Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Durrr, Jagged Alliance 2 combat is HARD

okashii

Novice
Stone: do you mean this mod? http://www.jacenter.pl/photogallery.php?album_id=35

it looks very nice but from what I read it got suspended for unknown amount of time and its all in russian

plus I totally agree with Livonya modding 1.13 to your personal taste is awesome

MisterStone

Arcane
Wow, I had no idea that that existed. Sounds pretty cool, although it being in commie-speak is kind of a problem. :)

Still, I think a remake of Wasteland itself would be cool... I always felt that the design team had big dreams for that game that were cut short by technical and development limitations.

The_scorpion

Liturgist
spectre said:
And I was not even referring to the highest setting for bobby ray, or setting it above standard value. Even in vanilla ja2 one can find good stuff for sale earlier in Bobby Ray's used stuff. Oh wait, I didn't get the memo, is it an exploit now?

oh noes, you're not only a horribly bad player, you're also a retard :?

Bobby ray in the original game is scaled to progression in such a way that you can use it best for restocking on stuff you've run out of. Think of mechanical kits, they're rare in vanilla, or explosives (Devin not around) or heavy weaponry, also attachments.

And yes, that inclues used items. The only difference for used items is that only some specific items appear there, that's why a lesser mind ends up thinking he might find a gem in there. It's a simple illusion, but it is scaled nevertheless in the same way.

i would't have commented on it if not the majority of your postings (not limited to this forum) had been so ultra lame ass.
Give the people that are new to the game some room to explore other things than exploits and self-delusions or you'll be seriously spoiling their fun.

(this also extends to your advice on squad-building. 4-5 characters? a medic, a good militia trainer, 2-3 good fighters... that'll only work on novice mode unless you restrict yourself to the same cheapeast mercs around. That'll keep people from using most of the non-cheapo guys in early game and as their core team and thus massivly restrict the fun moments. Also, do roles matter much? what about skills?)

spectre

Arcane
Touching. Are you upset about video games too?
Sorry for not being hardcore enough for ya.

The_scorpion

Liturgist
it's not about being hardcore or not, i couldn't care less what you're doing in your mother's basement, but i don't want you to make it seem to potential ja2 gamers that ja2 is all about exploits and retardation

(yes i fuckin love this game. And you're a shame to it. )

Severian Silk

MisterStone said:
I'm not sure that a direct conversion would really work, but even if it doesn't work prefectly it would still be pretty cool. :cool:

Well, I meant a direct conversion in the sense that the map locations and plot/dialogue scripts would be converted faithfully. Weapon balancing and other stat modifications would need to be done from scratch.

The main problem I forsee is that WL has a lot of set pieces/map objects that have no equivalent art in JA2. SirTech unfortunately didn't provide examples of the necessary camera/lighting/material settings in order to correctly match the existing artwork. It always annoys me when mods have sprites that are obvioulsy new and don't fit with the rest. (Some of the vehicle sprites are the worst, as the camera angles are *way* off.)

MisterStone

Arcane
Assnuggets said:
MisterStone said:
I'm not sure that a direct conversion would really work, but even if it doesn't work prefectly it would still be pretty cool. :cool:

Well, I meant a direct conversion in the sense that the map locations and plot/dialogue scripts would be converted faithfully. Weapon balancing and other stat modifications would need to be done from scratch.

The main problem I forsee is that WL has a lot of set pieces/map objects that have no equivalent art in JA2. SirTech unfortunately didn't provide examples of the necessary camera/lighting/material settings in order to correctly match the existing artwork. It always annoys me when mods have sprites that are obvioulsy new and don't fit with the rest. (Some of the vehicle sprites are the worst, as the camera angles are *way* off.)

Honestly, I can't think of city maps from the earlier part of the game that couldn't be done with JA2. Er, wait, maybe the outdoors maps? Not enough sand and rocks in JA maybe? I dunno... Still, the trashed up looking houses and so on would be just fine for the WL cities, especially Las Vegas. You might have to be creative with some parts, though.

And with regards to the conversion... the problem with WL dialogue is that there is so little of it. That was the games one big failing IMHO along with non-persistent quests. I think that if WL were to be adapted some fleshing out here and there would need to be done.

Annonchinil

Scholar
All right its driving me nuts, my mercs seem to be moving backwards for some reason and I right clicked on the bottom interface and can't get back into normal mode. Other than that I won my 1st battle! Any tips for what to do in the game in general?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Winning the first battle you mean in the starter town right? Find a civilian in that zone and hand her the letter. She'll lead you to the rebel hideout.

You'll pick up your first local recruit in there, Ira.
She's a poor marksman but she's decent doctor and militia trainer with high wisdom.

Some players like to train up the locals as their 'core' troopers since they cost nothing.

Paid mercs demand more pay as they gain Experience. So it's not a bad idea to pick very inexperienced, low tier mercs with high Wisdom to shape into elite squad. Use them often and they'll eventually be as effective as their elite counterparts. I also notice the younger mercs have better physical stats like AGI/DEX/STR.

I'll just drop some potential candidates for you to develop:
Fox, Igor, Barry & Grunty

Also, grenades are good while stun grenades are crazy effective. So when you get a hold of grenade launcher, make sure you save the ammo for those tough to kill elite 'grayshirts'.

Late game material: Have a mortar guy & his crew covered with 1 heavy gunner on the back line waiting for the right target to strike. The perfect mortar guy is probably Grizzly. His crew should be carrying nothing but mortar shells since they're just pack mules(cheap locals will do the trick). With a mortar crew, my crew take so little hits since snipers are really good at spotting entrenched targets.

LCJr.

Erudite
Annonchinil said:
All right any advice on begenning a game, especially what mercenaries to purchase for the 1st mission?

Might as well throw in my 2 cents. Assuming your new to JA2 my first piece of advice is don't play with 1.13 or any other mod. Play the original the way the developers made it and see why people like it enough to still be playing and modding it almost 10 years later.

For a starting team I'd suggest going with one mid-level merc with something better than a pistol. For day ops someone like Sidney and for night someone like Stephen. Not saying take those exact mercs but someone in the same price and equipment range. Except Raven as her price skyrockets as she levels making her hard to afford early on. Then fill out your team with a couple cheaper mercs that have the skills you think you'll need.

Main thing is play the game and find out which you like and which ones work well together.

The_scorpion

Liturgist
Annonchinil said:
All right its driving me nuts, my mercs seem to be moving backwards for some reason and I right clicked on the bottom interface and can't get back into normal mode. Other than that I won my 1st battle! Any tips for what to do in the game in general?

the mercs walking backwards is often fixed by simply having them strafe-walk a couple of tiles. (alt+movement)

MisterStone

Arcane
The_scorpion said:
Annonchinil said:

the mercs walking backwards is often fixed by simply having them strafe-walk a couple of tiles. (alt+movement)

Yeah, I've had the same problem and solution. It happens when you alt-Tab out of the game then go back to the game. Just alt-leftclicking a couple of times seems to fix it, like Scorpion said

LCJr.

Erudite
Regeneration Booster syringes. Takes a few turns/minutes to reach full effect. You'll find some and there's a place you'll find where you can sometimes buy them.

Aside from that the best you can do is bandage them to reduce wound penalties.

Severian Silk

MisterStone said:
Honestly, I can't think of city maps from the earlier part of the game that couldn't be done with JA2. Er, wait, maybe the outdoors maps? Not enough sand and rocks in JA maybe? I dunno... Still, the trashed up looking houses and so on would be just fine for the WL cities, especially Las Vegas. You might have to be creative with some parts, though.

I remember a location with a train and some teepees. The giant robots also would be kinda tough.

MisterStone said:
And with regards to the conversion... the problem with WL dialogue is that there is so little of it. That was the games one big failing IMHO along with non-persistent quests. I think that if WL were to be adapted some fleshing out here and there would need to be done.

Yeah, I don't remember there being a lot of dialogue. I'm also not interested in writing any of my own.

SkeleTony

Augur
Jaesun said:
Question: If you turn Sci-Fi mode off... do you still have a reason to enter the Mines?

Only to grab up the silver nuggets which you can auto-convert to a few thousand in cash, as well as a few pieces of gear in some of the mines(nothing better than a tool kit or TNT IIRC).

Annonchinil

Scholar
One more Q, I reloaded an SMG and now it fires single shot, how do I set it back to burst?

Annonchinil

Scholar
Thanks.

BTW I took Dressen (sp?) is it worth going back to the starter town or searching Dressen for the priest (didn't find him at the bar)?

Higher Game

Arcane
Annonchinil said:
Thanks.

BTW I took Dressen (sp?) is it worth going back to the starter town or searching Dressen for the priest (didn't find him at the bar)?

You need to find and talk to the priest (either in the bar or the church), then go back to the starting town, and you can then get Dmitri, a crazy underrated free merc. He's a throwing expert, so he is very good at night stealth missions with knives, or he can hurl grenades very well too. It's just his forgetful trait that makes him a problem sometimes. I think he's great, though.

MisterStone

Arcane
Is the "bloody throwing knife" I found in Omerta significant somehow? Or can any knife be blood if it has been used on someone?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
bloodies knives = used throwing knives. nothing special really. I'm just a little irked why they even bothered with the distinction.

Oh after Drassen, you have plenty of options.
It's advisable to:
1. Solve the Helicopter Pilot side quest first.
A little bit of talking around the airport NPCs should indicate that the pilot's hiding somewhere in swampy areas. So check those Swamp zones around Drassen for him. (Tip: You need 50 leadership to convince him to work for you)

2. Taking over the SAM site would allow the pilot to pick up your team and drop them somewhere else for a fee. This is a good method of saving stamina and cutting travel time. Because attacking a town after 3 days of track suck balls.

3. Oh, check your email and see if MERC is open. They're cheap and payments can be made at a later date. Gasket is an excellent mechanic. Too bad he doesn't start with a tool kit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom