Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Child of Malkav

Erudite
This back and forth over graphics and atmosphere is pointless.
Is the gameplay the same? Has that been altered? Has it been improved? How?
I haven't played neither the original not the remake but I do plan to play the original this year and as a general rule I prefer the originals over remakes as I don't think anyone except the original devs have any right or vision to remake a game of their own.

Caim

Arcane
I suspect that the system requirements for the DLC listed on Steam are just a direct copy of the main game, otherwise the DLC will be 60GB big.

For contrast, Steam says that Elden Ring has 50GB installed on my system right now.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Is the gameplay the same? Has that been altered? Has it been improved? How?
I haven't played neither the original not the remake but I do plan to play the original this year and as a general rule I prefer the originals over remakes as I don't think anyone except the original devs have any right or vision to remake a game of their own.
It's the same game, same experience. The polar opposite of the Resident Evil remakes for example.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
IIrc they added some side quest and some newer armor sets but yeah gameplay wise it's the same game

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
People here whined about the Metroid Prime remake too. Same exact game, but they hate it because it looks good. Ignore fuggo fetishists here who have to have everything look like crap for it to be good.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

No it isn't.

Even if the gameplay was exactly the same i wouldn't play this bullshit just for the nu-music alone.

And don't forget we live in the age of ESG now a Bloodborne remake is gonna be filled with niggers and troons on top of everything.

REhorror

Educated
Wonder what happened to the whole From separating from Bamco thing, since Bamco still publishes ER's SoTER.

All is good.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Amidst dire industry layoffs, FromSoftware's Miyazaki says his studio is 'very blessed' to have long-term hires now taking director roles: 'games can be directed by others, not only myself'

By Harvey Randall
published about 1 hour ago

"I'm aware of the situation in the games industry, [it's] quite harrowing."

Hidetaka Miyazaki, president of Fromsoftware.

(Image credit: Fromsoft)

Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree is coming—and it's a big'un. Massive, expansion-level DLCs feel increasingly rarer in a climate flooded with live service microtransactions and seasonal passes. Personally, I'm just excited to get my grubby little mitts on another slice of FromSoftware's pedigree.
It's also potentially a function of how FromSoftware does business, focusing on their popular niche rather than bending the knee to wider trends—which also extends to the recent mass layoffs, which are currently in vogue in the name of "agile and more focused" studios, whatever that means.

In a recent interview with IGN (thanks, GamesRadar), Elden Ring's director Hidetaka Miyazaki touched on how dire things have been for game developers in 2023—a trend that is mercilessly continuing into early 2024.

"I'm aware of the situation in the games industry, [it's] quite harrowing," Miyazaki says—though despite some murmurings of underpay, FromSoftware appears to have kept cold-blooded layoffs at arm's length. "I think it's difficult for me to understand the exact circumstances there. I won't speak to those in specifics," he says.

In terms of FromSoftware's philosophy, he remarks: "I think we are very blessed in the way that we have a lot of keen up-and-coming developers, who've grown [and] developed within the studio," celebrating how some have "reached these director positions". He cites Armored Core 6 as a recent example, a game directed by Masaru Yamamura (who was also a lead game designer on Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice).

"We have several of these up-and-coming directors who we're able to delegate these projects to, and we're able to have multiple projects on the go at once." Miyazaki seems to believe in keeping, training, and promoting game developers as long-term investments. "What I foresee in this climate (at least for us) is a FromSoftware where games can be directed by others, not only myself … I do see this as a time for us to continue to grow and continue to cultivate this talent, and [release] these games for as long as we can."

That's not a rare philosophy for Japanese studios to take—although it's one backed up by law, namely far stricter conditions to justify layoffs. That's not to say Miyazaki would give a bunch of people the boot if given the chance, far from it. After all, multiple things can be true at once. Not to mention the ways in which some Japanese companies try to skirt around said laws can be pretty cruel and unusual.

According to a Forbes report from 2015, Konami was accused of relocating developers to "punishment jobs" like janitorial detail. I am willing to bet that FromSoftware probably isn't plonking mops in its underperforming employee's hands. And considering how well Armored Core 6 did, its philosophies appear to be paying off.

Loyalty, trust, training. Compare that with the exclusively utilitarian approach of Western businesses.

Last edited:

Crayll

Liturgist
For the 'DLC only level up system' I wouldn't be surprised if they just port over the prayer beads system from Sekiro rather than do any kind of true level scaling. Would give even maxed out characters the ability to hunt for upgrades and let players play through at a lower power level if they want.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I don't care what it is I'm gonna get all of it, all of the offensive power. If there's another Malenia incident (who am I kidding of course it will be) this time I'll be ready. Hoarfrost stomp, night spells, fingerprint shield, Sonaf, mohg's spear ash of war, the ash of war from the fallingstar beast weapon, sleep pots, rot pots and others. Gonna have to through my inventory and uh "recall the arts of war".

Silva

Arcane
Something wonky in the setting is the role of the runes that compose the Elden Ring.

With the exception of Death, the others lack any meaning to the world. One would expect concepts like Life, Death, Time, Space, Order, Chaos, etc. But nope.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Is it that weird that I enjoy the combat/interactivity of these games rather than the level design?
No
After all it's the aspect that most people nowadays consider being the best thing about these games
It's just that it's objectively not the best thing about them

Dark Souls 2 ... has a lot of ghetto design
Such as?
Bosses were very well designed
lol
Some bosses are nice, but most are just rollslop r1 spam galore

Sure it would hurt DD2 sales - though perhaps not by much, as I don't see much overlap between audiences
What makes you think that?
Soulsborne
>originated in the heyday of the 7th gen
>established a specific and lauded reputation from the get go
>steadily increased it's popularity and success through regular game releases over the past decade
>each game tries to cater to the expectations of their growing audience

>aesthetics and tone are a mishmash of various fantasy ips beloved by the game's director
>unconventional storytelling and vague worldbuilding
>world map is essentially a collection of "dungeons" and level design is built primarly for combat encounters
>greater emphasis on equipment over character building (stats, skills, etc.)
>simplistic, yet adequate, combat mechanics and enemy design

DD
>released at the tail end of the 7th gen
>said hardware could barely run the game
>the game itself was half finished at best
>disregarded by most as Capcom's poor Skyrim clone
>aside from ports and a japan only mmo that was shitcanned after 3 years, it got no other releases to establish the IP outside it's cult following
>2 years ago almost everyone thought the IP was dead and buried
>both the original game and the sequel are essentially the game's director dream DnD game, not trying to cater to fan expectations much but rather trying to fullfill a very specific vision

>aesthetics and tone are straight out of classic DnD, minor inspirations from other fantasy ips
>traditional storytelling and worldbuilding
>world map and level design like classic jRPG's and Zelda, built to echo a sense of adventure
>greater emphasis on character building (stats, skills, etc.) over equipment
>intricate and multilayered combat mechanics and enemy design

Really the only similarities between the two is that they're both open-world, jARPG's
Sure there's players from both audiences that might play both game
But the differences in game experience are too great for these two audiences to "mix" that easily

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Really the only similarities between the two is that they're both open-world, jARPG's
Sure there's players from both audiences that might play both game
But the differences in game experience are too great for these two audiences to "mix" that easily
I think there's a bit more similarity than that. Great combat, great boss fights, challenging gameplay, dark atmosphere, a real sense of adventure. That's why I love both. If you're a Soulsborne fan but can't into Dragon's Dogma I would think you're a weirdo.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Something wonky in the setting is the role of the runes that compose the Elden Ring.

With the exception of Death, the others lack any meaning to the world. One would expect concepts like Life, Death, Time, Space, Order, Chaos, etc. But nope.
Also, you should be getting Great Runes from some of the Tarnished you slay. Like Vyke, who had two of them.

Deflowerer

Arcane

Amidst dire industry layoffs, FromSoftware's Miyazaki says his studio is 'very blessed' to have long-term hires now taking director roles: 'games can be directed by others, not only myself'

By Harvey Randall
published about 1 hour ago

"I'm aware of the situation in the games industry, [it's] quite harrowing."

Hidetaka Miyazaki, president of Fromsoftware.

(Image credit: Fromsoft)

Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree is coming—and it's a big'un. Massive, expansion-level DLCs feel increasingly rarer in a climate flooded with live service microtransactions and seasonal passes. Personally, I'm just excited to get my grubby little mitts on another slice of FromSoftware's pedigree.
It's also potentially a function of how FromSoftware does business, focusing on their popular niche rather than bending the knee to wider trends—which also extends to the recent mass layoffs, which are currently in vogue in the name of "agile and more focused" studios, whatever that means.

In a recent interview with IGN (thanks, GamesRadar), Elden Ring's director Hidetaka Miyazaki touched on how dire things have been for game developers in 2023—a trend that is mercilessly continuing into early 2024.

"I'm aware of the situation in the games industry, [it's] quite harrowing," Miyazaki says—though despite some murmurings of underpay, FromSoftware appears to have kept cold-blooded layoffs at arm's length. "I think it's difficult for me to understand the exact circumstances there. I won't speak to those in specifics," he says.

In terms of FromSoftware's philosophy, he remarks: "I think we are very blessed in the way that we have a lot of keen up-and-coming developers, who've grown [and] developed within the studio," celebrating how some have "reached these director positions". He cites Armored Core 6 as a recent example, a game directed by Masaru Yamamura (who was also a lead game designer on Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice).

"We have several of these up-and-coming directors who we're able to delegate these projects to, and we're able to have multiple projects on the go at once." Miyazaki seems to believe in keeping, training, and promoting game developers as long-term investments. "What I foresee in this climate (at least for us) is a FromSoftware where games can be directed by others, not only myself … I do see this as a time for us to continue to grow and continue to cultivate this talent, and [release] these games for as long as we can."

That's not a rare philosophy for Japanese studios to take—although it's one backed up by law, namely far stricter conditions to justify layoffs. That's not to say Miyazaki would give a bunch of people the boot if given the chance, far from it. After all, multiple things can be true at once. Not to mention the ways in which some Japanese companies try to skirt around said laws can be pretty cruel and unusual.

According to a Forbes report from 2015, Konami was accused of relocating developers to "punishment jobs" like janitorial detail. I am willing to bet that FromSoftware probably isn't plonking mops in its underperforming employee's hands. And considering how well Armored Core 6 did, its philosophies appear to be paying off.

Loyalty, trust, training. Compare that with the exclusively utilitarian approach of Western businesses.

It's called Japanese labor market. Also means that people have shittier pay (particularly in junior ranks the tech pay is absolutely miserable there and coders are considered almost blue collar tier) and when looking at the overall labor market, there's a much stronger bifurcation between people who have full-time jobs and those who slave away at "part-time" jobs because only way you can counter rigid labor laws as a company is to be more conservative with recruiting full-time positions. The stability comes at a price.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom