Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yarr harr harr NINTENDO! Suck a cannon ball.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
But is it true the rumor that in Italy nobody names their sons Mario or Luigi anymore because they are afraid to be sued by Nintendo?

spekkio

Arcane
fuck-nintendo-1.jpg

Yuzu lives!

Vorark

Erudite
https://www.theverge.com/2024/3/5/24091561/nintendo-lawsuit-fallout-yuzu

The Nintendo DS emulator Drastic is now free as Yuzu lawsuit fallout begins

One day after the Nintendo Switch emulator Yuzu utterly folded in the face of Nintendo’s lawsuit, it’s not yet clear what other parts of the emulation community might have to fear. But the Yuzu settlement already took the Nintendo 3DS emulator Citra down with it, and it’s not the only change the community’s making seemingly out of an abundance of caution.

The developer of popular Nintendo DS emulator Drastic just made its app completely free on Android (previously $4.99), and it intends to pull it down for good. Exophase wrote on its official Discord that “I want to make it clear that I don’t have any kind of financial incentive” and that Nintendo’s move simply “made the whole process more urgent”:
“I just changed the app on GPlay to free. I don’t intend to even have it on there for that much longer,” Exophase begins.

ds.jpg

flyingjohn

Arcane
For anybody interested Drastic( best ds emulator exclusive to android) is free thanks to the Nintendo lawsuit.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Whats the best emulator to play unicorn overlord on pc? In terms of stability and performance.

I mean at this point in time the asnwer is probably whatever last version Yuzu is

In time Ryujinx probably will be better but to begin with Ryujin is accuracy focused so it will be slower still in general

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, there was some testing... :oops:

Re: Archimedean Dynasty running in 3dfx mode on various DosBox forks.

Regular, non-3dfx version looks simply glorious with:

Code:
glshader = crt-auto

I mean, shit:

It's almost like I'm back in '99, gaming on my Flatron 720B.

3dfx emulation in Staging is low-level only:

0.81.0 release notes said:
Note this is purely software-based low-level emulation; we’re emulating the 3dfx Voodoo 1 hardware accurately in software, which requires a beefy host CPU. We don’t support high-level emulation where the Glide API calls are transformed and passed through to modern 3D APIs for the actual rendering (e.g., OpenGL, Vulkan, Direct3D, etc.)

So it requires game's glide2x.ovl.

Sadly, it isn't prefect (yet?). 2D part looks and works fine:

Unfortunately, the 3D part has problems with some HUD fonts:

But for a low-level emulation, it's fast as fuck (~100 FPS).

Verdict: looks quite promising, will be monitoring its progress in the future.

There are two options for emulating 3dfx here:

a) Low-level:

Code:
voodoo_card

dosbox-x wiki said:
Possible values: auto, false, software, opengl

Enables low-level Voodoo card hardware emulation.

NOTE: This emulation mode does not work in fullscreen mode.

b) High-level:

Code:
glide

dosbox-x wiki said:
Possible values: true, false

Enables high-level Glide API pass-through to the host OS. This requires that the host OS has a Glide API library (or Glide wrapper) installed, and in addition it requires the special GLIDE2X.OVL file provided by DOSBox-X, or for Windows 9x games a specially patched GLIDE2X.DLL.

What they forgot to mention is the fact, that high-level emulation works only with the SDL1.x version of DosBox-X.

Which took me some time to figure out. Plus, the required glide2x.ovl is "hidden" on virtual drive Z: instead of simply being stored next to dosbox.exe (like any sane korean would do). :roll:

Anyway... It's shit in both modes.

:decline:

a) Low-level emulation (game's glide2x.ovl + openglide)

- Works only in small 640x480 window.

- Loading screen is busted:

- Filtering works, but game looks meh:

b) High-level emulation (emu's / openglide's glide2x.ovl + nGlide)

- Goes fullscreen (thank god).

- Loading screen is correct:

- HUD is totally fucked:

- There's also heavy flickering when using the "chase" view:

Verdict: shit x2

Only high-level emulation has a point here.

Disable game's glide2x.ovl (from 1997) and use the one included with Daum's build (openglide from 2013). Disable Daum's glide2x.dll too (so nGlide's is used instead):

I bet somebody spent way too much time figuring this all out...

Install nGlide, disable V-Sync (or game will be choppy):

And voila.

Original 640x480 window, scaled to full screen. Everyting looks and works fine:

And speed? Well, >240 FPS:

Verdict: still the way to go, at least till low-level emulation in Staging catches up (if that ever happens)...

Last edited:

AndyS

Augur
Anyone can suggest a good (and easy to use) MSX emulator?
Last I heard, BlueMSX is still the main one and is fairly intuitive to use. Also can be used to emulate Colecovision and Sega SG-1000, and there's a Retroarch core if you prefer that.

flyingjohn

Arcane
What are the best options for ps1 3d games when it comes to shaders? Or is it just preferred to skip shaders?

Odoryuk

Educated
What are the best options for ps1 3d games when it comes to shaders? Or is it just preferred to skip shaders?
In my experience, for PS1 you either want some slight CRT smoothing (leave textures unfiltered, only smooth the whole screen), or full CRT simulation, like CRT–Royale, which requires high resolution (no lower than Full HD) and considerably performant system. The former is for fully 3D games, the latter is for 3D games with prerendered backgrounds (Final Fantasy 7-8-9, Resident Evil 1-2-3, etc.), for these games it is necessary to use shaders to blend 3D models with 2D backgrounds, otherwise it looks very ugly.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Been recently on an android emulation kick. I've had a Samsung Galaxy S20 phone for a couple of years now so I thought: why the fuck am I not taking advantage of its Snapdragon 865 chip and Adreno GPU and getting my android gaming on? It beats the tar out of my old Asus tablet. So I installed a shit load of ROMS and APK files. Didn't want to mess with a bunch of different emus for the 16-bit and 32-bit console eras so I used Lemuroid, a free, lite, highly-pre-configured Retroarch-based frontend with the better libretto cores. Can't say I'm too disappointed since it makes the resolutions of even the most godawful early video game consoles and handheld systems look acceptable using various fine-meshed shaders. Let's face it, GBA or GBC emulation on a big screen looks like dog pie, but with a decent shader on a 6.5" phone display, it looks as it was meant to look in the original hand-helds - crisp.

I still use standalone android emus for PS2 and PSX since they're better than what Lemuroid offers. I now have a portable hand-held gaming system in my hands with approximately 10,000 games. Next project: seeing what I can do with Magic DOSbox (which I bought off Google Play a few years ago... I'm not a total content thieving cunt, you know). I only wish there was a device where you could strap your phone to your head and pretend your 6.5" screen is 65". That tiny screen shit for gaming is jarring, junior.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Just tried the super duper c64 dreams collection.
-Cracked games with the added benefit of having no naming convention so you have no idea what group cracked it until you start the game.
-Using retroarch cores
-No manuals for specific games
-No deathlord, no simcity and some other glaring omissions.

Nice to see the 20+ gb being put to good use.The positive thing is that it does contain cartridge version of games + homebrew stuff like eye of the beholder.But missing manuals is such a glaring omission when it comes to older games since some of them are practically unplayable without one.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
There's a curated eXODoS-like collection for C64 called something like C64 Dreams. I found it rather ambitious and appreciated that he pre-configured all xinput and sony-type controllers (including noisome disk swapping using button combos on the controller... I still have nightmares about those 8 floppy disk C64 games) , and added proper viewports with correct aspect ratios so there wasn't all that wasted on-screen real estate. I found it rather nice when I tested it out a couple of years ago since I am done with manually configuring controllers and viewports in emus for these old systems. I think he still regularly updates it. The author told me something I didn't know - that you can change C64 color palettes (make colors more vibrant or more muted) just using shaders. I thought you had to change color palettes with complicated manual editing of config files in the emu.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom