Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Hands down Patrick Weekes is probably their best writer. Too bad he's not part of the new ME game.
You might want to rethink that: http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15098&postcount=32
Did not J.Sawyer support fucking Anita Sarkeesian on her shitty Kickstarter scam? They all have their herp derp moments:M

Weeks wrote Moridin, Tuchanka and Ranoch in ME3 the only not a total shit part of that game.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Why does a game company need to thank the gay gamer community or even cater to it specifically? It's a game, not a social agenda... might as well go to the next wrestlemania and thank the support of every bro in attendance.

kris

Arcane
This makes perfect sense if you play a woman.
Please don't read more into my asking than my question alone, but what do you mean by saying this? I don't get it.

Because a woman is almost expected to decline an sexual advance if she wants to fuel an romance. (of course this is all about context) A man won't stop pursuing her.

In theory that should go even more for a medieval setting, but for all we know this setting is having a more (late) Romanesque view on sex.

Lhynn

Arcane

eremita

Savant

Lhynn

Arcane
He said he's enjoying it so far. To be honest, I also thought OC was quite good after few hours in the game...
Well, i quit the first time i played it because of camera issues, the second time with the expansion it wasnt quite as fucking awful, still annoying tho.
The story always seems like its going somewhere interesting, it just never does, so no, i never had any fun with it, but was always thinking i would an hour from then, shits weird.

eremita

Savant
Hands down Patrick Weekes is probably their best writer. Too bad he's not part of the new ME game.
You might want to rethink that: http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15098&postcount=32
Set let me get this straight: Sawyer doesn't like that traditional "ego-stroking" high fantasy kind of approach and he probably said some negative shit about those who do (I'm guessing, I don't know what exactly is Weekes reacting to). Weekes thinks it's all bullshit, cause "ego-stroking bla bla" itself is just a concept, thus only bad or good in particular case... (At this point of my life, I'm pretty sure there's not much of bad concepts out there, only retarded realizations...)

Well, I think he's right about that (although rather butthurt honestly) but he also pissed me of because I'm not not the kind of player he's talking about...

Thanks for the link, btw

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Am i the only one glad we are past page 245? Spoiler tags on faggy shit please.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
When I come home from a long day at work, make dinner, clean up after dinner, and help put my little dude to bed, I've got about half an hour to do something on my own time before it's time for me to do evening chores and head for bed. I'm not looking for a sword-holding simulation complete with gangrenous leg wounds and a terrifying fear of combat. I'm looking to be the hero who whacks bad guys. I'm looking for comfort in the realm of the heroic. Yes, it's an indulgence, because I spent $60 Canadian to indulge myself. It's only a shallow indulgence if it's badly written.
Oh, he's one of those people. Why do they even play games?

Kidd

Educated
Because a woman is almost expected to decline an sexual advance if she wants to fuel an romance. (of course this is all about context) A man won't stop pursuing her.
Oh, right. That.

Sorry, I'm from Stockholm.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He said he's enjoying it so far. To be honest, I also thought OC was quite good after few hours in the game...
Well, i quit the first time i played it because of camera issues, the second time with the expansion it wasnt quite as fucking awful, still annoying tho.
The story always seems like its going somewhere interesting, it just never does, so no, i never had any fun with it, but was always thinking i would an hour from then, shits weird.

He actually slammed NWN2 pretty hard in a livejournal post, but he's since expunged the entire thing. Here's the one thing I quoted for posterity:
I don't get to play with the complex world of scripting, because my bosses don't think my feeble writer brain can handle it.... and even I know that you make sure that a given encounter triggers properly for every direction by which that encounter can be accessed. You don't expect to see it done properly in Joe Player's amateur module up on the Neverwinter Vault, but the bar's a bit higher for a professional game designer who's asking for $50US to play his module."

He also complained about the terribad companion AI (like the dwarf guzzling potions to heal after a fight was over instead of allowing him to take advantage of the consequence-free unlimited resting). And something about weapon-switching, I think? Someone in the comments section correctly assessed that Obs was too busy fixing extreme stability bugs to change the content.

potatojohn

Arcane
This is like Jessica Alba saying that she wouldn't strip in Sin City because she didn't want to be seen as just a sex object. Jessica, you are just a sex object. That's all you have going for you. Sawyer, you do write masturbatory fantasy indulgence.
Sawyer got owned

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Qunari are vashoth - for those not Biolingual, that means a person of the qunari race who is born outside of lands where the Qun is practiced. Not to be confused with the Tal-Vashoth, who are military deserters of the Qun.
How can you possibly know that? :negative:

Knut

Educated
People should realize already that romances are not bad in itself and that feminism (non militant) gay romance is inclusion, no matter the agenda.
It is only too bad bioware will make it typical pompous grimdark over-saturated eyebleed.

My point- many repressed homosexuals in this thread. :smug:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is like Jessica Alba saying that she wouldn't strip in Sin City because she didn't want to be seen as just a sex object. Jessica, you are just a sex object. That's all you have going for you. Sawyer, you do write masturbatory fantasy indulgence.
Sawyer got owned

Did she actually say that? It wouldn't surprise me if she did. The issue is not even that she -is- a sex object, the issue is that she (and many similar tarts) deliberately built her image and million-dollars-career upon being such. Same as with Gaider being snarky about people only caring about homosexual romance in his games. Even R*'s The Ballad of Gay Tony has less focus on homosexuality than Gaider's stuff, and generated way less homo-hype (iirc, it generated none at all). Also, it's got an altogether better plot, writing and acting.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
People should realize already that romances are not bad in itself and that feminism (non militant) gay romance is inclusion, no matter the agenda.
It is only too bad bioware will make it typical pompous grimdark over-saturated eyebleed.

My point- many repressed homosexuals in this thread. :smug:
Romances are not bad in itself ---> true. Since C&C is probably the most important thing for me, I'd consider romance options per se even good. As long as they are based on believeable and/or good written characters. And not the other way round.
Feminism gay romance is inclusion, not matter the agenda ---> Wtf?!? Why would you think that shit? By that logic, everything is inclusion. Except of course you believe the fairy tale of the poor wymynz oppressed by the PATRIARCHY!
Repressed homo ---> As I said here, I'm all for romace options per se. Even if they might be gay sometime, I don't midn that at alll (as long as fitting in the world). As I said before, my fave GoT-char is Renly Baratheon. It's not gays I'm having issues with, it's SJW-attitude.

Kidd

Educated
Qunari are vashoth - for those not Biolingual, that means a person of the qunari race who is born outside of lands where the Qun is practiced. Not to be confused with the Tal-Vashoth, who are military deserters of the Qun.
How can you possibly know that? :negative:
I read tie-in fiction. Clearly knowing simple lore you pick up from spending 10 minutes on the BSN isn't above my nerd grade. ;)

Do you want me to shed some light on Tevinter's social class structure while I'm at it?
:martini:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's worth noting that Patrick Weekes' post was posted in early 2007, when Obsidian's only games were KOTOR2 and NWN2 OC. Back then, it seemed like Obsidian was just going to be a "Bioware 2", so I can kind of understand Weekes thinking Sawyer was being arrogant for considering himself to be a "higher breed".

Since then, of course, the two companies have significantly diverged.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom