Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Rats - first impressions and general feedback

Technomancer

Liturgist
Constructs are totally nuts and it is an apotheosis of bad design.
How about the optional trio that guard the thing yet :lol:

Ok, and on the Emperor fight I officially give up on this. So much RNG shit happens here, it is completely unbearable. Time to switch to another game that is actually good.
Heh, skill issue. Shame you didn't check out the discord, I'm sure we could help you with tactics. Overcoming the bullshit game throws at you feels great.

EldarEldrad

Savant
Constructs are totally nuts and it is an apotheosis of bad design.
How about the optional trio that guard the thing yet :lol:
Actually I killed them in "Nice guy" and almost killed'em in "Tough Bastard" by spending almost all fire vials. But this fight required tons of reloads on enemies first moves and I was too exhausted to properly finish it. Tried to go to the Emperor but the tediousness of the save-load win over my patience.

Yeah, I really hate mechanics that heavily rely on save-load.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Rule of thumb is that if you are trying something a bunch of times and needing RNG for it to work, you aren't doing the right thing in the first place.

Technomancer

Liturgist
But this fight required tons of reloads on enemies first moves and I was too exhausted to properly finish it
For me, the key to this puzzle was discovering that you can close door after combat starts which I didn't notice at first. Worked great for dodger since it bought me some time against the crossbow thing which doesn't give a flying fuck about highest achievable dodge rating and crits you to shit. After I found it, it was the question of how to win it with minimum spent resources. For my build it was 2 fire vials and 2 acids.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Untitled.png

My party right after fighting 4 steel constructs. It was tough ride just like every fight staring with Democritus. Constructs are totally nuts and it is an apotheosis of bad design. The only way to kill them is softening up with 1-2 bombs and then hit them into heads or torso to knockdown hoping they won't crit you. Many retries until it worked at last.

Ok, and on the Emperor fight I officially give up on this. So much RNG shit happens here, it is completely unbearable. Time to switch to another game that is actually good.

it's interesting, has anyone ever read one of these types of posts where the conclusion is: "at the end of the day, I don't think I'm very good at this game or am approaching character building or combat tactics appropriately"?

I don't think I've ever seen that as a conclusion, it's always RNG / badgame.

EldarEldrad

Savant
I am a bit emotional about the fact that game owns me, and it looks like I really suck at it, no question about it.

But nevertheless I think DR is much worse than AoD (in general, taking into attention that they are very different from each other)

agris

Arcane
Patron
I am a bit emotional about the fact that game owns me, and it looks like I really suck at it, no question about it.

But nevertheless I think DR is much worse than AoD (in general, taking into attention that they are very different from each other)
good that you can admit defeat, but your opinion of DR is unquestionably colored by the fact that the game got you.

look, you're on your... third attempt? beaten it once? in the true codex fashion, you are well on your way to playing for 1337 hours before calling it shite.

EldarEldrad

Savant
Yeah, I finished it on "Nice Guy" already and it was... easy enough. But "Tough Bastard" is really tough in its second half. At least until Democritus I had zero problematic fights.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
it's interesting, has anyone ever read one of these types of posts where the conclusion is: "at the end of the day, I don't think I'm very good at this game or am approaching character building or combat tactics appropriately"?

I don't think I've ever seen that as a conclusion, it's always RNG / badgame.

I would suggest that people who understand that gambling is not a good Idea and who understand probabilities are prone to not like systems in which you will loose, even if optimized, sometimes due to pure randomness are simply just not liking a game, in other words, find it *bad*.

As bad is an opinion, not a fact, it's not surprising that people don't exclaim "I am bad, but the game is good" as that is utterly retarded.
I see no benefit in games with RNG and the more there is, the less likely I am to enjoy the game. I'm not offended at the occasional low chance dice roll, it's bearable like it's in PnP or in Warhammer TT which I play but some developers just make everything so random you would be better playing Yahtzee.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
And who is saying that anyone’s conclusion should be that?
it was an exaggeration about what you wrote, people should say but don't. You are clever, you don't need me to explain this and you also don't need to be offended.

agris

Arcane
Patron
And who is saying that anyone’s conclusion should be that?
it was an exaggeration about what you wrote, people should say but don't. You are clever, you don't need me to explain this and you also don't need to be offended.
i think your point is that it's reasonable to dislike DR because of its fundamental usage of RNG, and not be butt-blasted about it? no disagreement there.

my point isn't that DR should be celebrated by those who dislike it, but rather: I think there's something telling about the human psyche that struggling and saying its a bad game often go hand-in-hand.

Saduj

Arcane
My party right after fighting 4 steel constructs.
I know I'm the one who suggested you posted your character sheet but I got nothing for you as far as the build goes. :oops: I always play with a four person party, which is probably easier or at least gives you more tactical options, so I'm not very familiar with how high your skills should be. Looks like you're putting all your points into combat skills so it isn't a case of trying to do too much.

How is your gear? One thing I like to do is bring Hieron along for two easy fights in order to get just enough skill points to level up his crafting once, which unlocks steel. You get a lot of good gear towards the very end of the game but before that, having a crafter at level 6 is very useful. And by the end of the game, I'm still using a few crafted items. Not sure how viable it is to bring Hieron along with a 2 person party though. I would temporarily skip the optional fight against the scorpions down the cliff form the ant caves so I could use it as one of the easy Hieron fights. The fight right after you meet him is also simple enough to use him, at least with a four person party. At that point in the game, he'd be subbing in for a Quintus in my party so not a big deal.

Main Char, Marcus, Yngvar (reqs 9 charisma) and Roxana is a very tough team. Ardomir (8 charisma, I think) is pretty good early game and Ismail is pretty solid until you get Yngvar. I would use Marcus over Ismail if I had to choose though. Also, if you're not putting points into alchemy, it helps to run through the parts of the dungeon you already cleared once you get Ismail. He can harvest alchemy ingredients that missed due to low skill in alchemy. A bit of a slog but worth it. If you are going to make a high char character, I think sword and board is the best option for someone with lower physical attributes. Won't be your best fighter but is very survivable.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
This game rules so much that I'm worried that I may have been too harsh about Age of Decadence, though I'm still about 80% sure that it was awful. This should have more sales though, when I was looking around online for info and strats it seemed like basically no one played it. What a travesty. Shame on everyone who bought gay shit like larian / bioware / bethesda games and skipped dungeon rats.

Cologno

Educated
It didn't get much coverage? I'd never heard of it and I thought I'd had thoroughly trawled Steam for every decent tac-strat game I could find. Guess not. Oh I see after searching now, I probably passed over because of the "mostly positive" rating. Is it really any good?

Cologno

Educated
Shit, okay, I get it, got it lol. Thanks. Did some cursory reading it doesn't look horribly complicated to get started.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom