Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elhoim's Interfaces Main Thread

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
OK, this is going towards it´s final form. I´ll keep the old distribution, wether you like it or not is not gonna change. Besides some pretty good arguments for it were done here. I´m pretty happy with the items: tell me what you think of them. Also tell me what you think of the font color and readability, the latter is a main priority for me. The background is definitive.

Well, here it is:

suibhne

Erudite
Just for curiosity, what was the reasoning for breaking out HP and AP again, sticking AP in the interface hinterlands? Simple democracy, or is there a user-interface argument for it?

Aside from that, I think everything looks great. If I had to gripe, I'd gripe about these:

1. Lockpicking and Trap icons: both are gray and just "feel" inactive to me, and the Lockpicking one is really tough to distinguish. But it's not like I'd notice this after my first 5 minutes with the game.

2. The HP/AP icons (not text) look like a little oversaturated or oversharped to me.

3. The World Map icon is anachronistic, in that it refers to a map projection type that wasn't created until the 20th century. I'm fine with the disk looking anachronistic - it's kinda the "odd man out" in the interface, for good reasons - but the World Map should feel like part of the game imo.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Fryjar said:
VD: Sounds promising, but what about the "hit ratio"?
Will it be a miss festival like in D&D or more like the fallouts in this respect (deadly but high to hit ratio)?
Depends on your build. A dodge master in a light armor will be very hard to hit, but will go down in a few hits. A tank in a heavy armor will be very easy to hit, but the armor's DR will block a lot of damage.

@ suibhne: it's pretty and symmetric that way.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
suibhne said:
Just for curiosity, what was the reasoning for breaking out HP and AP again, sticking AP in the interface hinterlands? Simple democracy, or is there a user-interface argument for it?

There were some good arguments, and most importantly, some influential people liked it ;)

Some of the arguments (I´m not posting them for discussion, just because I refered to them in my reasons)

- I see no point in putting HP and AP right next to each other. I don't go and look "What's my health? And how many AP do I have left, while I'm looking down here?" I'll look only at the AP while planning and executing my moves. I'll check my HP during the hostile turns and at the beginning of mine. There is no direct connection between the two.

- I totaly agree with it, except that i won't be looking at HP much.Also in a quick glance you cold confuse them now, especially if HP is as low as AP. I'll probably look at text log, to see how hard i was hit, so my suggestion is to return to the old layout, but change places of AP and HP.

- About AP/HP placement. Personally, I don't care if they're side by side or at each end of the interface. I don't find a clarity problem there. The only thing is that wherever they are, they should look good/blend naturally with the interface. Hence symmetry.

Anyway, it´s final, but thanks for your comments, and I think yours is a good idea, and I wil surelyl think about it when designing my next interface (Maybe I´ll make a career out of this! :lol:).

Aside from that, I think everything looks great.

Thanks! :D

If I had to gripe, I'd gripe about these:

1. Lockpicking and Trap icons: both are gray and just "feel" inactive to me, and the Lockpicking one is really tough to distinguish. But it's not like I'd notice this after my first 5 minutes with the game.

I did some small changes to them, trying to make the more clear. About the color, the thing is that they are made of metal, and it´s hard to add some color to them... I´ll see what I can do, but no promises tough.

2. The HP/AP icons (not text) look like a little oversaturated or oversharped to me.

I´ll probably won´t change the shape, but I think that the HP one stands out too much tough, and maybe I´ll make it a little smaller.

3. The World Map icon is anachronistic, in that it refers to a map projection type that wasn't created until the 20th century. I'm fine with the disk looking anachronistic - it's kinda the "odd man out" in the interface, for good reasons - but the World Map should feel like part of the game imo.

Granpa likes it, so it´s in ;)

oltronix

Novice
Main-gui-clean2.jpg

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
suibhne said:
italics are mine

1. Lockpicking and Trap icons: both are gray and just "feel" inactive to me, and the Lockpicking one is really tough to distinguish.

2. The HP icon (not the AP one) looks like a little oversaturated AND overshaped.

3. The World Map icon is anachronistic.

Apart from that, the icons blend better in the new version. Me like. I do like oltronix's icons better, though. All his new ones look much better, and their functions are evident. The ones he edited also match more with the interface. I know VD likes the old ones, but I urge to reconsider.

oltronix, I think that is your best one yet. Dark enough, perfect icons.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Quick update:

- Made the central wood clearer, as it was blending too much with the stone.

- Added more detail to the lockpicks (some shadows), trap (some teeths), anvil (hammer stands out more), and map (made the "continent" layout more clear).

- Added a small blue color to the lockpicks and trap (which already had some) so they don´t look inactive (as the inactive buttons are grey).

- Made the HP cross smaller and less bright.

- Made the UI a small tone darker (a very small one).

BTW, thanks for the new version oll, but I´ll take it from here ;)

Mr Happy

Scholar
oltronix said:

I like the non-coloration of the weapon slots, but it seems a little dark (though I'd probably need to see it with the rest of the screento judge that).

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I like the non-coloration of the weapon slots, but it seems a little dark (though I'd probably need to see it with the rest of the screento judge that).

I´ll repeat it again: The colors are NOT PERMANENT. They reflect the status of the slot:

Not selected: Uncolored.
Selected: Yellow.
Unselectable: Red.

In my GUI the character has an axe that ocuppies both hands, thus the yellow and red colors.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Elhoim said:
Quick update
All good changes, but is it me, or did the whites/highlights of the interface get lighter/whiter/more saturated from the previous version? Makes the interface a tad too contrasted, therefore distracting and uncomfortable to look at. I liked the older version better for that aspect.

Elhoim said:
Weapon slot colorations:
Not selected: Uncolored.
Selected: Yellow.
Unselectable: Red.
What about making the background of the weapon slot lighter when selected, darker when unselectable?

Fryjar

Augur
Well done Elhoim, the design is now on par with the old rpg classics (if not better).
Still, the Character and the trade screen need an overhaul in my opinion.
Especially the latter is a bit clustered and so I hope that this one's your next project.

oltronix

Novice
I will never stop! Mohahaha!

Personaly I'm not to fond of the "carved"-look of the icons. I understand it's for making the icons blend with the rest of the interface, but is that really necessary? Also I think the filter you are useing takes away some of the detail in the original icons, a pitty since I think they are beautiful. The last ones keep much more detail though! Good work.

Here are both the guis "ingame"

ingame2.jpg

ingame1.jpg

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
All good changes, but is it me, or did the whites/highlights of the interface get lighter/whiter/more saturated from the previous version? Makes the interface a tad too contrasted, therefore distracting and uncomfortable to look at. I liked the older version better for that aspect.

Not really, made it a little darker only... Anyway, I´ll go back to the previous version.

What about making the background of the weapon slot lighter when selected, darker when unselectable?

Not a bad idea, but I like the colours. :D

Well done Elhoim, the design is now on par with the old rpg classics (if not better).
Still, the Character and the trade screen need an overhaul in my opinion.
Especially the latter is a bit clustered and so I hope that this one's your next project.

Thanks for the compliment! :D

Yes, I´ll work on all the screens, as there are many things to adjust. The order I´ll do them depends on what the guys want me to implement ingame next.

BTW, sorry The_Pope, I´ll use mine *. After all is Elhoim´s Interface ;)

* with oll´s help in the coloring.

Anyway everyone, if you have anything to say about the main interface say it now, since I´ll start the ingame implementation soon.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
oltronix said:
I will never stop! Mohahaha!

As you wish. ;)

Remember that VD likes both the original lockpicks and worldmap. :)

Personaly I'm not to fond of the "carved"-look of the icons. I understand it's for making the icons blend with the rest of the interface, but is that really necessary? Also I think the filter you are useing takes away some of the detail in the original icons, a pitty since I think they are beautiful.

As VD once said to me: "Different people, different ideas". :)

The last ones keep much more detail though! Good work.

Thanks. :)

Mr Happy

Scholar
Elhoim said:

I´ll repeat it again: The colors are NOT PERMANENT.

Ah ha. Must have missed that. But still, the colors arent really my thang.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So.. I guess we're finally done with the main GUI - for the moment.
Rinse and repeat for every interface screen of shall you do that more privately?

Nepsa

Novice
What the heck happened to my other login? ...well, anyways...

The UI is looking great, and getting better by each update.

-NOW-

I don't want to step on any toes, but instead of being a guy with one post complaining
about the UI, I thought it'd be better if I just photoshopped what I'm talking about:

uitk9.jpg

The lockpick's new, I brightened up the trap, outlined the hammer a little, made a new map and options icon (although, in retrospective, the gears a bit dark and chunky and I can't be arsed to upload again).

But as I said, I'm just adding my 2 cents in image form rather than text I guess. Keep up the good work.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
At this rate the UI will never be finished. :lol:

To add some fuel of my own, I find Elhoim's UI to look too full of detail compared to the graphics. On the other hand, oltronix's version looks too blurred, I felt like checking if I really had my glasses on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom