Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I know that sucks. Reminds me of East Germany, when you had to save a whole year to buy something.

But if you research well before you buy something you're not that much worse off. I think.

Mortmal

Arcane
Is this game grindy? How does it compare to EVE online?
More or less the same as EVE Online.
It's not really comparable, in eve online you can even speed up the process and buy ISK.Being a real multiplayer game you wont feel the grind as much even if you do strictly pve . In elite there's almost no player interaction unless you join a player group in some sub reddit, mostly for some larping . Trade and econonomy is not nearly as developped too. In eve, you engineer blueprints, scam people on the market, put your goods at outrageous prices in zero sec, and avoid being sucide ganked in the process . In elite you convey goods from A to B then B to A, or the summun of complexity A to B to C to A.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is this game grindy? How does it compare to EVE online?
More or less the same as EVE Online.
It's not really comparable, in eve online you can even speed up the process and buy ISK.Being a real multiplayer game you wont feel the grind as much even if you do strictly pve . In elite there's almost no player interaction unless you join a player group in some sub reddit, mostly for some larping . Trade and econonomy is not nearly as developped too. In eve, you engineer blueprints, scam people on the market, put your goods at outrageous prices in zero sec, and avoid being sucide ganked in the process . In elite you convey goods from A to B then B to A, or the summun of complexity A to B to C to A.
You have a point, mainly about player intersactions. In EVE, you interact a lot with players, which makes the grinding more bearable, unfortunately Elite doesn't have as big of a playerbase. Although EVE is also grindy in pve when you start it, at least that's how I remember my first hours, when I did the same missions over and over and over, just to increase my influance +0,1 with the coprs.

Burning Bridges

They don't have everything on all stations, but you get it at high tech planets.

Tbh I never purchased one and rather hoard millions in the bank. And it takes up a 4 ton slot, 4 tons that are supposed to earn money with slaves, personal weapons or narcotics.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They don't have everything on all stations, but you get it at high tech planets.

Tbh I never purchased one and rather hoard millions in the bank. And it takes up a 4 ton slot, 4 tons that are supposed to earn money with slaves, personal weapons or narcotics.
I really don't see the reason for buying one. Docking is not difficult, I find it rather exciting and "immersive" to be honest. I remember the very first time I played Elite, and docking was the point where it blew my mind. It just felt so good.

Burning Bridges

Yep, it''s actually fun and easy to land, unlike in the original Elite where it could be nail bitingly difficult. And I always have a laugh when I race through the station like a retard, ignore the tower, land with sparks flying and immdediately jump out of the canopy to claim rewards of my (illegal) cargo.

justincz

Scholar
how long before you can land on atmospheric planet or atleast walk in your ship and at stations? id rather do the latter than drive around on a rock.
right now their are introducing a luxury passenger ship, but whats the point when you can only look thru the window of it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
how long before you can land on atmospheric planet or atleast walk in your ship and at stations? id rather do the latter than drive around on a rock.
right now their are introducing a luxury passenger ship, but whats the point when you can only look thru the window of it.

Atmospheric planets are coming, but it is more than a year down the road, maybe two. Walking on stations/ships maybe next year...?

justincz

Scholar
apparently ships are roughly mapped with rooms and everything. cosmetic work left, but barely any mention of it. gonne be like 3 years from release before we can even walk. bah!
6d6fc7d6e18b5b85634f6795e8dfacde_large.jpg

Shipinterior.png

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I believe the update after this next one is going to be the multicrew one, but I don't know if you'll be able to walk around or if you'll just teleport to the ship's seat.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I believe the update after this next one is going to be the multicrew one, but I don't know if you'll be able to walk around or if you'll just teleport to the ship's seat.
I'm almost 100% sure that you will just sit in the correct position and you won't be able to walk around yet. They would have made a bigger deal about walking around, yet they almost never mention it.

praetor

Arcane
How's piracy in this game?

bad. risky, hard to pull off (it's waaay too easy for traders to just run) and unrewarding

anyway, they've been saying all the right things with the 2.2 updates these past 2 days. if i didn't know better, i'd be very hyped... but i'm still optimistic even though i know deep down it'll be disappointing

• ship launched fighters are pretty cool
  • (much!) better route planner with filters
  • more scientifically accurate white dwarves and neutron stars
  • tectonic activity on planets
  • branching missions, passenger missions that are supposed to be more than hauling with different text (hopefully other missions will also branch)
  • finally more fucking variety in space stations! goddamn it took them waay too long
  • more shit to mine on planets other than barnacles
  • probably more stuff that i forgot
  • aliens!

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Hm, that does look good. Played the game for quite a bit when it came out but have dropped out of it for nearly a year now. I'm the kind of guy that enjoys the whole space truck feel of the game. Docking at those awesome Bladerunner esque space stations was awesome. Loved the graphics and atmosphere. Unfortunately the gameplay felt a bit too shallow and I didn't see that improving with the expansions. Am thinking of getting into it again though. That roadmap is starting to look better and better. Ah, perhaps a few patches down the road.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron

I wasn't interested in this expansion changes so far, but the ability to launch fighters looks awesome.

Mortmal

Arcane
Thats a cool feature for large ships to launch fighters but.. To do what ? They have not changed anything , a vulture is still more than enough to do any missions or kill any npc.

Burning Bridges

I think it could also be detrimental. When a transporter gets under attack the best chance to escape is to run, but once you have launched a fighter you are trapped. I can already see myself in a Sidewinder cursing the day David Braben was born, while the AI contentedly shoots up my 15 million transporter, standing still in space.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I think it could also be detrimental. When a transporter gets under attack the best chance to escape is to run, but once you have launched a fighter you are trapped. I can already see myself in a Sidewinder cursing the day David Braben was born, while the AI contentedly shoots up my 15 million transporter, standing still in space.
You can hire AI crew to fly either your fighter or your main ship, so both of them can move and attack/defend/hold still/move, depending on the order you give it.

Thats a cool feature for large ships to launch fighters but.. To do what ? They have not changed anything , a vulture is still more than enough to do any missions or kill any npc.
There are instances where you are cought empty handed with a bigger ship (during mining for example), when some fighter cover could come i handy. If only for distracting your foe until you get away.

Ask Burning Bridges how he lost his shit against NPCs during mining. :M

Fun story for today:

I rarely landed on planets, but whenever I did it, it was always on low gravity planets so far. So I get used to my ship reacting quickly to my imput. Today I ended up in a planet with 1,5G gravity. I rushed toward the surface and I picked up the nose of the ship as usual, putting thrusters on 0. Image my suprise when my ship didn't stop as quickly as usual. I hit the ground like a meteorite. It hurt. :D

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom