Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Driftland: The Magic Revival

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It's out now and the steam impressions seem to be pretty positive. But I'm too much of a contrarian to let that be sway me into taking the dive, so I'll wait and see if any Codexers have something to say about the game.

odrzut

Arcane
I bought it cause I'm sucker for flying island settings and Netstorm was one of my favourite games. This is a very slow game, more like Europa Universalis than Netstorm, and I stopped playing because it bored me. Probably will get back to it at some point when I have lots of time.

So far my impressions:
- I played the first 3 campaign missions on the hard difficulty, and at no point I was forced to do something or I will lose, I just maxed out on economy with no pressure from the enemy then I did mission objectives, it was boring
- maybe it was a campaign/tutorial and that's why it was so easy and slow, but they should mark it clearly and allow to skip it if that was the case
- the game seems to be plot-heavy, but the plot is presented in a small text window in the bottom right corner while the game is going on, it makes it easy to misunderstand who is talking to who or to miss some dialogs/mission objectives altogether
- the economy is about building enough houses to have workers that give gold, and enough farms to feed the workers, there's several other resources and you have to scan for minerals, but it's not very important, your bottleneck is usually gold and food
- mana is the dump resource
- there are heroes units requiring micromanagement, the interface to control them seems weird, it's frustrating to use (you put flags marking where they need to do something and wait for them to get to it eventually), maybe I haven't gotten used to it yet
+ the mechanic with joining together islands is interesting and would allow innovative gameplay (if the enemies forced you to make hard choices)
+ the diplomacy is very simplistic (or maybe I haven'g gotten to the interesting bits yet)

Overall the setting seems interesting, some mechanics are nice, the graphics is nice, but the game feels very slow and boring.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
This game is pretty meh at best. You just spend most of the game getting islands and striping them bare from all resources,which are pretty small quantities. The whole economy is pretty meh and boring,it is about managing sliders. The worst part of the game is the combat,it is like majesty games,you hire heroes and send them in to the world and giving baunties. The problem is that the map is a bunch of cut off islands,thus the ai and the path finding are retarded. Also most times the heroes just ignore what you say them to do. Another problem is that you are fighting ais that have the same castles and way to recruit heroes,thus the ai could just spam and recruit enemies the moment you kill them. There is no fucking global progression trough the campaign,you end up doing the same researches and shit as the last game. It is really terrible,would recommend avoiding the game.

Acrux

Arcane
This game was recommended to me as a spiritual successor to Majesty. It's not.

Other than not directly controlling units, there's very little overlap, so fair warning to anyone who might be tempted to buy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom