Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dust Evolution: Dust Tactics Video Game - Kickstarter Now LIVE!

Ebonsword

Arcane

Ebonsword

Arcane
The Kickstarter launched today: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dustevolution/dustevolution

Dust Evolution will be genre defining, featuring a combat mechanic never seen before. While it is a multiplayer online RTS, it should be described as a Command Simulator. In Evolution, as the battle unfolds your strategy "OPORD" sets the stage. Your actual tactics, impacted by terrain, weather, comms, crew or soldier experience, play out in real time, over real distances - that's right, an 88 punches through a Sherman at 1.8km. No little 'health bars' in Dust Evolution. Combat commanders in 1945 saw no little health bars over units under their command.

Developing a genre-breaking title takes more than a statement or boast. Dust.Evolution has approached this project questioning every aspect of typical RTS titles. From camera view to real-distancing and target acquisition challenges - we rethought everything and started over. You may look at the old-school perspective game-view in the video and feel you have the game figured out. But think again, that was a pre-alpha pathfinding test. We can't show you the camera system yet, but it's gorgeous.

Holy hell, full steam ahead on the hype train, apparently!

And I love the last bit: "We can't show it what the game will look like, but, trust us, it will look great!" Ha, ha, ha! No.

And they don't really make a particularly compelling argument for why I would want to play a Dust Tactics game that seems to play pretty much entirely unlike Dust Tactics.

Last edited:

omega21

Arcane
I don't know, I have a soft spot for "weird wars" stuff, and I like the art style, but I don't back shit these days.

1) NO ENGINE/GAMEPLAY
2) no experienced dev team

Ebonsword

Arcane
So, it's been a week, and they're up to $57K of their $650K goal.

People are smarter than I thought--they're actually seeing this project for the joke that it is.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Ha! Ha! Man, this is really pretty sad. Fifteen days to go, and they haven't even broken $60K yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom