Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Semiurge

Cipher

If you have gender equality in your medieval dung age fantasy game, you've fucked up. Any believability goes right out the window.

This is why dark fantasy is clearly superior to corporate slop fantasy that has to appeal to everyone.

I believe the DAO writers even stated that the Game of Thrones books were an influence. Gurm may be liberal, but the books' content rarely reflects that. In them, if you end up having tits & arse you're screwed either way whether you use them to your advantage or not.

9ted6

Educated

If you have gender equality in your medieval dung age fantasy game, you've fucked up. Any believability goes right out the window.

This is why dark fantasy is clearly superior to corporate slop fantasy that has to appeal to everyone.

I believe the DAO writers even stated that the Game of Thrones books were an influence. Gurm may be liberal, but the books' content rarely reflects that. In them, if you end up having tits & arse you're screwed either way whether you use them to your advantage or not.
I would say Origins is also less liberal overall than GoT.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

I would say Origins is also less liberal overall than GoT.

Still had Tolkien spirit.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
DA:O was never that bad. I played it in 2010 and liked it. Of course, since I've joined the codex in November 2014 I wouldn't allow myself to like RPGs so liberally anymore.

Camel

Scholar
DA:O is good while seeing modern trash and/or pozzed games like BG3 adds more nostalgic appeal.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
DA:O was never good, it squandered whatever potential it had in every aspect, be it writing, combat, character building, itemization. It's more playable than BG3, sure, but that's not a high bar.

Rhobar121

Scholar
DA:O has never had a good fight.
The gameplay was shitty in that respect. They completely overhauled the combat in DA2 but somehow managed to make the game worse.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I think the real question now is which will be worse, this, Avowed or VtMB2?
Vtmb2, easily. At least Avowed comes from a company that actually releases games, even if they're shit, at the very least they come out instead of being trapped in a dev hell and restart the dev process with another studio.

Another point to consider is that nobody feels that strongly about PoE's setting. Bloodlines 2 has to answer to fans of the first game AND fans of the tabletop game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Does anyone really feel strongly about Bloodlines' setting? What made VtMB and to an extent Redemption was the characters.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
DA:O was never that bad. I played it in 2010 and liked it. Of course, since I've joined the codex in November 2014 I wouldn't allow myself to like RPGs so liberally anymore.
Only real issue I had with it at the time was the rtwp. Fade sections were cool. Though I never even heard it had an expansion so I guess reorigins would be a chance to play that.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
It seemed pretty clear to me that Origins was Baldur's Gate set in discount Lord of the Rings covered in spattered blood.
It's Gayder copying the highlights of Song of Ice and Fire + the Witcher + generic grimdark fantasy, doing some light changes before blending it all into The Dragon Age Setting, or "Thedas". Baldur's Gate is Forgotten Realms, a discount Lord of the Rings setting, but everything in modern fantasy owes something to Tolkien, so you're not wrong.

Vorark

Erudite
It's more playable than BG3
It's weird that there are completely shit design decisions that players today don't mind but would have been deal breakers 10-15 years ago.

For example, the camera. Briefly tried BG3 to see what the fuss was about and spent more time wrestling with it than playing.

Say what you will about DAO but camera control was perfect in both tactical and 3rd person view, with a seamless swap between the two modes. Makes you wonder which game was released in 2009 when you take this aspect in account.

jackofshadows

Magister
Say what you will about DAO but camera control was perfect in both tactical and 3rd person view, with a seamless swap between the two modes. Makes you wonder which game was released in 2009 when you take this aspect in account.
Well, its game's world was flat af so no wonder there's no problem with the camera.

9ted6

Educated
I agree I think its a damn good game. I even like the deep roads. Ijust hate the armor designs with a passion
It's not amazing but it's perfectly serviceable and beats the competition in my opinion. It's not particularly preachy like Witcher or Thrones and it's dark without being stupid dark like Warhammer.

Compared to more traditional settings it's grittier and less epic fantasy feeling with no tieflings or such shit running around and no jarring sci fi elements like BG, TES and PF all have.

Origins was just a decent dark fantasy game and what made it refreshing especially now is that it's all it tried to be, no more and no less. Except the retarded armors.

NaturallyCarnivorousSheep

Albanian Deliberator Kang
Patron
Possibly Retarded
DA:O is good while seeing modern trash and/or pozzed games like BG3 adds more nostalgic appeal.
BG3 haters reach new heights with every post of theirs :lol:

DAO was a game that was fun back in 2009 because that was literally all there was for new higher shelf cRPGs outside of NWN2 which I think had its last expansion released year prior and then there were several years where the best scraps you could find in the bins were games like Drakensang. Literal starvation food. If DAO came out in 2016 it would share the fate of Sword Coast Legends.

NaturallyCarnivorousSheep

Albanian Deliberator Kang
Patron
Possibly Retarded
Ok let me tell you what would you hear about it if it didn't come during starvation period:
-cooldown and mana combat system with overabundance of healing, decline
-wasting money on full VA, still looks awkward as fuck
-gays
-boring companions
-bad encounter design
-cliche bioware story formula
-uninspired world(darkspawn are literally le orcs)
-rtwp<tb, sadly it is rtwp

It's legitimately unimpressive if you don't have any nostalgia for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom