Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

Geckabor

Savant
PB is that guy from school you knew that seemed to often get bad grades and then suddenly ace a test that everyone else failed. It's really hard to understand what's going on with them.

PB is that guy from school you knew that seemed to often get bad grades and then suddenly ace a test that everyone else failed. It's really hard to understand what's going on with them.
I thought it was more like that guy that everyone thought would become a genius or the CEO of some big tech company and then 15 years later turns out to be the homeless alcoholic begging for few coins in front of a grocery store.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Risen 3 does the same thing with a corruption spreading through the world from the invasion of an otherworldly threat, except it's a shadow army instead of purple aliums, and it does the same shtick with the protag being infected with space AIDS and gradually losing his humanity. The basic setup is near-identical, except that SoyJax has a goblinoid son and wife while Risen3guy has a big-titted sister.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Risen 3 does the same thing with a corruption spreading through the world from the invasion of an otherworldly threat, except it's a shadow army instead of purple aliums, and it does the same shtick with the protag being infected with space AIDS and gradually losing his humanity. The basic setup is near-identical, except that SoyJax has a goblinoid son and wife while Risen3guy has a big-titted sister.
What Risen 3 did to Patty is unforgivable :argh:

JDR13

Arcane
Oooh... I almost forgot bout them tiddies.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
What Risen 3 did to Patty is unforgivable :argh:
still preferable to what elex 2 did to caja lol

JBro

Arbiter
Risen 2 and 3 are so fucking weird. You clearly play as a different guy in all 3 games, but they mention shit you did in the first 2 and Patty completely changes in all 3 games. I don't know why Risen 2 wasn't just a different IP. Taken as an unrelated pirate RPG, it was actually pretty fun. Made me want another pirate RPG from them that includes sailing and shit.

JDR13

Arcane
Risen 2 and 3 are so fucking weird. You clearly play as a different guy in all 3 games, but they mention shit you did in the first 2 and Patty completely changes in all 3 games. I don't know why Risen 2 wasn't just a different IP. Taken as an unrelated pirate RPG, it was actually pretty fun. Made me want another pirate RPG from them that includes sailing and shit.
Same guy in the first two, they just grew his hair out in Risen 2.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You should play Vendetta.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
possibly_retarded.png

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Yep, as expected the combat is broken way beyond Elex 1 level. Once you get a shotgun and the many, many levels required to use it, you can basically stick it in the face of any enemy and blow them away :lol:

Combined with the instant reload trick, it makes for some hilarious fights. I happen to like it but with "gamers" being such balancefags recently, I'm surprised they haven't nerfed the crap out of this yet.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yep, as expected the combat is broken way beyond Elex 1 level. Once you get a shotgun and the many, many levels required to use it, you can basically stick it in the face of any enemy and blow them away :lol:
So p. much the exact same deal as with all the previous PB games.

In E1 I went from a struggle bus ride with wimpy clubs and chainswords to a faceroll god as soon as I had the stats to use the Redeemer. Which was btw way more broken than some stupid shotgun in E2.

Ppl endlessly bitching about E2 being worse than E1 have no idea what they're talking about. E2 is worse because it's almost exactly the same.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

In E1 I went from a struggle bus ride with wimpy clubs and chainswords to a faceroll god as soon as I had the stats to use the Redeemer. Which was btw way more broken than some stupid shotgun in E2.

Ppl endlessly bitching about E2 being worse than E1 have no idea what they're talking about. E2 is worse because it's almost exactly the same.

No, in the first game enemies didn't just stand there and wait to get blasted. But yes you were pretty much a faceroll god once you get the flamethrower.

E2 is worse because it does everything the same or worse than the first game and not a single thing better.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

E2 is worse because it does everything the same or worse than the first game and not a single thing better.
Upgradeable jetpack is infinitely better than in Elex 1. Also faction choice is wider and backstabbing options fun.

There are only 3 factions, the others are like mini-factions you can only join later. And the best one, the Clerics, has been reduced to shit.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
It has come to my attention that no matter how retarded Codexers are, and what pieces of shit they defend, they will never be Reddit-retarded :lol:

1677480126377.png

>>I bought ELEX 2 thinking it was the first one.
>>ELEX 2
>>first one

Peachcurl

Cipher
Upgradeable jetpack is infinitely better than in Elex 1. Also faction choice is wider and backstabbing options fun.
It would be infinitely better if they made the ultimate upgrade available before the game ends. But yeah, it's pretty fun.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It would be infinitely better if they made the ultimate upgrade available before the game ends. But yeah, it's pretty fun.
The one that gives you infinity fuel is completely overpowered and would probably break the game. That's why they give it to you after the end, as a form of curiosity, to fly around and explore the world from bizarre angles.

If there ever is Elex 3, Jax will certainly lose it in the intro scene, together with all his gear and exp levels.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
The one that gives you infinity fuel is completely overpowered and would probably break the game. That's why they give it to you after the end, as a form of curiosity, to fly around and explore the world from bizarre angles.

If there ever is Elex 3, Jax will certainly lose it in the intro scene, together with all his gear and exp levels.

And his memory. And his personality. And his looks. And everyone else's looks.

Peachcurl

Cipher
I dunno. Fights became trivial much earlier than the endgame. Also, fighting in the air was cool for the first few fights, but it quickly becomes obvious how glitchy and awkward it is. Eventually (i.e., after most jetpack updates are applied), fuel consumption isn't a big limit on combat balance. The only thing that is effectively limited is high-speed, long-distance travel, and I simply can't see the reason for that.

Theoretically, I agree that infinite fuel might be a problem. But not with the existing systems and balance. And if you already start to fix the combat, I don't see any fundamental roadblocks to make it fun and competitive even with infinite fuel.

Of course, along with another memory loss. :D

JDR13

Arcane

No, in the first game enemies didn't just stand there and wait to get blasted. But yes you were pretty much a faceroll god once you get the flamethrower.

E2 is worse but not for those reasons. It's worse because the endgame is a horrendous slog. The entire last chapter is literally nothing but one combat encounter after another with purple aliens.

They seriously could have cut out the last 15-20% of the game and it would have been better for it. Most of PB's games drag towards the end, but E2 took it to a new level.

Konjad

Patron

E2 is worse but not for those reasons. It's worse because the endgame is a horrendous slog. The entire last chapter is literally nothing but one combat encounter after another with purple aliens.

They seriously could have cut out the last 15-20% of the game and it would have been better for it. Most of PB's games drag towards the end, but E2 took it to a new level.
I killed most of purple aliens around the whole map much earlier so it was quite quick for me :M

But yeah, overall all PB games are shit at the end, from the first Gothic to the last ELEX. They always try to lengthen the game at the end by adding annoying dungeons with nothing but hundreds of enemies to kill or traps to jump over.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
E2 is worse but not for those reasons. It's worse because the endgame is a horrendous slog. The entire last chapter is literally nothing but one combat encounter after another with purple aliens
Is this your first PB rodeo, little padawan?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom