is a specific portion at the beginning of the game so enemies during most of the game will not be dieing that easily.

You would know all this and more if you read the link I provided this fine collection of individuals to make them aware of the DA2 combat changes. That way we can get quality, well founded in facts, gripes and complaints instead of ignorant, knee jerk reaction, gripes and complaints.

Rogue

Educated
Shannow said:
Rogue said:
Because Bioware's suits think that this optional style is preferred by 98.65% of players. By the time DA3 drops the DA:O style completely, players will embrace the opinion of the horde and the remaining players with taste will move to the North Pole where they will run around naked until freezing to death.
fixed

:salute:

StrangeCase

Educated
darkpatriot said:
You would know all this and more if you read the link I provided this fine collection of individuals to make them aware of the DA2 combat changes. That way we can get quality, well founded in facts, gripes and complaints instead of ignorant, knee jerk reaction, gripes and complaints.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Texas Red

Whiner
VentilatorOfDoom said:
<p>If you want to know just how visceral mashing the A-button will feel like in Dragon Age 2, just behold this <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/dragon-age-2-gameplay/350241" target="_blank">DA2 gameplay trailer</a> from GameCity in Vienna.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><em>Thanks to Hiver!</em></p>

bar bar bar

bonescraper

Oh, the Codex is butthurt a bit. Stop bitching, half of you fuckers will enjoy this piece of shit "for what it is" anyway. In Bioware we trust! :salute:

Jaesun said:
SO basically Bioware are now makers of Action Games with light RPG elements....
Moar liek since 2005?

jadeempire_cover_768.jpg

Luzur

Good Sir
bonescraper said:
Oh, the Codex is butthurt a bit. Stop bitching, half of you fuckers will enjoy this piece of shit "for what it is" anyway. In Bioware we trust! :salute:

phah! you wish, eh?

bonescraper

Luzur said:
phah! you wish, eh?
So you're saying it's going to be more than half, eh? Yeah, i forgot about the hivemind theory, my bad.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, this crap cannot be defended.

DAO was not really a bad game, mediocre I would say. But this trailer for DAO2 is simply abysmal. It smells like Final Fantasy, God of War ... and what's next...Raving Rabbits !?
So, it seems that Bioware is headed in the right direction, as all the vessels found under EA's command. To the place where game companies are dying.

maverick

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
God of War meets Final Fantasy VII.

So much for being the "spiritual successor" to Baldur's Gate...

Luzur

Good Sir
bonescraper said:
Luzur said:
phah! you wish, eh?
So you're saying it's going to be more than half, eh? Yeah, i forgot about the hivemind theory, my bad.

i have yet to even think about installing the first one, and i think you have too little faith in the Codex rage machine. :smug:

Rogue

Educated
Well if they've come this far ... why not add a special ability 'if you mash your button REALLY hard, you get extra dmg'? There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, since it's optional. And it will be preferred anyway.

DraQ

Arcane
Rogue said:
Well if they've come this far ... why not add a special ability 'if you mash your button REALLY hard, you get extra dmg'? There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, since it's optional. And it will be preferred anyway.
Them "buttans" are not analog so it won't work, although it would cool to mention it in the tutorial or somewhere (since retards cannot into manual) and watch the idiocy bloom.
:smug:

Mortmal

Arcane
http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/ ... deo/350296
Here it is...
So on xbox 360 it will play like a watered down god of war , but on pc it will be more like the first one but full real time with even less tactic involved.
Instead of smashing he A button , the glorious pc master race will see his character autoattack just with a single click .
Bah i hope its an alpha build , its not even pretty, look like some gore B movie.
I am not buying that, hell no.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom