Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age pnp game to also feature DLC.

Andhaira

Arcane
The dragon age pnp game from Green ROnin publishing will be released in boxed sets, each of which will provide 5 lvls of expansion. So basically, boxed set 1 will take characters from lvls 1-5; boxed set 2 will take them from lvls 6-10, etc etc all the way up till level 20.

More info can be found at greenronin.com

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
If it's true, it's going back to the true DnD tradition:

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/dd/dd-bbox.htm
(basic rules)

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/dd/dd-xbox2.htm
(levels 4-14)

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/dd/dd-cbox.htm (levels 15-25)

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/dd/dd-mbox.htm
(levels 26-36)

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/dd/dd-ibox.htm
(immortals :D)

edit: that was a reply to, you guessed it, AndhairaX complaining about what's in the title. I see AndhairaX's post when I click on the thread title on the main page, but don't see it when I refresh the page here.

Ch1ef

Scholar
And i'm like:"if you tell anyone about this i'll burn all your dolls". Oh, sorry guyz, wrong copy-paste :oops:

Andhaira

Arcane
@Elwro: But thats an outdated concept. They had to do that in the old days because of printing limitations and also because they were just getting started with the rpg business. Now, the trend is to have a complete game in the core rules.

This is a dumb move on Green Ronin's part.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
AndhairaX said:
@Elwro: But thats an outdated concept. They had to do that in the old days because of printing limitations and also because they were just getting started with the rpg business.
Sure thing, my links were for nostalgic lulz.
Now, the trend is to have a complete game in the core rules.
I don't think we ever really had this trend. The most successful system, ADnD, always worked differently - to begin playing you already had to buy at least 2 books, and even then you had no setting. Compare it e.g. to Shadowrun or Ars Magica, humongous books filled with content - no wonder they had less commercial success. Nowadays publishers seem to think that a "one-time purchase" is complete no-no; it'd be best if they could somehow force a monthly payment upon the players. Just look at the new Warhammer travesty of a release.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
" to begin playing you already had to buy at least 2 books"

Nope you needed 1. The PHB. The DMG, and the monster manual definitely were logical purchases too unless you wanted to create even more work for yourself as DM.

BlackSun

Educated
"Retro" pnp RPGs are far superior to the crap they put out now a days. I seriously doubt the Dragon Age game will follow a classic rules set type of design though. I am sure it will just be more WoW in pnp form. I could be surprised though I guess.

deuxhero

Arcane
Volourn said:

Nope you needed 1. The PHB. The DMG, and the monster manual definitely were logical purchases too unless you wanted to create even more work for yourself as DM.

MM has nothing much of worth (a few unique monsters, but nothing beyond that) lost from the SRD alone on that part (and having humanoids with class levels, who use the same rules as players, as the primary foe isn't necessarily bad.)

Redeye

Arcane
Volourn said:

So the DM would have to create Saving Throw and To-Hit tables?

I don't recall those being in the PHB.

Items, xp calculator, poison system, etc. could all be dreamed up by the DM.

Well, I suppose the DM could make up TH and save tables, too.

That Assassination table was gay.

(I'm thinking 1E)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"So the DM would have to create Saving Throw and To-Hit tables?"

wut?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom