Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Mannequins

MightyHoax

Educated
Project: Eternity
I know :deadhorse: and it doesn´t fit in general rpg section, but still..

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mi...reuse-levels-will-have-decisions-that-matter/

Laidlaw couched his statements about the future of Dragon Age by saying that the topics under discussion were not official announcements.
"We're not making promises here, we're talking about ideas," he warned.
On the subject of equipment for followers in future Dragon Age games, Laidlaw illustrated how armor sets might look different on different classes of followers.
"Suppose, in your party, you have a Gray Warden. And suppose you had a Seeker," he said, showing a male Gray Warden and female Seeker. "And you had this thing: a suit of armor, a chest piece, and it had stats and stuff."
Laidlaw showed that armor set applied to the Warden, then to the Seeker, in concept art form. The armor looked slightly different on each, with "thematic" aesthetic differences applied so "they don't lose their identity in the process." Laidlaw then showed a slew of concept art, with various armor pieces from helmets to shoulder guards to bracers, then full sets, each applied to the two different classes.
He also teased the possibility that players might be able to fully customize armor pieces, applying color and types of material (cloth, leather, mail) to armor sets.

hmm..my daughter already has something similar on the iPad: http://appshopper.com/games/tiny-pet-pony

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I love how he spends a total of three words on actual RPG material with, "stats and stuff."

And that is assuming that "stuff" has anything to do with RPGs.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh Laidlaw, you're such a faggot :deadhorse:

I think I remember other games doing this 'thematic aesthetic differences' thing with armor looking slightly different for different chars (maybe KOTOR2 with robes for certain Jedi?).

Actually every RPG does this, there's a version of each armor for each sex.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
"Not making promises. Ideas."
Well, I guess after the whole Mass Effect 3 debacle (YOU LIED TO US BIOWARE!!!!!!!11!) the devs have to be more careful.

Also lol at tinting your armor. Looks like they're aiming to cut out the Nexus Modding part even more.

Regdar

Arcane
stats and stuff

Aww Mr. Laidlaw, doncha know I wanna play a gaem, not a focken spreadsheet?!!

decision that matter

Destroy the darkspawn
Merge with the darkspawn
Control the darkspawn

It's gonna be glorious :yeah:

Albers

Educated
He's just speaking to the fanbase, who complained mightily about the fact that they couldn't play paper dolls with their party in DA2. "Stats and stuff?" Who cares! Can I put the hot pirate girl in a mini skirt and gothy black lace stuff?

Gentle Player

Arcane
I thought these games were supposed to be about the immershun and all that. How is a suit of armour that changes appearance based on the wearer supposed to add to my immershunz? :M Also, could have sworn that the "identity" of a fictional character came down to a lot more than how they look while posing in their armour.

Stinger

Arcane
What a hot load of shit. After it became pretty clear that the companions weren't customisable cause the devs couldn't be bothered making new armour models/editing them for them does Laidlaw really expect us to believe they'll make custom versions of every armour set for each individual companion?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why not just have an armor system like Daggerfall and Morrowind used.

Like, lots of different armor types and different pieces you can equip, and you can wear clothes underneath the armor too! This offers some great customization!

Oh wait it would actually require some thought on game design, and more effort than just "hurr armor changes appearance based on class".

Micmu

Magister
What what? Dargon age 3 wasn't released yet? :(
Oh you catamites are gonna continue to spam RPG discussion with eaware-related shit...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why not just have an armor system like Daggerfall and Morrowind used.

Like, lots of different armor types and different pieces you can equip, and you can wear clothes underneath the armor too! This offers some great customization!

Oh wait it would actually require some thought on game design, and more effort than just "hurr armor changes appearance based on class".
Not iconic enough. They have put thought into this and their thought is: We want cosplayers and fan art and recognizable silhouettes.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Oh Bioware, I hope you implement multiplayer, which has a large impact on the single player game. Also, please release a facebook dragon age spin off, which unlocks new armor for my npcs. I know I can count on you to deliver an immersive interactive story

racofer

Thread Incliner
Oh Bioware, I hope you implement multiplayer, which has a large impact on the single player game. Also, please release a facebook dragon age spin off, which unlocks new armor for my npcs. I know I can count on you to deliver an immersive interactive story
Don't forget the mobile game as well that will unlock powerful Dragon Shouts Blood Spells for the Dovahkiin Dragon Warden.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I love how he spends a total of three words on actual RPG material with, "stats and stuff."

And that is assuming that "stuff" has anything to do with RPGs.
To be fair, since he is a drone controlled by EA, you can't really expect him to remember to completely discount all RPG elements if the script has not been handed down by his glorious masters.

Cynic

Arcane
This guy, fuck this guy seriously. I think honestly he's the most irritating frustrating fuck to ever have made a game. It's painful to hear him wriggle and squirm out of any real discussion of merit with talking points and vague innuendos. I really hope this third game fucking bombs and the franchise is scrapped. Maybe then he will finally realize he is shit at making games and become a PR spokes person for a bank or someshit, he'd thrive there.

Monocause

Arcane
He also teased the possibility that players might be able to fully customize armor pieces, applying color and types of material (cloth, leather, mail) to armor sets.

Hope that it doesn't resemble the way armor works in Mass Effect 2-3. Also, I like how customising equipment suddenly started to be a feature you can tease the fans with instead of something that is taken for granted.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I like how customising equipment suddenly started to be a feature you can tease the fans with

it's not as simple as you think

back in the day customising armor was simple to implement because rpg characters were simpler

now rpgs and character appearance creation systems are many times more complex so a lot more technical work is required for the deep level of customisation that bioware wants to create

please I know that you take bioware innovation for granted these days but you need to stop being so entitled and think about the level of work they put in from game to game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom