Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Early Personal Reviews/Impressions

Norfleet

Id like to think it would be simple to fix the AP and initiative balance with a few value tweaks, but I havent been following the game through its various beta builds.
Well, I think I may have found the button I need to tweak to eliminate pretty much everything that was pissing me off about the AP/initiative thing.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I still don't get why enemies are so insanely fast, though. How many freaking APs do they HAVE? I fought an enemy that was apparently able to run ALL the way from outside the visible radius, then attack...then run to another team member, attack THAT one, too, and then run to a THIRD person and ATTACK HIM ALSO. How many APs would that cost? And WHY WOULD IT DO THAT?
Strictly speaking enemies do have AP and if human, have similar Combat Speed values to what your Rangers can have. Animal enemies will often have a very high Combat Speed stat, allowing them to close distance very quickly.

If you're seeing this in human enemies where they're able to move obscene distances, i.e. 30-50 spaces, that's almost certainly a bug (which we're aware of).
Can/when is it possible to expect AI enhancing patch? The faster running/skill using fan mod fixes my biggest grudge with game, but I want to experience combat as developers intended it to be.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Are the enemies targeting players at random?
I'm seeing literal example of early boss that just ignores low HP ranger after shooting him below 10 - and fire 4 shots at random targets instead.
'I'M GONNA KILL YOU RANGERS!'
'BY HURTING YOUR FOUR OTHER FRIENDS INSTEAD OF FINISHING YOU OFF!'

Lhynn

Arcane
I'm seeing literal example of early boss that just ignores low HP ranger after shooting him below 10 - and fire 4 shots at random targets instead.
It actually makes sense, the boss isnt trying to hurt the party as much as hes trying to survive, why would he waste his time? I know i as a player leave incapacitated enemies for last in any game i play.

RK47

Patron
It actually makes sense, the boss isnt trying to hurt the party as much as hes trying to survive, why would he waste his time? I know i as a player leave incapacitated enemies for last in any game i play.

I still move that ranger just fine, can shoot like twice a turn at point blank at 7 HP, I wasn't incapacitated. Are you saying my ranger would just drop automatically below 10 HP?

You ok, buddy? I don't understand this reasoning at all.

Lhynn

Arcane
I still move that ranger just fine, can shoot like twice a turn at point blank at 7 HP, I wasn't incapacitated. Are you saying my ranger would just drop automatically below 10 HP?

You ok, buddy? I don't understand this reasoning at all.
No, i got you wrong, i thought you meant he was bleeding out, sorry.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
I've only played for a few hours, and taking things slow to familiarize myself with the systems, but I really like it so far. It's ugly as hell, but it genuinely grabbed me within an hour unlike most games. I like the writing and exploration, and the little combat I've had was pretty fun, too. Not very interesting, tactically, but it feels good. The feedback on hits, the way you lose control over NPCs, etc. In summary, it's got my attention and I see much potential. Playing more tomorrow.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It seems the last wrecker cutter has seen through your ambush!

Must be radiant AI at work :troll:

RK47

Patron
It seems the last wrecker cutter has seen through your ambush!

Must be radiant AI at work :troll:
No, radiant AI is when the last gunner refused to budge from ambush position. And there were no other tactical options other than taking that ambush attack and finish him off.
I waited for like 20 turns before telling him, 'You won' and then blowing his head off from point blank.

Norfleet

You shouldn't set everyone to ambush like that, they all fire at the first thing in sight and waste a ton of ammo. Plus they don't gain bonus AP for it next turn. Set only some, enough to kill one guy, because you'll only ever kill one guy, unless you layer your ambush defenses with weapons of greatly different ranges so that the first guy to hit the first wall and die will not set off the others. It's a lot like old TW2002 Q-cannon programming, where you would layer your planets to fire sequentially and successively increasing blasts to kill targets of differing strengths so that a single massive blast wasn't wasted to kill a moth.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Agreed, this is wasting ammo. The positioning also needs work. Also the wrecking crew compound almost seemed to be made for easy ambush possibilities.

The most fun ambushes are when my blunt force hero with 10Str and 7 blunt, hits an enemy on the head for 100+ damage. That will teach them not to get in my face.

But things like this make me want to program AI for games in stead of bloody boring business shit.

Norfleet

The most fun ambushes are when my blunt force hero with 10Str and 7 blunt, hits an enemy on the head for 100+ damage. That will teach them not to get in my face.
Nah, the most fun ambush is when I notice that one last enemy has yet to enter the killzone, so I flip on burstfire and ambush, and the final enemy rushes into the killzone, triggers the ambush, and SPAS-12 shotgun barrage slaughters all 5 healthy enemies in one volley.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom