Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Empyrion Galactic Survival - finally out of early access

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
15 solar panels within 1.8 AU on a space station will support a constantly-on teleporter.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Asfasdf and I managed to neutralize one Zirax base on the ice planet we occupy, but I'm p. sure there is another. The planet is huge!

Here's a couple images of us doing stuff.

Enroute to a Zirax Outpost

444444.jpg

The Entrance to Fort Codexia

55555.jpg

We won't speak about what happened on this planet.

666666.jpg

Bonus Picture:

muh garden

muh garden.jpg

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
Today was fairly successful.

We managed to harvest some rare metals on the fire planet and I rebuilt my space ship that was destroyed last game session.

The space pirates are no joke. I'm adding more guns to my ship next time I get on.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Asfasdf and I managed to neutralize one Zirax base on the ice planet we occupy

Did you deconstruct the entire base after taking out the core? I always enjoyed that part, especially when you remove the last support for a huge chunk and it all comes crashing down. Bonus points for tunnelling in underground like mole people to bypass defences (though as far as I remember this didn't always work due to hella stronk building parts or something? It's been a while).

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
We just took all those heavy as fugg xeno steel blocks and returned to base.

Then we spent some time on this fire planet trying to get erestrum and gold, but the engines on our ship blew out and we were stranded trying to build a small outpost to repair our shit.

The faction there didn't really like us mining on their territory.

By the time we got back to our "home" planet, I think the base had respawned. We are getting the attack drones again.

I'm also p. sure I saw more than one zirax base on the planet when I was out exploring.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
Our planet base became too much of a hassle to maintain, so we have moved on to a space base.

We are currently gathering materials for building stronger ships and T4 cpus, but having a base in space allows for constant solar power. We don't have to worry about clouds or any other nonsense interrupting our steady production of weapons and armor.

We've made multiple "bases" to bypass some of the energy restrictions of the game, and have all the bases nearby each other. Having dedicated bases for production of food, ammo, armor, etc, sorta streamlines things too.

Here's a picture of me floating around in space at the new base.

space base.jpg

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
Depends on the types of games you enjoy.

It's not as fast paced as a war game, but you do get to fight enemies. It's more of a builder game with some fighting imo.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Depends on the types of games you enjoy.

It's not as fast paced as a war game, but you do get to fight enemies. It's more of a builder game with some fighting imo.
How is resource acquisition in the game? I don't think I can handle pointing my cursor at something and waiting for the bar to fill up anymore.
Do you play vanilla or modded?
How does it compare to No Man's Sky in this department (and combat)?
Is there a reason to make ships now?

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
* The resource acquisition is accomplished mainly by "drilling" or "salvaging." The way you drill or salvage depends on what ship you are using, what environment you are in, and what types of enemies are guarding the resources. 90% of the time, the rare and valuable resources are guarded by things that can kill you rather quickly. So, you either fly in and scoop up what you can and fly away, or you fight and hope to win. Harvesting resources that are claimed by other factions gives you negative faction hits, etc etc, game has a faction system. You can drill or salvage by hand, but that is the slowest, equipping multiple drills and tools to space ships is the fastest way to gather resources, but in turn these ships require specialized and rare components to build.

* I play the vanilla game.

* Empyrion feels like more of an actual game than No Man's Sky imo, but I haven't played No Man's Sky since the year it came out, idk what sort of improvements might have been made. In No Man's Sky, I never felt like I would lose my space ship or succumb to death from a lack of resources. Empyrion the risk is more real. The combat in No Man's Sky never felt difficult, in Empyrion the odds are massively against you when fighting the larger fleets.

* I'm not sure about ur last question "Is there a reason to make space ships?" I mean, if you never left the planet, then you are missing a lot of the game for empyrion, farming asteroids for resources is the quickest way to acquire whats needed for massive bases, but also the riskiest too. Even when we had a planet base, we'd fly into space to find gold asteroids, neodymium, or erestrum asteroids to be able to build upgraded cpus or other components required for large ships. Finding some of the rarer resources on a planet is difficult, or impossible. Not all planets have the resources needed for intergalactic ships.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I made an assault tunneler HV to attack a Zirax PoI as my usual vehicles would get blown out before reaching it (the PoI turrets cannot shoot at point blank range), but the loot was paltry compared to what I got from Legacy /abandonned facilities. Was I unlucky, or are low level Zirax PoI not worth it?
It was in reforged Eden, though.
It feels more like an action game than NMS indeed, as you are trying to get yourself things that will help you handle stronger PoI. thank you for the recommandation!
I hate my drilling machines getting stuck every 50 meters or so, though. I'll try getting to space soon, but I haven't enough on my starting planet to build anything big for space.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
Patch notes from November 23rd.

v1.9 Experimental I

Hey Galactic Survivalists!

Not only on Ningues the days are getting colder. What could be more natural than to check your wardrobe and spruce it up. How you do it in the real world is up to you. For Empyrion, we've done it for you. For version 1.9, however, we have not only visually reworked the customizable basic models of the armor, but also tackled a lot of issues around the "Player Controller" and "On Foot Combat".

Among other things, the player avatar and the weapon handling have been improved with new motion animations. See below for more details.

So that you could try out the innovations directly in a fresh environment, version 1.9 comes for the first time in a long time with "Ashon" a completely new, but very challenging game start! We are curious to see how you like it.

As always, please check out our feedback forums and use the pinned threads:
https://empyriononline.com/forums/experimental-features-discussion.35/

Any bug reports please post directly to our bug forum:
https://empyriononline.com/forums/bugs.34/

We hope you have fun!
Empyrion Dev Team

PS: .Please note that all our official servers will be wiped with the public release!

Character Controller & Model
  • The way how gravity affects the player has been changed to make it feel snappier
  • The player now jumps slightly higher when the jetpack is activated
  • Now only possible to sprint in forward directions
  • Added new models for player suits: Interior suit, Light, Medium, Heavy & Heavy Epic
  • New jetpack model for the following suits Medium, Heavy & Heavy Epic
143wV5O.png

Gunplay / Rebalancings
  • Added bullet spread to zirax troops & Cyborg NPC's
  • - Added Procedural Weapon movements to weapons & tools in 1st person view. Models can now recoil, sway & move down when sprinting.
    We have also added some new settings in the ItemsConfig.ecf for control over PWM to allow players or content creators to make adjustments & console command to use in game.
    How to use:
    Add these new settings to any weapon or tool in the ItemsConfig.ecf to override the default settings for PWM:

{ Child 6
    Class: Movements
    StandingLocation: "0.0, 0.0, 0.0"
    StandingRotation: "0.0, 0.0, 0.0"
    AimingLocation: "0.0, 0.0, 0.0"
    AimingRotation: "0.0, 0.0, 0.0"
    RunningLocation: "0.0, 0.0, 0.0"
    RunningRotation: "0.0, 0.0, 0.0"
    CrouchingLocation: "0.0, 0.0, 0.0"
    CrouchingRotation: "0.0, 0.0, 0.0"
    RecoilLocation: "0.0, 0.0, 0.0"
    RecoilRotation: "0.0, 0.0, 0.0"
    WalkMovement: "0.0"
    RunMovement: "0.0"
    }
    Then when in a save game, equip the weapons or tools you have set this up for and use this command "lpf movements" to activate the GUI to modify settings.
    When you have found the values you think work for the weapon/tool, manually place the values for each setting into the ItemsConfig.ecf then save the file when done (use the command in game again when you are finished before exiting the save).
    See { +Item Id: 16, Name: LaserRifle in the ItemsConfig.ecf for example.
Game World & POIs
  • Added new game start: Ashon
    LcaL61M.png

• Added 'ForceAttack' enumeration to Factions.ecf to allow specific factions to attack other factions. F.e. ForceAttack: "Kriel, Predator" added to the Zirax faction will trigger Zirax to attack members of Kriel and Predator factions (WIP).
  • Replaced old POIs on Akua: Scientist Camp, Digsite, Supply Depot (thx to Stellar Titan)
  • Replaced Crown sector orbital 'Destroyed Station' with new variant (thx to Stellar Titan)
  • Updated Akua Supply Depot (now fully testable/playable)
  • Adjusted some loca PDA elements (note: issues fixed in 1.8.10 might reappear for ES, RU and IT)
  • Updated Digsite (Akua); can now be tested ingame
  • Updated Console Location Tracker preview pics (Akua)
  • Added new Talon POI lineup, replacing old POI (Stone, Snow, Wood; Thx to Vermillion)
  • Changed some POI to belong to Karana (not yet used)
  • Added new TESCH dronebase (Thx to Escarli)
  • Added more Progenitor POIs (Thx to Fractalite)
  • Added Talon airships (not yet used)
  • Added external door now opening when entering Sanctuary (Omicron) with secret teleporter (Escape Route)
PDA updates
  • Added: PDA: new PlayfieldOp "SignalStructure: poi-name;signal-name;signal-state"
  • Added: GameEvent and PDA Check "ViewSelected" and events for BP window views BP_Library, BP_Factory, BP_Save
  • Added GameEvent "StructureProduced" with file and group name
  • Added: raising GameEvent "ViewSelected" for all Control Panel views (selectable via the tabs on top)
Other Changes
  • Updated Unity to 2022.1.15f1
  • Added ‘Help’ buttons to GUI, see the Logistics window in the top right !
  • Added animations to the Console Map block. Info on how this works:
    The Map is using the HeightMap texture generated for the player to draw a tessellated plane.
    The plane is centered around the player position on terrain and shows 2km around the player.
    If you were on a planet and you go to space, it will display the heightmap of the last planet
Fixes:
  • Texture editor does not save the saturation of the ClusterID tex
  • Vuplex CoQ when selecting an option before the video starts in the Default games starting tutorial
  • Plants can "sink" under terrain when returning to them after loading back into a save
  • LCD projector block is turning invisible & the distance of text the projector displays is now very short
  • Selecting any SYMBOL in the Color & Texture Tool results in CoQ
  • CoQ spam in Atlon Sector of the custom scenario "Invader vs defender" when near an asteroid ring
  • Deco console computer table can not be painted
  • SV Jet Thruster 3x10x3 flame can not be colored
  • Suit light doesn't get removed after a player takes off their armor suit
  • Weapons/tools dropping down to the bottom left with Armor light on switches constantly between "dropping" & "Normal"
  • Mounted weapons collision with terrain and structures is missed
  • Turrets and mounted weapons clip through structures
  • CP O2 indicator visual glitch on structures without O2 Tank
  • Warps effect screen glitch when warping rapidly to other playfields
  • Ramps (non airtight) protect player from weather effect on open space
  • Block shapes for different materials are not correct when using CTRL+RMB copying
  • Block preview model is missing underwater
  • The Player can get stuck on ramps when crouch walking up
EAH:
Known:
  • Manual control of turrets isn't working
  • New jetpack VFX are missing (not finished yet)

Novice
hi friends,

i play this game a lot. for people trying it i recommend downloading the reforged eden mod (massive update coming soon) which expands the scope of the game bigly. i think it is one of the comfiest games you can play, especially with a co-op bro.

that is all

Doctor Gong

Literate
This is a really comfortable laid back game. It not for everyone as it really is sandboxy, it not the best at any of the things it does, but overall it a really nice package of items, If I want to explore the stars I can, if I want a cabin in the woods of some alien planet, it can do that. It has a nice balance between working for what you need and being grindy, and you can always play so you don't have to grind if you don't want to.

Hellraiser

Arcane
In WTF news, Empyrion gets a 10 dollar DLC announced simultaneously with news of a "partnership" with Funcom. The DLC additions look rather meh, for some reason for me this news seems like a dark omen regarding the game's future, even if it is just very janky minecraft in space running on unity that would see the developer go belly up and/or abandoned it in an unfinished state eventually. Making small ships and flying around space is nice though.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/383120/view/3878226811991930956

A New Story (requires new character):
Wake up on a derelict ship and discover what has befallen the crew. Uncover the secrets of the Dark Faction and how to stop its spread across the galaxy.

Dark Faction Planets:
Explore a new and deadly environment that’s spreading across the galaxy.

Dark Faction Building Blocks:
Expand your creativity with a new set of organic building blocks.

New Devices:
Craft new powerful devices such as the Translocator, Phase Shield, and Corrupted Shield.

Updated Melee Combat:
We’ve updated melee combat, which plays a large role from the beginning of the scenario.

Suger

Literate
In WTF news, Empyrion gets a 10 dollar DLC announced simultaneously with news of a "partnership" with Funcom. The DLC additions look rather meh, for some reason for me this news seems like a dark omen regarding the game's future, even if it is just very janky minecraft in space running on unity that would see the developer go belly up and/or abandoned it in an unfinished state eventually. Making small ships and flying around space is nice though.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/383120/view/3878226811991930956

A New Story (requires new character):
Wake up on a derelict ship and discover what has befallen the crew. Uncover the secrets of the Dark Faction and how to stop its spread across the galaxy.

Dark Faction Planets:
Explore a new and deadly environment that’s spreading across the galaxy.

Dark Faction Building Blocks:
Expand your creativity with a new set of organic building blocks.

New Devices:
Craft new powerful devices such as the Translocator, Phase Shield, and Corrupted Shield.

Updated Melee Combat:
We’ve updated melee combat, which plays a large role from the beginning of the scenario.

A DLC when the main game isn't even finished. It's been a while since I've played but last time I checked, there was still no actual main quest, dialog is amateurish at best and there are still a lot of bugs and animations issues... and I've been playing it since the Alpha version.

This won't be good.

I was thinking about reinstalling this lately to scratch my minecraft itch. Does anyone play reforged eden or just vanilla?

Most people still seem to play with Reforged Eden, which is understandable given the state of the vanilla game.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
I liked the vanilla version of the game because of its lack of story. It felt like exploring a universe without the need for an overarching story.

The DLC seems like its more of a story driven expansion for those wanting a story to play. Many games already utilize this type of DLC for those wanting a new story every once in a while. Not sure I'd call it "morally" right or wrong, its just what it is. If you want to buy it, then buy it, if you don't then don't.

The base game is fun enough as is to justify it's purchase price. It does still need work and improvements, and maybe some of the DLC work will translate into some graphical improvements because the game is in need of polish.

The focus on DLC and cash grab isn't the best way to develop a game, but its certainly better than no development due to lack of cash.

As long as they don't ruin the vanilla game, then I'll be cautiously optimistic.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I used to play the Hell out of Empyrion until I started playing Space Engineers. I've tried going back to Empyrion, but the lack of any tangable physics engine in the game really kills it for me. For example, you may as well all just use your own ships because if you're in your friend's capitol ship and get out of the chair, you end up flying out the back of it because it doesn't have inertial frames. You can't ride in the back of a hover truck in Empyrion, or stand on the wing of an SV while it elevates you to a third floor balcony, and so on. The sad thing is that the were talking about this back in Alpha 6, but said it would take a complete overhaul of the physics system to do. So, I figured it was on the back burner, but they never actually did it.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
I never experienced that issue, played quite a bit of multiplayer, but I played a while after the game had come out.

Late Bloomer

Scholar

About This Content
Survive a terrible threat to the galaxy in the Dark Faction DLC. Fight with improved melee combat mechanics, explore a new storyline, craft new items, and discover new ways to play as old tactics fail.

Play Dark Faction on a new save to experience the storyline, or continue an existing game and experience all the new content without the story.
The Dark Faction DLC includes:
A new adventure:

Embark on a brand-new scenario in a darker galaxy.
Wake up on a derelict ship and discover what has befallen the crew.
Uncover the secrets of the Dark Faction and how to stop its spread across the galaxy.

New ways to play:

Explore Dark Faction planets, a completely new and deadly environment.
Create with a new set of Dark Faction building blocks.
Craft new devices including various types of turrets and a Dark Field Nullifier, which counteracts the enemy’s powerful ability to disrupt your technology.
Fight in improved melee combat and with new weapons.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I never experienced that issue, played quite a bit of multiplayer, but I played a while after the game had come out.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/383120/discussions/0/3883851232921597510/

If you've never experienced that issue, you've never done what I said to do in order to experience it. Get your cap ship moving, then get up from the chair and try to walk around. In Space Engineers, you can actually ride around in the back of your friend's rover because you're part of the inertial frame of that rover. You can fire up the thrusters on your capital ship, turn off inertial dampners, and walk around your ship while it's moving. It's not uncommon to aim towards a waypoint in Space Engineers, start the ship moving, and then go work on something around the ship. Once you get used to that, it's hard to go back to a game that doesn't have that.

Don't get me wrong, in terms of an action game with building and space flight, Empyrion does a great job. Raiding POIs is pretty damned fun. Capturing POIs and making new bases out of them is a blast. But the physics engine is sorely lacking.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
I see what you are saying now, I read it quickly while scrolling and missed the "get out of the chair" part. The flying out definitely happens and is the most annoying part of the game imo.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
Reforged Eden info post to add value to thread.

Info: https://steamcommunity.com/app/383120/discussions/0/3169946351455174551/

Q: How to unlock Points after level 25 in Reforged Eden?

A: Data pads - find them in loot containers or buy them from the trader on UCH ships. Hand them in to the lead researcher on any UCH ship for 100 UP each. If you are playing MP you can also trade these with other players.

Lost cargo - find in loot containers and hand in at terminals on trade stations for 25 UP each.

Missions - quite a few missions offer UP as part of the reward.

Research mission - once you leave the start systems, every 3 hours you can complete research at the research computer on UCH ships for 250 UP.

Also keep a lookout for navigational data. Handing these in at research computers increases warp range.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom