Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elminage ORIGINAL - Priestess of Darkness and The Ring of the Gods

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm struggling to come up with a party composition that I like.
I really want to have a Brawler, Alchemist, and Bard in my party. I hear that a Thief is super useful for stealing items, so I'd probably take one of them as well. But, that just about fills up my backrow, right? A Thief, Alchemist, and Bard in my back... it doesn't sound like I'd have much magical support at all. Maybe I could move someone to the front, but I want some fire-power up there (I was thinking Lord and Samurai). How screwed would I be if I didn't have a Mage, Cleric, or Bishop? Of course, I guess I haven't thought about changing classes yet.

Also, Shaman? Servant? Summoner? I have no idea what these classes do, but they sound cool. Dang it... I wish we could have a party of 8... or 10.

EDIT: I'm still curious about what you guys have to say about my questions, but dang it, I'm going to create my party (Brawler, Lord, Samurai, Thief, Alchemist, Bard) and just go for it.
I'm here to have fun.
Thief is very useful in this game, very good gear to steal (you can get insane claws for your brawler). Do an alchemist or priest and dual class to thief when they get all spells. This way he has support spells in addition to steal.

Brawler, Lord, Samurai, Thief, Alchemist, Bard
With this composition you definitely need more priest spells, so make a Priest->Thief

It´s a good party BTW. The Bard or Samurai should be a Mage first to get Teleport spell ASAP.

I´m a big fan of Ninjas in this games, but you have a fun and solid lineup. Only thing is I would start with another Priest and Mage and class changing them.

BTW, Alchemists are incredible, masters of the battlefield. Their buffs, debuffs and crowd control are insanely good for the tough encounter.

Last edited:

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
I really want to have a Brawler, Alchemist, and Bard in my party. I hear that a Thief is super useful for stealing items, so I'd probably take one of them as well. But, that just about fills up my backrow, right? A Thief, Alchemist, and Bard in my back... it doesn't sound like I'd have much magical support at all. Maybe I could move someone to the front, but I want some fire-power up there (I was thinking Lord and Samurai). How screwed would I be if I didn't have a Mage, Cleric, or Bishop? Of course, I guess I haven't thought about changing classes yet.

Also, Shaman? Servant? Summoner? I have no idea what these classes do, but they sound cool. Dang it... I wish we could have a party of 8... or 10.

EDIT: I'm still curious about what you guys have to say about my questions, but dang it, I'm going to create my party (Brawler, Lord, Samurai, Thief, Alchemist, Bard) and just go for it.
I'm here to have fun.

You can put thief on front line.

If you must have a brawler you can ditch the samurai, put thief in front row and bring a bishop along for a more well rounded party.
samurai counter-attack is very good late game, although brawler is also good (i've heard, I didn't have one during my playthrough).
Lord is too useful not to bring, will save you lots of tears thanks to his status protection for the entire party.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I'm here to have fun.
Thief is very useful in this game, very good gear to steal (you can get insane claws for your brawler). Do an alchemist or priest and dual class to thief when they get all spells. This way he has support spells in addition to steal.

Brawler, Lord, Samurai, Thief, Alchemist, Bard
With this composition you definitely need more priest spells, so make a Priest->Thief

It´s a good party BTW. The Bard or Samurai should be a Mage first to get Teleport spell ASAP.

I´m a big fan of Ninjas in this games, but you have a fun and solid lineup. Only thing is I would start with another Priest and Mage and class changing them.

BTW, Alchemists are incredible, masters of the battlefield. Their buffs, debuffs and crowd control are insanely good for the tough encounter.

The thing is, how much of a long haul are you preparing for?
Are you gunning to finish all post-game content?

If not, I'd advise against dual-classing in Original. My chracters were gaining their high levels abilities just before the end game (particularly the advanced classes). Also the level scaling high level abilities will hardly have time to develop in the base game (like the Samurai counters, Lord protective aura).

The Thief can indeed steal some cool stuff. Thing is, he gains that ability at level 26. When the base game is close to an end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom