Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

Yosharian

Arcane
I'm 12 hours in, reached level 19, loving the shit out of this game. Had a quest to save an NPC and failed to save him, and it felt 'right'. Where other games might have slapped the player with a QUEST FAILED pop-up, this was just another way to complete the quest.
Loved that shit in Kingdom Come. Quests don't succeed or fail, there are just different ways of finishing them.
Yes and that's a very apt comparison because I get a lot of KCD vibes when playing this game, even down to the music which I think is a little underrated

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Dragon's Dogma won Codex GotY 2016
Did it really? I don't remember that.
Yes, the Codex ran a special poll at the beginning of 2016 rating all CRPGs in the period 2012 through 2016, and Dragon's Dogma did achieve first place among 2016 games (the year is by Codex standards, meaning it ignored that Dragon's Dogma on PC is a 2016 port of a 2013 revised version of a 2012 game), while second place was won by Fallout 1.5: Resurrection (a 2016 English translation of a 2013 mod for a 1997 game), third place by Dark Souls III, and fourth place by Dungeon Rats.

15468.jpg

Fink

Novice
18 hours in. There are a few minor issues, but if you liked the first game there is no way you won't like this game, unless you are a knee-jerk doomer.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Anyone watched the grigori fight on youtube?
I just did the fight to enter Post-Game, and it definitely seems like a major letdown. It was basically a carbon-copy of Grigori in the first game, only there was zero build-up to it the entire time.In general, the game's "story" takes a nosedive after you finish Vernworth, with barely any semblance of plot. You go to desert city, you do some... things, and suddenly you end up with the Godsbane, kill a giant statue that's chasing after the evil Lord that you know nothing about, and then you fight Grigori. The fight itself is very weak, a single Maelstrom during his vulnerability stage took down 4 healthbars. I'm not even that well geared (just basic staff from the elven town). Not even level 40.

Still love the game but man so far it doesn't quite feel the same as DD1, especially the lack of enemy variety is very noticeable. Between Wolves, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Humans, Lizards and Slimes, there's really not much else. Bunch of reskins on those, but it gets old quick. Exploration is still as incredible as ever.

Here's to hoping the real fun begins in Postgame

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Does anyone know if paying 20k at the bordello activates a side quest?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Still love the game but man so far it doesn't quite feel the same as DD1, especially the lack of enemy variety is very noticeable.
This seems so weird to me. Why didn't they just use all the crap from Dark Arisen? There was pretty decent enemy variety with the expansion.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Still love the game but man so far it doesn't quite feel the same as DD1, especially the lack of enemy variety is very noticeable.
This seems so weird to me. Why didn't they just use all the crap from Dark Arisen? There was pretty decent enemy variety with the expansion.
Or Dragons Dogma Online? I suppose that game had new enemy types too, hadn't it?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Probably two reasons.

1) It takes resources to update the art and animation of the creatures into the new game.
2) Because they want to give people more reason to want to buy DLC that adds stuff in.

Given the number of additions to the game in other ways, I don't feel like it was intentionally hacked out.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Small tip for post-game...

Motherfucker decided to make the entirety of the post-game time limited, and theres no more quicksaves to save you from death. You can still quicksave regularly yourself, but if you die without Wakestones left, you have to start from the beginning of the post-game or any inn-saves you made. Of course, with it being time-sensitive, you wanna rest at Inns as little as possible.

Just lost ~3-4hrs of post-game progress because I purposefully did not rest at an Inn, then got squished by a pus-dragon, and didn't have wakestones to resurrect. Suddenly you get a cut-scene of you waking up half-naked in a hut, looking at the sea with a look of failure on your face.

So.... TL;DR: always carry a Wakestone. And Fuck Itsuno.

Barbarian

Arcane
Game is really fun and addictive. Having a blast with it.

One question about "augments". I have seem to have read somewhere that after you unlock an augment it can used by any of your character of any vocation. It doesn't seem to be the case(i.e: can't give my fighter augment to my archer pawn). I am missing something?

Sentinel

Arcane
Game is really fun and addictive. Having a blast with it.

One question about "augments". I have seem to have read somewhere that after you unlock an augment it can used by any of your character of any vocation. It doesn't seem to be the case(i.e: can't give my fighter augment to my archer pawn). I am missing something?
You can only use augments you've unlocked on your character, regardless of vocation.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Ugh this beggar quest is annoying. I know what I have to do, I just hate waiting for the asshole to move from the statue. I always get bored, run off to do something else then I can't find him later in the day. Guess I'll just fucking stand here and wait.

Terenty

Liturgist
Do monsters fight each other?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom