Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite Dangerous - Yay or Nay?

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
In Odyssey, are they making any new ship upgrades that you can only get by doing first-person-shooter missions? Are all of our highly engineered pre-Odyssey ships going to be useless if we don't get the expansion?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In Odyssey, are they making any new ship upgrades that you can only get by doing first-person-shooter missions? Are all of our highly engineered pre-Odyssey ships going to be useless if we don't get the expansion?
I didn't hear about any Odyssey specific ships or upgrades.

Fishy

Savant
So, against all my expectations, I'm actually enjoying this. Yes, it randomly decides to crawl for no good reason, and even logging in at the weekend took 3/4 attempts each time, and yes, they fucked up the planetary surfaces big time, but the on-foot sections are actually pretty cool as far as I'm concerned. Now, this is with the caveat that I have all the ships I'll probably ever want and 600m credits that I'm not sure what to do with (which isn't even that much by the standards of the fleet carrier nolifers), so I'm just doing stuff for the sake of doing it, and I don't care that the time/reward is ridiculous. But those wreck site salvage missions are great now that you actually get out of the ship and manually inspect the stuff around, cut down panels and overload circuitry. I'm having a good time with that stuff. The "go scan data at this random planetary outpost" was my thing before, when it was forced into the SRV with nothing to do than point at tower and scan, the new stuff is a straight upgrade on that.

Settlement infiltration is ok, it's the same stuff, just with more mechanics such as scanning people to duplicate security credentials, locating data terminals etc. Haven't done much of it yet though. Did some ground CZ too, and it's like playing an interception mission in Warframe, just worse. Still serviceable, and a quick way to get random pew pew action. Again, not worth the time for the credit-conscious player (make less than 400k from a win in a high-intensity conflict) but since at this point I don't care about credits...

The main thing that irks me - and it's typical FD - is the lack of social features. They added the equivalent of mmo hubs, the one place where you come across other players in a non-hostile context. Yet there's nothing to interact. No integrated voice chat, no text chat bubbles, no emotes, nothing. I didn't even care for the multiplayer in this game, but having spent a bit of time in an outpost watching player ships going in/out and seeing players walk around me, it's hilariously sad to have to acknowledge each other with crouch spam or side strafing.

Had they not completely fucked up planet surfaces, I'd call it a solid expansion, even with all its other issues. As is, I'm loving the new stuff, but it's clearly a shitty beta downgrade in many ways and Braben deserves all the flak from the shitty Steam rating his baby is getting.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
The main thing that irks me - and it's typical FD - is the lack of social features. They added the equivalent of mmo hubs, the one place where you come across other players in a non-hostile context. Yet there's nothing to interact. No integrated voice chat, no text chat bubbles, no emotes, nothing. I didn't even care for the multiplayer in this game, but having spent a bit of time in an outpost watching player ships going in/out and seeing players walk around me, it's hilariously sad to have to acknowledge each other with crouch spam or side strafing.

That may because the hardcore fans in the FD forums will tell you that this is not an MMO. At least that was the case in the days when I played the game, between 2014 and 2017. They would get mad if someone called it an MMO. So if it's not one, It does not need MMO features.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I was enjoying it at first, but now I just can't handle the bugs anymore.

The graphics are fucked, shit is too dark, have a hard time even seeing some gas giants in the goddamn map, they are just black.

There is an obvious bug with lod on some planets, they look find from a distance but when you land on they are mostly flat with textures straight out of 2003.

Some people on the forums were posting planets with the same formation repeating in such an obvious way that it's too recognizable. I hope this is a bug, but people were quoting some worrying quotes from people involved in development about changing the way the planets are generated to make it more compatible with on foot gameplay.

Route planner won't even include neutron jumping anymore even though fastest route with yet cone boost is on, maybe because they look like this now?:
G37UZHx.png

Oh, and almost forgot about how there are outposts and crashed ships in every goddamn system with landable planets I visited so far, and I started 10k from Sag A*

Anyway, if these things are fixable bugs I will happily come back, because some of the new planets look awesome. Just a shame for a player like me who just explores and doesn't care about 99% of the shit they added recently.

Fishy

Savant
Oh, and almost forgot about how there are outposts and crashed ships in every goddamn system with landable planets I visited so far, and I started 10k from Sag A*

Anyway, if these things are fixable bugs I will happily come back, because some of the new planets look awesome. Just a shame for a player like me who just explores and doesn't care about 99% of the shit they added recently.

Yeah, they somehow removed the limit they had added in Horizons after similar complaints, so we're back to ship wrecks all over the place.

Also, they introduced exobiology to appease explorers, but you need a specific suit for it (the Artemis), and you need to buy that at a station. Gotta love how all those explorers out there will be finding plants all over the place but be unable to scan them. :hahano:

DDZ

Patron
Also, they introduced exobiology to appease explorers, but you need a specific suit for it (the Artemis), and you need to buy that at a station. Gotta love how all those explorers out there will be finding plants all over the place but be unable to scan them. :hahano:

Aye, first planet I scanned and landed on I found a crashed probe. I was thinking it was strange to find one all the way out there, but heh. I walk over and see there is a panel that I knew you could cut open, but I just had the flight suit, so no luck. Figured I would pick up the tool at a station in Colonia later.

Jumped some more, scanned another planet with plants on it, oh can't scan those either. Oh well, will get the needed tool in Colonia later.

Cue me landing on a station in Colonia only to find out the cutter tool and scan tool are both in different outfits... So now I have to chose to be able to scan spacegrass or collect engineering mats from buildings/crash sites? That's kinda infuriating.

Fishy

Savant
Cue me landing on a station in Colonia only to find out the cutter tool and scan tool are both in different outfits... So now I have to chose to be able to scan spacegrass or collect engineering mats from buildings/crash sites? That's kinda infuriating.

Yeah it's pretty stupid. But you're not actually stuck and don't have to choose, just buy both suits that's all. Use the Maverick for wreck sites, and the Artemis for plant areas. You can (and should) have all suits basically, and you can choose which one to use from the ship, from the same menu as the Disembark button (should be a 'manage loadout' somewhere).

DDZ

Patron
Aye I realized that after I posted it and I think you can even change loadouts in the SRV, so that's something.

Retardo

Learned
You can (and should) have all suits basically, and you can choose which one to use from the ship, from the same menu as the Disembark button (should be a 'manage loadout' somewhere).

This is so mind-numbingly retarded on their part it feels like trolling. I mean, they've fucked up big with this update, and their arbitrary limitations on gameplay and QoL features because of hurrdurr muh realism also showed their idiocy.
But conceiving the idea that to use two different tools you'd have to change suits is purest decline.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
You can (and should) have all suits basically, and you can choose which one to use from the ship, from the same menu as the Disembark button (should be a 'manage loadout' somewhere).

This is so mind-numbingly retarded on their part it feels like trolling. I mean, they've fucked up big with this update, and their arbitrary limitations on gameplay and QoL features because of hurrdurr muh realism also showed their idiocy.
But conceiving the idea that to use two different tools you'd have to change suits is purest decline.
That's how they set up the suits? No problem. It's just like when I go into combat. I use one ship with lasers to take down the shields, and then I go switch to my ship with cannons to take out the hull.
:troll:

DraQ

Arcane

That may because the hardcore fans in the FD forums will tell you that this is not an MMO. At least that was the case in the days when I played the game, between 2014 and 2017. They would get mad if someone called it an MMO. So if it's not one, It does not need MMO features.
So that's why it only has MMO drawbacks. Innovative.

Razor

Arcane
So. No ship interiors I take it?

The main thing the feet crowd wanted and they fail to provide. :positive:

Also what about wreck salvage- are there new objects peeps have seen? Can you enter wrecks? There are some interesting opportunities in theory like derelict mega/generation ships on moons but that would require imagination and a focused team.

Stokowski

Arcane
I haven't logged in to Elite for a while, but, good old Frontier were kind enough to email me with a roundup of the forums:

xOY9nyr.png

Works on Braben's machine
Dn2IzwV.png
At this point I'm 90% sure the entire industry just has this post templated and whips it out whenever something goes wrong. Its such an empty PR response.
"Yes we know we sold you a box of garbage but if you give us 2-3 years we promise the smell will eventually go away and you can enjoy your garbage in peace"
The icing on the cake is "it works for me I didn't see any bugs".
As with No Man's Sky this only happens because gamers are easily pleased retards. They all enjoy the narrative that No Man's Sky is "redeemed" but can't be bothered to actually play the game and find out it's still just as shallow and hollow as before. But with more grind islands. The same will happen here. As it will with Cyberpunk. ED Dads a year from now will shout from the rafters that Odyssey is "fixed" because they added "content" which I guarantee will be some form of engineer grind or some other tedious bullshit. We still won't get ship interiors, nor VR support. The fundamental problems with ED won't be fixed. But ED Dads will be satisfied like the starving and pathetic dogs they are.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
https://steamcommunity.com/app/359320/discussions/0/3112530528178714659/?ctp=6#c3112530528185747484

Is it worth it? Absolutely not. In its current state Odyssey breaks more than it fixes and when it does fix some things it leaves other things broken instead. The problem here is that you could be putting in effort into your gameplay only to end up with either nothing, fines, lost stuff without anything in return and thus in the end pure frustration.

I'm not even talking about the disconnects and the GUI issues, nor am I talkign about the bad performance and the change in the way planets look. I'm merely talking about game mechanics.

Ground stations / settlements have become more important within Odyssey. So add some to your bookmarks and you'll never find 'm again. For some reason Odyssey adds bookmarked planetary outposts / settlements into the systems category so that you won't be able to see them unless you edit your bookmarks.

Using synthesis to create items or enhance others is an important mechanic. For example, you can boost your FSD to make a bigger jump. Not in Odyssey of course, it'll happily take your materials, claim for 3 seconds that your FSD is 'boosted' and then things return to normal.

Are you hunting for earth like planets? Get ready to discover them all over again because they are no longer called "earth like" within the system map nor will you be able to recognize them in said map because they're no longer blue but brownish. For that extra sense of realism, you know. Of course... once you're in the system and you have targetted said planet then it will be called "earth like" as usual. FDev have only enhanced the system map, not the in-flight controls.

FDev supports the war on drugs, and therefor we were no longer able to select any drug related commodity in the galaxy map, not even if a passenger asked us about it. After all, drugs are only for the engineers, not for the plebs. Yah, there was a small side effect though which also disallowed us from looking up any other commodity as well but yeah... details, accidents happen ;) (this has been fixed but... meh, couldn't resist).

Do you enjoy the quick - to the point - navigation within Horizons? For example.. having the ability to add and remove a planet to your bookmarks using one click while using the system map? Well, look no further because this has been enhanced! To prevent accidental removals FDev have made sure that in order to remove something you'll have to do at least 3 clicks before you'll be able to remove anyting. You can never be too careful!

Do you enjoy outfitting your ship? Yah, we all know that was waay too easy. You just couldn't shop for you rmodules in a relaxed fashion, nor could you look for modules you wouldn't ever need anyway. So please say hi to the new and improved outfitting menu where the motto is: "Buy first, worry about outfitting later". Commanders have too much credits anyway so... why not!

The stores never go out of modules in Odyssey! See, in Horizons you were sometimes confronted with "doesn't sell this module" error messages, that's no good. So to make things more friendly this has been replaced so that the shop will now also show you all the modules you already have! No, not one, all of the same category. Looking for an extra burst laser? Then we'll make sure to show you all the burst lasers you already own so that you won't notice that the station you're at doesn't even sell any burst lasers to begin with. Confusing? Absolutely not, this way we'll protect the feelings of the stations engineer for when you don't open the burst laser section. It's not their fault that the station has no burst lasers you know.. who are you to complain?

But wait! There's more! To make shopping even more exciting FDev have also made sure to show you only what you already have vs. what's available, even if the station does sell stuff. So... you have 3 multi cannons and you're looking for more? Then the shopping screen will show you '3' in the overview as if the station doesn't have any multicannons for sale. Surprise!, it actually does! Aren't you happy now?

What? waste of time? Not being able to tell what is actually being sold? How rude! Stop being lazy and just open up all the categories to check for yourself. Realism!

:salute:

Fishy

Savant
I'm still enjoying this a lot. I know I'll get bored, but that's the best time I've had with Elite in years. The performance on the ground is shocking though, they're doomed if they don't fix that.

Kao

Novice
We still won't get ship interiors, nor VR support.

tsevo?

VR was working fine in Horizons about three weeks ago when I last logged in. Is it broken with odyssey?
It's not even broken, just isn't available. If you get out of your ship while using Odyssey in VR the game switches to a virtual TV screen 2d window mode - there's no way to play the on foot part of the game (ie Odyssey itself) in 3d with head tracking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom