Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age E3 trailer

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Here it is, complete with everyone's favorite Marilyn Manson song. You know, it's becoming more and more obvious the complete 180 in marketing that has occured for this game after it was announced that it would come to consoles. EA are now clearly trying to get as many console fucktards as possible in on this game. The question is, will Bioware be making changes to the game to dumb it down, and if so how much? And if perhaps they are not making that many changes, and are mostly sitting on the game and bugtesting until October, then should we dismiss the marketing as not indicative of the game? The only reason I ask is that this game was in a unique position of being a PC exclusive, and then later EA decided for a multiplatform release. So at least in the beginning the level of dumbing down appeared to be minor compared to, say, JE and ME. So maybe EA are just trying to trick as many console players as possible. Then again, Bioware certainly has enough time to make changes for the game.

On the eve of destruction, in a forgotten page of
When did EA acquire Bioware, exactly? Because as I understand it was only recently, and the game has been in development since 2004. They couldn't have come in towards the end and issued a "Change everything... NOW!" statement, and EA hasn't been as bad recently since they have been by trying out new IPs - for better or worse - and taking a step back with their DRM ambitions. I still think EA's still slimy and deplorable like Activision, Atari, and Bethesda - so no one jump all over me because I'm not supporting them. I think that the point you brought up, Dicksmoker, that this is just to lure the console players in is a perfectly reasonable assumption to make. It's what I think too. Making it dark, having scenes flash quickly, blood flying, and Marilyn Manson helps distract the dreary console creatures that this has graphics that can adequately be described as acceptable.

Also, this:
bigguy.jpg

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I beleive EA has owned BIo for almost 2 years now. And, EA is awesome. They have made some of the best games ever. Period.

On the eve of destruction, in a forgotten page of
Volourn said:
I beleive EA has owned BIo for almost 2 years now. And, EA is awesome. They have made some of the best games ever. Period.

If they have owned Bioware for almost 2 years then all hope could very well be lost. Wikipedia says they have owned them for a little over a year, which could still spell doom. I wonder how much time has been spent on bug fixes. They could still be adding stuff into the world or getting features to work properly. My hope is for a lengthy bug fix cycle, which means that EA wouldn't have had time to properly meddle and we'll finally get a modern RPG that doesn't play hacky sack with your system.

Rhalle

Magister
Volourn said:
I beleive EA has owned BIo for almost 2 years now. And, EA is the devil. They are like the terminal asscrack cancer of the gaming industy. Period.

piydek

Cipher
This trailer is really fucking terrible. My eyes have been almost completely off of new games for a few years now and of course i knew and know where the whole thing is headed and nothing can really surprise me these days, but still, this level of idiocy i haven't expected. This trailer looks/sounds even worse than copy/paste trailers for cinema movies in the last couple of years. Now that's saying a lot.

It's really depressing to see. Just to think at what kind of mind this kind of shit aims.

Talonfire

Scholar
I was hoping that this game would be the one that made BioWare worth paying attention to again. Now I just want to ignore and laugh at them even more with this Marilyn Manson garbage they're flooding their trailers with.

Seems like making their games appear edgy is how they make up for their lack of creative talent.

piydek

Cipher
"Edgy"? How does that kind of music and/or directing make anything appear edgy? It is designed to make it seem "action packed" and "exciting for dumbasses". But fuck, even the worst dumbasses must think that kind of stuff is lame by now.

*waiting for somebody to make a trailer without the cool low-voice intro, with at first "atmosperic" music, be it a gentle mystic strum on a guitar or a nice subdued synthetic or orchestral piece, that is suddenly cut and then the kewl epic rhythm kicks in along with the accelerating succession of shots that are increasingly "exciting" with accompanying, action packed scenes, which all combines into a cathartic release of all the tension that has been built and finally explodes in a huge bang and a "coming soon" sign*

always makes me wet myself with anticipation.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Now I just want to ignore and laugh at them even more"

So.. which is it, moron? :?

Silellak

Cipher
Volourn said:

Come on...seriously? EA being awesome? What games have they actually made THEMSELVES that are classics? Not games they've published - games they've made.

I will never forgive EA for what happened to Origin. It wasn't entirely EA's fault, but the mentality they had towards the smaller studios they purchased back then was disgusting. They murdered Ultima 9 in favor of Ultima Online. I grew up on the Ultima series, and the story deserved a proper fucking ending.

Talonfire

Scholar
piydek said:
"Edgy"? How does that kind of music and/or directing make anything appear edgy? It is designed to make it seem "action packed" and "exciting for dumbasses". But fuck, even the worst dumbasses must think that kind of stuff is lame by now.

*waiting for somebody to make a trailer without the cool low-voice intro, with at first "atmosperic" music, be it a gentle mystic strum on a guitar or a nice subdued synthetic or orchestral piece, that is suddenly cut and then the kewl epic rhythm kicks in along with the accelerating succession of shots that are increasingly "exciting" with accompanying, action packed scenes, which all combines into a cathartic release of all the tension that has been built and finally explodes in a huge bang and a "coming soon" sign*

always makes me wet myself with anticipation.

Nevertheless, EA and BioWare aren't exactly making good impressions by releasing these over the top trailers. I don't think even the dumbest of BioWare fanboys are taking this trailer seriously.

aries202

Erudite
EA bought Bioware (or rather Elevation Partner that owned Bioware/Pandemic) in October 2007, but the transfer was not not completed untill January or February 2008, I think.

And yes, the shift in marketing is probably directly targeted at console players that could or might be interested in this game.

However, if we're to believe the devs. at the Bioware forums, the story itself has not been rewritten or remade to fit EA's views on the game, DA: Origins.

It really is, or seems, to be a very dark place, this Ferelden.

Here's a thread in which David Gaider actually answers some questions (maybe because marketing is at E3?)

http://daforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.h ... &forum=135

I find his answers in the thread linked above to be very interesting and intriguing; the world is really fleshed out, logical and consistent. And I, for one, wouldn't believe the Chantry at all...

Here's a post from Jose Illitsky, a programmer at Bioware:

http://daforums.bioware.com/viewpost.ht ... highlight=

He talk about how he has invested 30+ hours into the game, and how npcs in the game do not just hop in the sack with you, just because you give them gifts or nice books....

The game is to be released in 4 months or so. I really don't think, Bioware have the time to make chances to the game. If they did, they would have made the changes a long time ago...

And as stated first in this post, Ferelden is a very dangerous and dark place...

piydek

Cipher
Major_Boobage said:
Fifa used to be pretty good and EA made that..

No fucking way. That game/series always was seriously retarded. Sensible soccer (played properly - with joy-stick on the amiga) still wipes the floor with any of this FIFA/PES bullshit in any incarnation of those games.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
piydek said:
No fucking way. That game/series always was seriously retarded. Sensible soccer (played properly - with joy-stick on the amiga) still wipes the floor with any of this FIFA/PES bullshit in any incarnation of those games.

What makes a game good in Codex eyes? Shit graphics and enjoyable when the poster was 12.

piydek

Cipher
That's total bullshit. Who's talking about the codex? I'm not trying to impress a bunch of nerds behind a keyboard, that may be your raison d'etre, but not mine. Anyone who has played and understood sensible soccer knows what i meant in that post. Also, that game is as enjoyable today as it was when it came out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom